Some one convince me... NROLW

Options
As the title says, someone convince me that this is a book worth buying...and go!

No seriously... convince me I should take the time to purchase and read this book and apply its info.

Its 14.99$ in the nook store

Replies

• beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Take it out of the library for free and see for yourself?
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Take it out of the library for free and see for yourself?

Good idea..... but still looking for more than that
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You could probably find all the info you want in this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    As the title says, someone convince me that this is a book worth buying...and go!

No seriously... convince me I should take the time to purchase and read this book and apply its info.

Its 14.99$ in the nook store
    I think it would be easier for us to understand why you are considering it, and then we can elaborate on those reasons with facts, anecdotes, and whatever. Do you have any reasons/goals/thoughts about it currently?
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm on my last week of phase 1. I haven't lost any weight through it, I have lost inches though. If you are a scale fanatic and can't handle the scale going up then heavy lifting may not be a great plan (if you have never done it before). I love increasing my weights and seeing how strong I am. That said I would not get an electronic version of the book, I tried it on my Kindle and was really disappointed and ended up buying the real book, borrow the real deal from the library or buy the real thing.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Why do you want us to convince you? Do you want to learn weights? Do you want to learn form? Get stronger? Get leaner? If you need help with that stuff then buy the book. Doesn't have to be that book, there are others, but that is a very informative book.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm not a salesman. It's not my job to convince you of anything. Either you want to lift heavy or you don't. Since you're on here begging to be talked into it, I'm going to go ahead and suggest that you're not currently in the right frame of mind for committing to a real program.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Just get the kindle sample
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'd like to suggest an alternative. Stronglifts 5x5....there's at least one group on here doing it and if you google it there's lots of info on it. Less exercises than NROLW. Good luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have this book and used it. I lost 4 dress sizes in a year using it. I have since gotten lazy.

I actually didn't follow the routines religiously, but applied the nutrition advice. It's worth the read just for that.
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    I'm not a salesman. It's not my job to convince you of anything. Either you want to lift heavy or you don't. Since you're on here begging to be talked into it, I'm going to go ahead and suggest that you're not currently in the right frame of mind for committing to a real program.

I love lifting heavy

Convince = give me 'your' pros and cons of the program - from people who 'have done it' - called experiences - dont jump down my throat if you dont feel like explaining anything, especially if you cant take the way people phrase things with a grain of salt

I havent found the right program 'for me' hence the research questions. This is my method, I overly examine and ask questions before committing, I dont see anything wrong with that
    Why do you want us to convince you? Do you want to learn weights? Do you want to learn form? Get stronger? Get leaner? If you need help with that stuff then buy the book. Doesn't have to be that book, there are others, but that is a very informative book.

I know weights fairly well for a beginner. I don't do barbie weights, but i know i still have alot to learn. I need to learn form better, getting leaner is always on the list. I find I cant stay interested in an overly complicated program. So I am trying to find one that isnt and is still effective.
    I'm on my last week of phase 1. I haven't lost any weight through it, I have lost inches though. If you are a scale fanatic and can't handle the scale going up then heavy lifting may not be a great plan (if you have never done it before). I love increasing my weights and seeing how strong I am. That said I would not get an electronic version of the book, I tried it on my Kindle and was really disappointed and ended up buying the real book, borrow the real deal from the library or buy the real thing.

Thank you!
    I think it would be easier for us to understand why you are considering it, and then we can elaborate on those reasons with facts, anecdotes, and whatever. Do you have any reasons/goals/thoughts about it currently?

Youre right i should have posted actual questions/goals...

I like to lift weights, Im not a cardio bunny, I need to lose weight change my shape build muscle, feel better, I am still on the hunt for a 'program' that can allow me to set a goal and keep me interested. I started with beach body programs, and while they helped me I am not willing to spend any more money on more programs like that.
    I see alot of people talking about it and was wondering what people like about it and if its worth buying the book reading it and giving it a go.

I did read the kindle sample, which is what prompted this post.

(ETA: changed some of my language i might be overly sensitive today)
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    I have this book and used it. I lost 4 dress sizes in a year using it. I have since gotten lazy.

I actually didn't follow the routines religiously, but applied the nutrition advice. It's worth the read just for that.

Thank you Husky! - those are the kinda things i was looking to hear - real deal holy feel opinions on it lol
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    I'd like to suggest an alternative. Stronglifts 5x5....there's at least one group on here doing it and if you google it there's lots of info on it. Less exercises than NROLW. Good luck!

Thanks I tried SL5x5 and found i got bored with it, had some workouts logged in the app and everything....
    I'm wondering if NROLW would be still overly complicated because you say sl5x5 has less exercises.
  • gwenr
    Options

Thanks I tried SL5x5 and found i got bored with it, had some workouts logged in the app and everything....
    I'm wondering if NROLW would be still overly complicated because you say sl5x5 has less exercises.

I don't find it exciting by any stretch of the imagination, but it's crazy effective, so I just push thru. I like it because it's simple and doesn't take a very long time to complete.
  • gwenr
    Options
    oops...anyone want to tell me how to 'quote'??
  • gwenr
    Options
    Forget it! Found it...jeez, I'm beyond SLOW today.....
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    haha panties in a twist much?

Didnt see any begging, and you dont know what my frame of mind is. I love lifting heavy

Convince = give me 'your' pros and cons of the program - from people who 'have done it' - called experiences - dont jump down my throat if you dont feel like explaining anything, especially if you cant take the way people phrase things with a grain of salt

I havent found the right program 'for me' hence the research questions. This is my method, I overly examine and ask questions before committing, I dont see anything wrong with that

You asked people to convince you to buy the book. When someone suggested that you check it out from the library for free and take it for a spin, you said that wasn't good enough. That's not what I call research. That's what I call refusing to take initiative and begging other people to do your thinking for you. You got bored with Stronglifts, probably didn't even bother to complete it. But yeah, I don't know anything about your frame of mind. You're absolutely ready to tackle a challenging lifting program. My apologies.
  • mommabenefield
    Options

Didnt see any begging, and you dont know what my frame of mind is. I love lifting heavy

You asked people to convince you to buy the book. When someone suggested that you check it out from the library for free and take it for a spin, you said that wasn't good enough. That's not what I call research. That's what I call refusing to take initiative and begging other people to do your thinking for you. You got bored with Stronglifts, probably didn't even bother to complete it. But yeah, I don't know anything about your frame of mind. You're absolutely ready to tackle a challenging lifting program. My apologies.

Aaaand here we go.... smh.. didn't know this thread would become one of these.

You do know what a "review" is yes? They are put there to 'convince' people of the pros and cons of something.

I don't call that doing my thinking for me I call that asking for opinions that may or may not convince me to purchase a book.

And you don't know what my circumstances are for declining the library option, although a very good suggestion. I am sure somewhere between my looking up the book and posting this thread I thought to myself "is the library an option?" In my case its not.

But you are obviously superior. You came into the thread and offered some very constructive points about why you do or don't like the program, while assuming you could analyze my ability or commitment to begin a workout regimen, based on my request for some reviews, in this case, hopefully convincing me this book would be worth the purchase. And I am sure you have never gotten bored with something a day in your life right?

Right here is a flower for your efforts :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Aaaand here we go.... smh.. didn't know this thread would become one of these.

You do know what a "review" is yes? They are put there to 'convince' people of the pros and cons of something.

I don't call that doing my thinking for me I call that asking for opinions that may or may not convince me to purchase a book.

And you don't know what my circumstances are for declining the library option, although a very good suggestion. I am sure somewhere between my looking up the book and posting this thread I thought to myself "is the library an option?" In my case its not.

But you are obviously superior. You came into the thread and offered some very constructive points about why you do or don't like the program, while assuming you could analyze my ability or commitment to begin a workout regimen, based on my request for some reviews, in this case, hopefully convincing me this book would be worth the purchase. And I am sure you have never gotten bored with something a day in your life right?

Right here is a flower for your efforts :flowerforyou:

Hate to break it to you, but Casey is 100% right. Her attitude is the reason she's accomplished so much, and your attitude is the reason you haven't.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

Solid truth.

OP, you won't accomplish anything unless you take initiative. Do the research for youself. Spend the money, get the book, or don't. If you're not new to weight lifting then you should be able to make that decision on your own.

If you need to work on form, NROLFW is not the book for you; it is sadly lacking in technique. I suggest Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe.