Heard of this? "Garcinia Cambogia 60%"

Options
I came across a link to this on facebook. Have any of you heard about this or tried it?? I would seriously wonder about the risks of doing this. I know that losing weight too fast is not good.

I am trying, struggling, to lose weight because a med I'm on is making me gain weight....even though I'm trying to track calories & be more active, I feel like I'm just trying to maintain my weight because of this med. :-(

Replies

• Effie_Doss
    Effie_Doss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I ran across that too and I looked into it. Seems like a ginormous fad to me.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I came across a link to this on facebook. Have any of you heard about this or tried it?? I would seriously wonder about the risks of doing this. I know that losing weight too fast is not good.

I am trying, struggling, to lose weight because a med I'm on is making me gain weight....even though I'm trying to track calories & be more active, I feel like I'm just trying to maintain my weight because of this med. :-(

1. It is a waste of money.
    2. You do not know how it would interact with your current med.
    3. Calorie deficit for weight loss
  • BrownKibbe
    BrownKibbe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Garcinia Cambogia was actually mentioned by a guest on the Dr. Oz show and it sounds promising; however, having purchased every pill out there, I always, always go to the Dr. Oz show website, get his recommendations (he never, ever names a brand name) and then go by that. It has to be pure Garcinia Cambogia, certain milligrams, 60% or above HCA and not artificial ingredients, fillers, etc.

My mom wanted to try it so my dad asked me about it and I ordered a bottle off of Amazon. If you want to private message me, I can tell you more about the brand name but since I just started taking it today, you might want to wait a week and message me then. I am very weight loss resistant, some due to medications for breast cancer/antidepressant but mostly because I have so much weight to lose, I give up super quickly and don't stick to diets very long! ; )

Kristi B.
  • mrstrivette
    mrstrivette Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Even if the stuff does work, & you loose weight that fast, wouldn't you have a bunch of loose hanging skin??? How would you get rid of that??? Thanks to my last two pregnancies, I have what's called "diastisis recti" of the abdominals. The muscles aren't where they are s'pose to be. I had purchased a splint that over time, is s'pose to help strengthen the muscles & put them back in their proper place. My plan was to shed some pounds first & start wearing the splint when it starts getting chilly. I'm really considering getting off this med. It isn't an absolute NEED; just keeps most of the burning sensation in my leg away so that I feel better.
  • BrownKibbe
    Options
    My understanding is a little help with weight loss and NOT a miracle substance at all. It will help one to lose a little more than they would without it but there is no miracle or believe me, I would have found it by now! Ha!

If you can find the Dr. Oz show on the internet, you can watch the actual broadcast and see that without any diet or exercise, averages show that people lost some weight, but not miracle at all. Just a little help.

Hope this helps some.

Kristi B.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

1. It is a waste of money.
    2. You do not know how it would interact with your current med.
    3. Calorie deficit for weight loss

This.

Plus, Dr. Oz is not a credible source for weight loss advice. He has peddled a variety of products, claiming that each one was the secret to losing weight.

Next week, it will be something else.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    HCA, even when provided in large quantities, does not increase total fat oxidation in vivo in endurance-trained humans.
    --http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/6/1445.full
    Garcinia cambogia failed to produce significant weight loss and fat mass loss beyond that observed with placebo.
    --http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=188147
    The evidence from RCTs suggests that Garcinia extracts/HCA generate weight loss on the short term. However, the magnitude of this effect is small, is no longer statistically significant when only rigorous RCTs are considered, and its clinical relevance seems questionable. Future trials should be more rigorous, longer in duration, and better reported.
    --http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobes/2011/509038/

Edited to add a further quote from that Journal of Obesity article:
    Most (7/12) RCTs reported adverse events, with headache, nausea, upper respiratory, and gastrointestinal tract symptoms being the most frequent ones. In most of the trials, there were no significant differences in adverse events between HCA and placebo. This seems to corroborate the report in another article [34] which suggested that HCA is safe for human consumption. A few of the studies reported a positive effect of HCA on the blood lipid profile [6, 24, 29–31], while one did not find any significant difference between HCA and placebo on this blood parameter [2]. However, given the short duration of the studies involving the use of HCA, it is unclear how safe this dietary supplement is on the intermediate and long term. In 2009, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned consumers about the potential for serious adverse effects associated with the consumption of hydroxycut, a popular HCA-containing slimming pill. This resulted in the withdrawal of this supplement from the market [35].
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    All this will lighten is your wallet/purse.

A calorie deficit is what you need. It may be harder because of the meds but this won't help. Plus as pointed out it may react with your meds, so not worth it.
  • BrownKibbe
    Options
    Good to know the facts. I won't be purchasing another bottle, that's for sure!
  • mrstrivette
    mrstrivette Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input!!! I will certainly stay away from it! Too many problems with my body already. :-(
  • txguard61
    txguard61 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Over the past 5 years I have tried alot of different diet supplements. None of them gave any resultsother than dehydrating me. There is no magic pill. I have lost 23 lbs since April this year by making and measuring all my meals 1 day ahead of time and over eating 1 day a week. It takes alot of patience and discipline. Losing weight is work!!! If you don't want to do the work, you will not get the desired results.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My major advise is to take ANYTHING Dr. Oz says with a grain of salt. The man gets paid to peddle anything and everything. He used to actually be credible but he no longer is. Its a rather sad thing to know this man makes money off of people who feel hopeless. it's like the Biggest Loser that way...completely unrealistic weight loss approach for the average person...SMH
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Is there any other types of meds, that your doctor could prescribe?
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Oh lord.. my mom is all about this stuff too because Dr Oz SAID SO!!! He also endorses the HCG and Raspberry Keytone.....Dr Oz :noway: :yawn:
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I tried it. It suppressed my appetite, and within a few weeks my craving for sweets was almost nil. The only side effect I had was dry mouth...it seemed like I was always thirsty. And I did lose ten pounds...I stopped taking it, though, because I started liking the gym more and losing it the hard way might make it stick a bit more, than going the easy route.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    My major advise is to take ANYTHING Dr. Oz says with a grain of salt. The man gets paid to peddle anything and everything. He used to actually be credible but he no longer is. Its a rather sad thing to know this man makes money off of people who feel hopeless. it's like the Biggest Loser that way...completely unrealistic weight loss approach for the average person...SMH

This!!!
  • gomezeureka
    Options
    Yes , I've heard about Garcinia Cambogia . Be careful with this weight loss supplement, because of its high demand, there are a lot of fake products that are sold way too cheap in the market. You should check carefully the labels, and as much as possible to read all the product reviews of that supplement. Remember, you are going to add that to your system ,so don't risk anything by using the wrong and ineffective products because it's just a waste of time and money. So choose wisely.

I used the Garcinia Cambogia by Polaris Brand, it's a made in USA product. It's 100% money back guarantee, just go to Amazon and search for Garcinia Cambogia Polaris Brand. I highly recommend it as it is very effective and safe. It works perfectly fine for me, as it controls my appetite. I am very busy at work and don't have enough time to enroll myself to gym. I lost 15lbs by just regularly taking up the supplement. Go and check it out for yourself. Good luck!
  • Sagit775
    Options
    No kidding! Garcinia Cambogia is not for everyone, but for those who just don't have the time to work out at the gym and need a little help with losing weight, the benefits of Garcinia are great, helping to burn fat, increase energy, suppress appetite, enhance mood.
    Just be careful when you purchase it to make sure that it's at least 60% HCA, which works by blocking the conversion of starches and sugars into stored fat. Also, there are many brands on the market today coming in from China with lots of fillers in them.

Take them as directed and, of course, you will increase your weight loss with some additional exercise and a proper healthy diet.

thebestweightlosssupplements.net
  • nicenhealthy
    Options

Agree. He is full of it. Thinking against buying the product now.
  • nicenhealthy
    Options
    HCA, even when provided in large quantities, does not increase total fat oxidation in vivo in endurance-trained humans.
    --http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/6/1445.full
    Garcinia cambogia failed to produce significant weight loss and fat mass loss beyond that observed with placebo.
    --http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=188147
    The evidence from RCTs suggests that Garcinia extracts/HCA generate weight loss on the short term. However, the magnitude of this effect is small, is no longer statistically significant when only rigorous RCTs are considered, and its clinical relevance seems questionable. Future trials should be more rigorous, longer in duration, and better reported.
    --http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobes/2011/509038/

Edited to add a further quote from that Journal of Obesity article:
    Most (7/12) RCTs reported adverse events, with headache, nausea, upper respiratory, and gastrointestinal tract symptoms being the most frequent ones. In most of the trials, there were no significant differences in adverse events between HCA and placebo. This seems to corroborate the report in another article [34] which suggested that HCA is safe for human consumption. A few of the studies reported a positive effect of HCA on the blood lipid profile [6, 24, 29–31], while one did not find any significant difference between HCA and placebo on this blood parameter [2]. However, given the short duration of the studies involving the use of HCA, it is unclear how safe this dietary supplement is on the intermediate and long term. In 2009, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned consumers about the potential for serious adverse effects associated with the consumption of hydroxycut, a popular HCA-containing slimming pill. This resulted in the withdrawal of this supplement from the market [35].

Thankyou! :flowerforyou: