Craving things, needing to binge at night

Options
I work late at night, usually my work is done around 12-1AM and by that time, I got hungry. I usually eat well during the day and most of the time manage to have some spare calories for my free days around the weekend but then when it's the end of the day, I just feel like it is OK to going crazy eating-because it is a new day now and I feel as if I still have a lot of calories left. Then...I will have a hardest time convince myself not to eat more than my maintenance calories. I am either crave something crunchy or something sweet. Sometimes I cave in and eat up, resulting with me gaining water weight-which takes several days for me to recover from this issues.

Does anybody gone through the same thing?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have low blood sugar that time of the day. Maybe you should snack healthy earlier so you don't get to that point?

I read an article in the NYTimes recently that said both our will power was lowest at that point of day and so was our blood sugar. A bad combo.
  • jenniferb_00
    Options
    I wish I knew how to avoid the cravings. I have trouble eating enough during the day so once i come home, i have dinner and then i cant seem to stop eating. This often leaves me either eating at maintenance of going over. I have done pretty horrible these last few days. But definitely eating enough during the day does help, or it has proven to help me, its just hard to manage sometimes.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Eat your biggest meal when you get home then.

What I mean is plan for it.

If you eat 1600 calories per day do it like:
    meal1 350cals
    meal2 350cals
    meal3 350cals
    after you come home eat 550cals

I am guessing the cals but you get the point. Just plan to "binge" and allow for it. If you want to eat at night, by all means just do it. Just make sure you have calories left at night.

I know some people say don't eat before bed, but trust me it won't kill you. It won't even do much harm at all.
  • iamfatbutnotforlong
    Options
    good info from helpfit
  • graceliggett
    Options
    Yeah, I totally know what you're talking about. I used to bartend, and the combination of being physically tired, emotionally needing to "calm down", and actually hungry led to some really bad over-eating for me! I found a few things to be helpful. The first is, when I got home, before I ate anything I would get into comfy clothes, wash my face, and stretch out flat for 20 mins. I told myself I could eat anything after 20 minutes, but had to relax first. Then, it's helpful to have healthy options around, even if they aren't what you're craving. Sometimes I think we are just craving the motions of eating! So things like veggies or light popcorn or rice cakes can allow you to eat a lot without wrecking your calorie intake. It's tough, though, hang in there!!! Also, if you are able to eat a string cheese or something protein-heavy while you are working, you might be less hungry when you get home. Hope this helps!
  • buchtucr
    Options
    @splashbob, I suffer the same thing, since I am working around that time of that as well. I would recommend a protein shake. Very low carbs and will fill you up. I usually will do 1 scoop instead of two and do 1/2 unsweetened soy milk and 1/2 water. I have the strawberry flavor and it takes like a milk shake. For the crunchy/sweet side not sure what your diet is, but there are protein bars out there that are pretty tasty and wont kill your diet.
  • buchtucr
    Options
    I agree @graceliggett , those caramel rice cakes are to die for, but of course in moderation. They are so delicious, you can go overboard.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I really had to start paying attention to when I want to eat all the foodz. For me, it's around 4pm... right before I get off of work, as well. I started planning a snack at that time. I always make sure to pre-plan an afternoon snack. I was craving chocolate... so I started having a chocolate protein bar. If you generally crave salty or crunchy... find something healthy that will satisfy, and pre-plan it so that it fits into your day. Pickles? Dried fruit chips?

Also, your diary doesn't HAVE to go from midnight-midnight. If you are on a different schedule, you can always keep your day from 6-6 or from awake-sleep. Whatever hours those are for you. Might make for better planning....

The thing that is going to make this work long term for you though, is listening to your body. Not going to bed hungry. Learn your habits, then you can learn to control them. :wink: Good luck!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I have this problem terribly. I eat very sparingly during the day specifically to allow myself a bit of a binge. Problem is, I generally end up going over, right as I'm nearly asleep. What makes it worse is that I'm by no means on a clean diet at all. I drink a beer (sometimes two) after work, eat junk food, etc, as long as they fit into my calories.

The main problem is now that I'm marathon training, I'm finding it extremely difficult to maintain. I've put on a couple of lbs because I'm so ravenous all the time. I've read that some people do put on a couple of pounds during the height of marathon training. I'd rather not, as any extra ounce I'm carrying will wear me down - I'd like to be as light as possible.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to change up your meal schedule depending on your sleep schedule. Eating a filling breakfast and lunch and a smaller dinner is fine for people who are awake and active 6am-6pm but if your awake late into the night, try to have a very light breakfast (if you have to have it) and small lunch and the. Let your dinner and late night meal be bigger so your not hungry going to bed.

Also... Best thing I have ever found for binging is to not binge on one thing. If you must eat a lot and know te going to happen, force yourself to eat a variety. Try to make your self eat a serving or two of fruits or veggies or a sandwich before you dig into the cookies or ice cream. Then you'll get full first on the healthier food and you will fill up quicker. Eating junk doesn't fill you up and satisfy because its typically empty carbs and high sugar, therefore you end up eating a ton until you are stuffed because it isn't satisfying your hunger, it just tastes good!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    binge on sex instead
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Crave something crunchy and sweet - try making up bowls of sugar-fee jelly with slices of apple - filling and healthy snack :)

Certain times of the month I just crave carbs, trying not to give into this as the more carbs you eat the more you want them. Snacking on raw cauliflower and broccoli.

Hope you shut your cravings up - with healthy low cal options :wink:
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I always want to snack around that time too. It is really hard to avoid eating a lot. I try to buy healthier versions of the junk food that I like. At that time I just want to relax and eating is enjoyable. It is hard to be motivated late at night.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I crave sugars, my body is actually wanting protein. When I'm craving salty snacks (like chips or crackers), my body is actually wanting fats. For the former, I eat something high in protein (chicken strips, salmon, protein bar/shake, egg); for the latter, I eat something high in "good" fats (avocado, olives). This usually does the trick, especially if I catch it WAY before the want-to-binge occurs. It is best to have a good ratio of protein and fats included in every meal to keep you sated. Then your body doesn't feel like it has to catch up at the end of the day (causing binge behavior).

Good luck!
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Crave something crunchy and sweet - try making up bowls of sugar-fee jelly with slices of apple - filling and healthy snack :)

Certain times of the month I just crave carbs, trying not to give into this as the more carbs you eat the more you want them. Snacking on raw cauliflower and broccoli.

Hope you shut your cravings up - with healthy low cal options :wink:

Do you really snack on broccoli at midnight? I think that is awesome, but I don't know how you do it. I'm usually trying to not eat too much ice cream lol.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Eat your biggest meal when you get home then.

What I mean is plan for it.

If you eat 1600 calories per day do it like:
    meal1 350cals
    meal2 350cals
    meal3 350cals
    after you come home eat 550cals

I am guessing the cals but you get the point. Just plan to "binge" and allow for it. If you want to eat at night, by all means just do it. Just make sure you have calories left at night.

I know some people say don't eat before bed, but trust me it won't kill you. It won't even do much harm at all.

This. Working late is hard, but I think if you plan for a meal after you get home, you'll do ok.
  • jemfermree
    Options
    Do you take any medications at night that might be making you munchy? I take one med that practically propels me out of bed and into the kitchen right as I am about to fall asleep. It's the weirdest thing...
  • justfine2009
    justfine2009 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Night time is the worst time for me. I will stay on plan all day and blow it at after 7 pm.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories at night. I prefer to be hungry with the option to eat food in an hour vs be hungry knowing I have no more calories. It doens't matter when you eat, so long as you do. I agree with the PP who suggested eat more at night.
  • soontobeskinnytbird
    Options
    I've found that when I crave sugars, my body is actually wanting protein. When I'm craving salty snacks (like chips or crackers), my body is actually wanting fats. For the former, I eat something high in protein (chicken strips, salmon, protein bar/shake, egg); for the latter, I eat something high in "good" fats (avocado, olives). This usually does the trick, especially if I catch it WAY before the want-to-binge occurs. It is best to have a good ratio of protein and fats included in every meal to keep you sated. Then your body doesn't feel like it has to catch up at the end of the day (causing binge behavior).

Good luck!

^^ This. I also found that I was craving stuff at night. I've started to have a late afternoon high protein snack (chicken, tuna, cottage cheese or yogurt etc) and I have found this really helps me. Only being doing it this week though so just hoping the affect lasts!! ha ha.