Night time snacking

Options
I am so good during the day and don't even crave anything bad but then it all goes to hell at night! Can anyone help me control this?

Replies

• beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking water or brushing your teeth. i have the same problem so i know how hard it is :/ the cravings do start to go away after a while as long as you dont give in.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    You have to fight those cravings. I used to have a hard time. Now, if I get super hungry, I have a small snack and then I go brush my teeth and that helps. My hard time is when my period is getting ready to start. Then forget it, I'm ready to eat everything.
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I just make sure that I have calories available for a snack. I know everyone's different, but I like ice cream...usually a cup of light ice cream, sometimes with some sugar free hershey's syrup. Other snacks that work for me are sugar free chocolate pudding with light whipped topping, or a mini cinnamon & raisin bagel with Weight Watchers Whipped Cream cheese and a sugar free hot chocolate. I know some people would say that is not healthy or too much chemicals or whatever, but it works for me!
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    i never thought about brushing my teeth to stop the cravings! kind of saying to your body, "no that's enough"! i heard mintyness is supposed to curb cravings...

sometimes i will indulge in things made the "healthier way" as well.

one of my tricks is sweet potato fries with hotsauce :) i use 1/2 a large potato.
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    i have a 60 calorie fudgesicle or some cereal at nite for a small sweet satisfying snack ..also if you have a lite beer it will fill you up
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issues.... I can't wait to hear the rest of the comments.
  • pjbarbie
    Options
    I guess my idea goes along with the brushing - I chew a piece of strong mint gum (Spearmint, Wintergreen, Peppermint) nothing tastes good after that.

Eventually cravings do go away, you just have to retrain your body. If you can't help it, read the label and only eat one serving.

"Deserts" or sweets are served at the end of a meal because it signals your body that you're done eating. Peppermint calms the muscles of the stomach and improves the flow of bile, which the body uses to digest fats. As a result, food passes through the stomach more quickly. That's why it's a popular flavoring for gum, toothpaste, antacids, stomach ache remedies..... also why they give an 'after dinner' mint with your check at the restaurant. :)
  • peterfigueroa
    Options
    if that always happend, get some 100 calories snacks and make them part of you calorie intake, like fiber one snacks.
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    for sure. and it's always okay to indulge in moderation and to take that into account for your food plan for the day.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I find getting as far away from the kitchen is best without leaving home (you could go for a walk but it depends how late at night you are up and whether that’s safe or sane, lol). I go watch TV upstairs rather than downstairs then I'll probably be too tired to go down and grab food. If you live in an apartment or condo however it’s hard to escape.
  • rosemary10
    Options
    I like the peppemint or other herb tea with a bit of agave (low glycemic) syrup. Then there's 1 square of dark chocolate (43 cals). And I try to not snack 2 hrs before bed. If that's not possible then I get a bit of protein with it < like maybe 3 crackers with some hummus.
  • hawkeye01
    Options
    Like many others, I stick to the low cal option snacks and just ensure I have enough calories left in the day. The trick is to not go over which is often very difficult. I also drink a lot of water and then wait for the craving to go away. The downside to that is you may have to get up a few times in the middle of the night to pee. :)