Since when is a size 12 an "XL"?

Options
12346»

Replies

• BooBoo1264
    BooBoo1264 Posts: 164
    Options
    I wouldnt really go too much on sizes at lululemons.

I am a size 12 and i wear their size 6 pants. with the drawstrings on most pants too. its pretty generous.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be dense here, but I never, ever see stuff bigger than a 14 in stores. 12-14 is definitely XL as it's the top of the size range in straight-size stores. Lulu is the rule, not the exception, and their clothes fit me the same as any other store. I don't have to size up or anything. Plus, it's all so stretchy that I used to be able to go a size or two smaller to suit my own vanity, actually. I wore a 4 there when I was a 6 most other places.

Stores do what fits their image and makes a profit. It's nothing magical or unexpected. No store can cater to everyone.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I thought it always had been. The clothing is a standard Misses' sizing.

0-2 = XXS
    2-4 = XS
    4-6 = S
    6-8 = M
    8-10 = M/L
    10-12 = L
    12-14 = XL

Above 12-14, the sizes change to a Women's sizing.

Some stores have adjusted so that 4-6 becomes XS, but it is a vanity adjustment. They also have adjusted Misses' clothing to go up to sizes 16-18 so that they can market to more people.

If you're upset by this, imagine Japan. a size 6 petite is XL or XXL in many stores.

QFT. For as long as I can remember "Plus Sizing" has started at size 12. Even LB starts at size 12 and in my memory always has.

Nope, sorry. Ten years ago 14-16 was XL.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    I thought it always had been. The clothing is a standard Misses' sizing.

0-2 = XXS
    2-4 = XS
    4-6 = S
    6-8 = M
    8-10 = M/L
    10-12 = L
    12-14 = XL

Above 12-14, the sizes change to a Women's sizing.

Some stores have adjusted so that 4-6 becomes XS, but it is a vanity adjustment. They also have adjusted Misses' clothing to go up to sizes 16-18 so that they can market to more people.

If you're upset by this, imagine Japan. a size 6 petite is XL or XXL in many stores.

QFT. For as long as I can remember "Plus Sizing" has started at size 12. Even LB starts at size 12 and in my memory always has.

Nope, sorry. Ten years ago 14-16 was XL.

Some of us are comparing to 30 years ago...I can remember that far back. Sears catalog when I was 12 is pretty powerful stuff. :wink:
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Here's the other thing - maybe I've never been bothered by L vs XL because, lets face it,I'm large.

I am 5'10. I have size 10 feet. I have a 33" inseam, and I have wide hips.

Even when I was in the "ideal" weight range for my height? No one was EVER going to call me "small." I will be still be LARGE or even EXTRA LARGE if I lose so much I'm underweight.

I'm big, I take up space. Fact.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    One of my very extra-large coworkers once suggested to me that I shop at a plus-size store. I'm a size 6-8, depending on the clothing store. For some reason, the store I buy jeans at sells odd numbers, so I'm a size 7 there. My dimensions are so unusual, though. I have massive hips, but no overly large butt or thighs to balance me out, so she suggested that I try there and see what they can come up with. I would imagine lots of those stores would be more used to catering to unusual proportions. I'm typically a medium when I shop, but it's not like I'm offended when I go into a different store and find that I happen to be a large in their clothing. Everyone should just wear what they want and ignore marketing crap, because that's just what it is: crap. Yeah, it makes shopping for clothing incredibly frustrating when everyone doesn't have a uniform size, but that's the world I live in. It's also why I pretty much never go shopping. Too time consuming.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    No one sees the tags on your clothing anyway.

Sure, the smaller number makes me feel good..... But honestly, as long as an item of
    clothing fits well and flatters my figure, I could care less what size the tag says.

What a breath of fresh air...I''ve been trying to live by this philosphy, but it's been so hard for me.....
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i don't know, i take more issue with stores like old navy, who sell plus size clothes but ONLY online. love the message of 'sure we'll take your money but we don't want to see you in our stores, fatty.'

I don't know if its just around here, but I have gone to a few different Old Navy's stores (some in Canada and some in the US) and have had no problems finding plus sizes in their stores at all.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Sure, the smaller number makes me feel good..... But honestly, as long as an item of
    clothing fits well and flatters my figure, I could care less what size the tag says.

I totally agree. It's like the scale...no one knows that number but you (unless you advertise it). Most people look at me and guess that I weigh a good 15-20 pounds less than I actually do. *shrug*

ETA: When I was plus-size, the ONLY place I could find clothes that fit me properly was Old Navy. So the whole "no plus size available in stores" must be regional.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

Going to try to keep this in mind, good philosophy!
    For some reason, the store I buy jeans at sells odd numbers, so I'm a size 7 there.

The reason is that its a Juniors store - odd numbers are Juniors sizing. Even numbers are Misses.
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think the key thing to keep in mind here is that one size 12 woman is not equal to another.

I'm 5'8" and even when I was a size 12, XL clothes did not always fit me properly because of where I carry my weight (in my middle).

However my mom (who has larger hips and a tush to boot) wears a size 12 and fits in to M shirts very nicely.

My little sister (who is 5'11" and is a size 4) has to wear M shirts sometimes because she has a 32 DD chest.

My point is that body shape has just as much to do with sizing as weight does.