Goodbye soda!... now what do I drink?

Options
A couple months ago I quit drinking my daily diet coke! YAY.... however, I find myself getting very sleepy somedays and when I need a quick pick me up, I don't know what to drink. Coffee makes me too shaky, and I only like it with lots of sugar anyway and I've been trying Lipton green tea packets in water, but by the time I get to the last swallow I'm gagging it down!

What does everyone else like to take to help them get through work or the day (or night, in my case)

Replies

• SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just drink more water. I gave up my daily cola a while ago and just substituted water. The tiredness goes away once your body adjusts to not having that sugar fix. I was drinking close to half a case of diet cola a day. It was tough giving it up but worth it!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I've always been a water drinker. For some reason cold water wakes me up like nothing else can.
  • ttspears
    ttspears Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have always drank water. Its great! I drink at least 8 glasses a day or more. Give it a try. You can do this.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    mostly water, seltzer when I absolutely need a bubbly fix, iced tea (either unsweetened or sweetened with stevia) and crystal lights new pure essentials (sweetened with stevia) when I want something flavoured (I really like their lemon-lime!) I was never really a huge soda drinker luckily but I can't handle artificial sweeteners (didnt realize I couldnt handle them till I stopped using them and noticed the difference!) so since I cant have diet and I dont want to spend the calories on regular I cut it out almost all the way.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Water or Waterfords Diet flavoured Spring water???

SOOO YUM! Its basically soda without the bad artificial sugars and only 6 cals per 250ml!!! And VERY LOW SODIUM TOO!

Or maybe flavoured teas??
  • gmattach
    Options
    Hi! I gave up soda a couple of years ago. And I was addicted!! I loved it!!! Now, I drink iced tea with splenda. I put 8 tea bags (not green tea) in a container of water in the microwave for 6 minutes. I put 1/3 cup of splenda in it and keep it in the fridge. Yesterday, I added 1/3 cup of lemon juice for a change and it was really good. There is no carbonation and no calories, but it does have caffeine. My name is Gina and you can add me as a friend if you want. :)
  • babyschatz
    Options
    You should try some quality tea, not Lipton :) Lipton isn't even a tea! Try classic black, earl grey or green (my favorite ever is sour sep). I also add a teaspoon of honey and even milk sometimes, absolutely delicious. Marshalls has good teas sometimes, check it out.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I take a pre trainer drink called N.O Xplode (found at GNC)

makes you alert, I don't get the jitters, and it also gets your body ready for physical training which means more cal burn! You can take 1 to 3 scoops a day. I just take one scoop unless I'm really dragging. No sugar and 25 cals per scoop.

Fruit Punch tastes yummy and I'm able to chug that down (you have to drink it 30 to 45 mins before you workout). My husband takes 3 scoops and within 5 min he feels it in his muscle and so pumped to hit the gym and go work it off.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i personally drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. (living in the south, if i'm on the boat or doing yard work in the summer, i increase that slightly) on a typical day i have 8 oz of coffee first thing in the morning, 8 oz of milk (cow, almond or soy) and my water.

i gave up sodas almost a year ago. there was the drag during my "detox" time, but i don't miss it now.

if you need a pick me up, try something healthy...Lindt's 85% cocoa bars are awesome. 2 squares are about 100 calories. the dark chocolate is GOOD for your heart, gives you a chocolate fix, and a slight boost with the concentrated cocoa. i stick to one or two squares a couple times a week.

you mentioned night...do you work 2nd or 3rd shift? are you getting enough rest? lack of rest will cause your body to shut down and also crave carbs, sweets and salts. as well as feel dehydrated and the need for a pick me up.

eat enough fruits and veggies to give you a natural boost.

CONGRATS on giving up the soda. even the diet is not good for you.

if you go to tea, try using sugar in the raw....it does not mess with your sugar levels like white sugars and is all natural.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    same old answer you aint gonna like it WATER arhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....sorry
    i must admit tho i do have problems drinking loads of water.....try having it in water melons!! lol
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    crystal light packets are great. I add 1 packet to a Liter bottle of water. Fruit punch and green tea mango are my favorite.
  • kimkimby9
    Options
    Hi, I, too, have an addiction to sodas-Pepsi! My family used to tease me that Pepsi was flowing through my veins! Now, I am diabetic and had a very hard time giving up the Pepsi. I have to have really really cold drinks or I just won't drink anything at all. I started drinking Koolaid with Splenda. Even my little grandchildren love it, and there's no sugar in it! I pour it into empty water bottles, then freeze it. When I want something really cold, I reach for a bottle of frozen Koolaid, and let it thaw for about 20 minutes; by then, it is of ICEE consistency, and I can't get enough of it! Water, to me, is so boring. It is best if frozen, then thawed just like the Koolaid, for about 20 minutes. Funny, when I was drinking Pepsi all day, every day, I only urinated a couple of times a day. But when I drink the water or Koolaid, I can hardly finish a 20-ounce serving and I have to go! My doctor told me that sodas with caffeine actually DEHYDRATE the body! I thought he was crazy until I saw the difference! So try the sugar-free Koolaid, and also the ice-cold water. You can give the water some flavor by squeezing a lemon into it if you like. Good luck with your weight-loss journey! I just started mine a few days ago and already lost 8 pounds! WooHoo! Kim.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly trying to wave myself off soda too..I've been cutting down. I have a 2 liter last for about 4-5 days (doesn't go flat) I drink about 7-8 cups of water a day sometimes more.
  • brownsbred
    Options
    I also recently quit the Diet Coke habit. I also had the same issue with getting sleepy during the day. I went to GNC and got a shaker bottle and mix Crystal Light packets in with water. They have packets that have "energy" which of course is caffeine. There are tons of flavors but I think the only flavor with caffeine is the strawberry. I have even recently found at Walmart they sell Great Value packets that are similiar to Crystal Light and alittle bit cheaper.....Im not a water drinker and this works ....
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Crystal light packets in the water - they are 10 calories though. I like ice cold water with lemon in it. I have a pop every now and then, but then I realize why I don't drink it anymore. Makes me feel so horribly bad.
    Crystal light has Energy flavors too!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Water normally. A cup of coffee when I need the caffeine.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lots of water. I recently discovered the little single serving sugar free Kool Aid packets that you can mix in water bottles, so if I am just plain bored with water I'll mix one of those and add a packet or two of Truvia to sweeten it up to my liking.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Lots of water. I recently discovered the little single serving sugar free Kool Aid packets that you can mix in water bottles, so if I am just plain bored with water I'll mix one of those and add a packet or two of Truvia to sweeten it up to my liking.

are the sugar free koolaids unsweetened totally or are they artificially sweetened?
  • patricialynnparks
    Options
    I am trying to do this too. I am in school right now and grabbing a soda seems easy and makes me feel alert. I am hoping that over time water can replace soda. I am 3 days into MFP and only had one soda. I have been trying to push water. Good luck to you too.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Eat an apple and drink water or maybe a cup of tea (iced or warm depending on season). An apple has the same energizing effects as a cup of coffee or a soda, and if it's in the afternoon, usually I kinda get munch hungry at that time any way...