Plateau from HELL!

Options
I went from 245 to 205 by calorie counting. I started this clear back in March of 2011. At the beginning of 2012 I began running again. I ran almost 40 miles a month and got all the way down to 170.

By this time I wasn't calorie counting anything and my appetite for carbs and everything else was insatiable. After a few months of not seeing the scale move at 170, no longer having enough time to run and not being able to add anything else into my schedule... I tried to see if I could maintain. I have... apparently my body has just stopped.

I can run miles, do strength training, lower carbs add protein and fats, calorie count, eat like a pig at every fast food chain for two or three weeks and my body doesn't respond. It just fluctuates between 170-180. Never any higher, never any lower.

I'm lost. I don't know what else to do to get this going again?

Help!

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Track Everything you Eat.. make sure you eat your calories (just a few days looks like you eat less than 1000 calories without any exercise calories).. your in the area where it isn't going to be as easy as it was before.. and be consistent.. pick one or 2 changes and stick with it for 2 months before switching.
  • Sometimes I do eat only so many calories. If I'm eating low carb, then most of the calories are veggies and such, so they don't add up to much. I always feel weird eating more calories rather than less... I'm just not sure what to eat or what exercise to do to get it all going.

I will say that I haven't stuck with anything for a while. I'm getting so agitated being stuck. I can see the extra weight that needs to come off and I've maintained long enough for this to get going again. It also burns me up that I can spend weeks eating garbage and be the same size as when I bust my *kitten* on the trails.
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Keep your carb intake as low as possible (so let's say 60% protein , 30% carb , 10% fat) , stop cardio and focus only on strength (higher intensity) for 1 month , it 100% blasts any plateau
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do eat only so many calories. If I'm eating low carb, then most of the calories are veggies and such, so they don't add up to much. I always feel weird eating more calories rather than less... I'm just not sure what to eat or what exercise to do to get it all going.

I will say that I haven't stuck with anything for a while. I'm getting so agitated being stuck. I can see the extra weight that needs to come off and I've maintained long enough for this to get going again. It also burns me up that I can spend weeks eating garbage and be the same size as when I bust my *kitten* on the trails.

1. Log accurately (and count everything, including veggies)
    2. Weigh everything
    3. Be consistent
  • Can I get some examples of strength training that I should be doing and for how many reps? I hate the back of my arms and my thighs! lol
  • But what should I be doing? I used to log like a Nazi... nothing changing.
  • sezzytucker
    Options
    I know how you feel. I only have 24lbs to lose. I am 2lb away from goal but I started in January so it's taken ages to lose this smallish amount of weight. The 1st 11lb came off really quickly then I had a 2 month plateau and then a few more pounds came off then I stayed the same for 6 weeks or just went up and pound then back down a pound. I run at least twice a week usually 4 - 6 miles and do circuit training with weights 3x a week.

You just have to stick with it. Don't give up. Your body is going to protest and it needs to adjust. You need to look at the positve that during this period your weight is being maintained and you not gaining weight back. It will happen. Don't let all your hard work go to waste.

It's also important to have all your calories during the day. Under-eating will not help the weight shift as your body will want to hold onto it more. I am on 1200 a day but on the days I don't exercise I usually have around1300 - 1400 and since doing this it's starting to shift again (2.5lb in the last 2 weeks). Try to have more calorie dense but healthy food, lean protein, salmon, beans with your veggies which will make up the calories. I also do the 80/20 rule so up to 20% of my calories a day are a treat food.

Also maybe try some new exercise to shake things up a bit and let your body do something different. Circuit training with weights works well for me. Raising heart rate and toning muscle at the same time.
    Good luck chick - just stick with it. x
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    First think I'd say is that you aren't eating enough. Way too many 900 calorie days in your diary, and that's not enough food, and eating too low isn't giving your body any reason to want to burn fat.

If I were you - first thing I'd do is go read this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 Read it twice, or ten times if you need to, but read it and understand the info there. Then grab a measuring tape, and using the tools and step by step instructions in the thread, run your numbers and find your BMR and TDEE. Make sure you follow the steps in the thread, which are slightly different than the instructions on the calculator.

Once you're armed with these numbers you have your boundaries - you want to eat in between BMR and TDEE, probably about a 20% cut from TDEE to get your daily goal.

You mentioned strength training - if you have access to heavy weights, like barbells and all the big stuff, start a lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules Of Lifting for Women. If you enjoy running, keep at it, but don't go crazy with it - three days of lifting, three days of running (or walking, or kickboxing, or whatever cardio you want to throw in there). Take rest days.

Absolute best results I've had with losing the fat has been since setting my goals according to that thread. And I don't even lift heavy - no gym, and no space at home for the big weights, but I do the best I can with dumbbells at home, and running - my workouts are rarely over an hour per day, and if they are it's usually because of a 20 minute dog walk. :tongue:

Eat well - food is fuel! Eat your calories, drink water, exercise, get good sleep, take rest days, repeat.
  • bob_day
    Options

Help!

Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and learn to enjoy healthful foods.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight will fluctuate, but with a constant diet it should trend down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

7) Maintain your exercise program.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Help!

1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and learn to enjoy healthful foods.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight will fluctuate, but with a constant diet it should trend down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

nope. Still wrong bob
  • First think I'd say is that you aren't eating enough. Way too many 900 calorie days in your diary, and that's not enough food, and eating too low isn't giving your body any reason to want to burn fat.

If I were you - first thing I'd do is go read this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 Read it twice, or ten times if you need to, but read it and understand the info there. Then grab a measuring tape, and using the tools and step by step instructions in the thread, run your numbers and find your BMR and TDEE. Make sure you follow the steps in the thread, which are slightly different than the instructions on the calculator.

Once you're armed with these numbers you have your boundaries - you want to eat in between BMR and TDEE, probably about a 20% cut from TDEE to get your daily goal.

You mentioned strength training - if you have access to heavy weights, like barbells and all the big stuff, start a lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules Of Lifting for Women. If you enjoy running, keep at it, but don't go crazy with it - three days of lifting, three days of running (or walking, or kickboxing, or whatever cardio you want to throw in there). Take rest days.

Absolute best results I've had with losing the fat has been since setting my goals according to that thread. And I don't even lift heavy - no gym, and no space at home for the big weights, but I do the best I can with dumbbells at home, and running - my workouts are rarely over an hour per day, and if they are it's usually because of a 20 minute dog walk. :tongue:

Eat well - food is fuel! Eat your calories, drink water, exercise, get good sleep, take rest days, repeat.

I am seriously excited to try this out! Can you add me and help me out? It's so frustrating to me that I can have fast food for my meals for 3 weeks, be 176 and then run 5k 3x a week for months and be 6lbs less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FML!
  • I know how you feel. I only have 24lbs to lose. I am 2lb away from goal but I started in January so it's taken ages to lose this smallish amount of weight. The 1st 11lb came off really quickly then I had a 2 month plateau and then a few more pounds came off then I stayed the same for 6 weeks or just went up and pound then back down a pound. I run at least twice a week usually 4 - 6 miles and do circuit training with weights 3x a week.

You just have to stick with it. Don't give up. Your body is going to protest and it needs to adjust. You need to look at the positve that during this period your weight is being maintained and you not gaining weight back. It will happen. Don't let all your hard work go to waste.

It's also important to have all your calories during the day. Under-eating will not help the weight shift as your body will want to hold onto it more. I am on 1200 a day but on the days I don't exercise I usually have around1300 - 1400 and since doing this it's starting to shift again (2.5lb in the last 2 weeks). Try to have more calorie dense but healthy food, lean protein, salmon, beans with your veggies which will make up the calories. I also do the 80/20 rule so up to 20% of my calories a day are a treat food.

Also maybe try some new exercise to shake things up a bit and let your body do something different. Circuit training with weights works well for me. Raising heart rate and toning muscle at the same time.
    Good luck chick - just stick with it. x

How should I try circuit training? I've never done before?

• I'm lost. I don't know what else to do to get this going again?

Help!

nope. Still wrong bob

That's what I thought... this seems horrid?
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    First think I'd say is that you aren't eating enough. Way too many 900 calorie days in your diary, and that's not enough food, and eating too low isn't giving your body any reason to want to burn fat.

Listen to her. Good advice.
  • Should I try WW to bust the plateau?
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Ditto. Worked for me. I've added heavy lifting and am seeing even better results now too.
  • lisamac62
    lisamac62 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Should I try WW to bust the plateau?

Really....:noway:

All the exceptionally great advice above here and that is something you would consider?...and I'm done
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Well, let's start out with some basic information.

Height
    Current Daily Calorie Goal
    Daily Activity level
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Ditto. Worked for me. I've added heavy lifting and am seeing even better results now too.

And a third vote for this one. I used that thread, and broke a two-year plateau. I'm down 11lbs and going strong. Know your numbers, eat more, and lose more. It sounds crazy, but it works...