Can't seem to lose weight!

Options
124»

Replies

• astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    my comment was from experience at her age. overweight and eating WAY too little all i managed to do was drop a few lbs (which she has already done) and then nothing so i kept eating the same amount plus walking as exercise and guess what i wound up fainting from the combination. still that didn't stop me until i fainted a 3rd time which resulted in a trip to the doctor because my parents were so concerned and of course had no idea what i was doing to myself. no i didn't have an eating disorder but i was desperate to have a body like the models in magazines and was willing to eat as little as possible to get it (keep in mind this was in the late 80s/early 90s when kate moss was the new "it" girl).

I can understand that, and I think your health issues about fainting is just what I was trying to point out as the real danger of overdoing it. You may not have had an eating disorder yet, but it is the path to developing one if you're not careful!
  • mpawlicki
    mpawlicki Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    my comment was from experience at her age. overweight and eating WAY too little all i managed to do was drop a few lbs (which she has already done) and then nothing so i kept eating the same amount plus walking as exercise and guess what i wound up fainting from the combination. still that didn't stop me until i fainted a 3rd time which resulted in a trip to the doctor because my parents were so concerned and of course had no idea what i was doing to myself. no i didn't have an eating disorder but i was desperate to have a body like the models in magazines and was willing to eat as little as possible to get it (keep in mind this was in the late 80s/early 90s when kate moss was the new "it" girl).

I can understand that, and I think your health issues about fainting is just what I was trying to point out as the real danger of overdoing it. You may not have had an eating disorder yet, but it is the path to developing one if you're not careful!

First time I went on a diet (I cycle for loss and gain) I did it with too little calories as well. I was at only 1200 vs 1500-1600. It doesn't sound like much, but it was. I was always hungry and tired. Had no energy to workout. I felt prone to injuries and my body took much longer to recover from exercising. On few occasions I got light headed, though did not fall.
    Now that I do same on the right number of calories, it's a whole different experience. I lose on average 2 lbs per week. Sometimes it's 1, sometimes it's 3.

Not saying this is the way to go for everyone. That's what works for me, so I stick with it. I know exactly what it takes and how long it takes. Counting calories is a pain in the a**, but after a while you got them all memorized and you can guess really well what's on the plate.
  • mpawlicki
    mpawlicki Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey, one other thing, though it may be very controversial here.

Reward yourself. I do that. It doesn't make me fall off the wagon. When I make good progress, I treat myself to something good. It might a beer, or a burger, or an oatmeal cookie. I do this every couple weeks or so. If you do, just make sure it is not a feast. Keep it small and enjoy it while it lasts. One cookie every couple weeks hasn't killed anyone (I don't think).
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    'Gorgeous guy... not hungry... can't eat...'

A case of lovesickness, I'd say. ;-)

Ah to be young again.

Instead of old, bitter, twisted... *sigh*

ha wish this was true! Before my Mr id say i would of had to lose 14lb ..... Now its 63lb (20 already gone) love made me fat! :L and OP i have nothing to add just hope you start eating more calories!
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options

There is some truth to the body slowing down bodily functions to conserve energy. The slow down is maybe a couple hundred calories, if that. However, this only really happens when your body gets very close to its critical levels 12% for women. Thyroid functions and cortisol will rise at those levels to protect the body from dipping in to its survival reserves -- the body needs a certain amount of fat to protect itself. If you can see your abs clearly, then you are at those levels. If not, then you have nothing to fear.

That's simply not true. Metabolism slowdown happens fast, and *can* last a long time after you stop eating a VLCD. None of the Biggest Loser contestants got their body fat percentage that low during the show, yet repeat testing of their metabolic rate showed their metabolisms had slowed SIGNIFICANTLY more than would have been expected from weight loss alone.

The classic "Minnesota Starvation Experiment" found drops of up to 40%. If you do the math, you can see that for a short woman that can, in fact, drop her metabolic rate so low that she can hit the point where she is maintaining on less than 1000 a day.

Yeah, if you cut far enough, you can continue to lose even if you've done that to your body. Me? I don't want to have to live like that long term, and I don't want to worry about how to fit in all the essential nutrients and vitamins on that little food. I think its worthwhile to eat more, do it slowly, and not scare my body into thinking I'm living in some version of The Road.
    in the experiment you site, the subjects ate nothing at all for weeks except water. It is not the same as eating reduced calories.
  • JenniferTravis9
    JenniferTravis9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I get way too full too fast and even trying to eat more frequently, where I feel like all I do all day is eat, I am coming up short on my calories! I think this is why my metabolism has basically told me to go **** myself! I have NEVER had a problem overeating and I am moderatly active, but since having my 4th child and turning 30 (Im 32 now) I have managed to put on quite a bit of weight! Whoever thought that not getting enough calories would cause your body to make you gain weight? Well if I knew then what I know now, maybe this wouldnt have happened! I am 5ft 4in and 185 lbs! I lost 5 lbs in the past week with the more frequent eating although I am still only averaging about 950 cal a day! Dont pat attenrion to what it tells you you will weigh, just try to eat more frequently, healthy whole foods and exercise at least 30 min daily at moderate pace. You should see some result from that despite what it tells you on the read out!
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of problems getting into a routine that I can stick to, but I've done really really well over the last month and here's what works for me: PLANNING EVERYTHING :)

Seriously it helps so much because once it's all planned, you don't have to think too much about it. I haven't eliminated all pre-packaged food yet but eventually I'd like to try it.

Here's what my day looks like today:

Breakfast: Chobani Greek Yogurt & Coffee

AM Snack: Fiber One Protein Bar

Lunch: Carrots and Cucumber with Hummus

PM Snack: Apple (small)

Dinner: Baked Chicken with Panko Bread Crumbs and Parmesan Cheese - 4 oz breast (added recipe to MFP); 1/2 cup brown rice; 1 1/2 cup steamed peas

Dessert: 2 squares Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate

All carefully measured and added up comes out to 1201 calories. Most of my days go something like this. I started out at the end of July at 207.7lbs and I'm down to 197.0 in just over a month. I'm 25 years old so a little older than you.

My diary is open...feel free to take a look (although with this past weekend being the start of football season and a holiday, you might not want to use those days as the best examples of a typical day).

I try to buy and make things that are easy to find at the store and relatively quick and easy to prepare. My husband is ridiculously picky to boot (although he's been trying new things to be supportive of my lifestyle changes).

If you go check it out (EDT: my diary) and want some additional info feel free to message me or comment on the post. I'm happy to share how I make things and my grocery shopping list. I'm ridiculously organized with those things because I coupon and keep a price book so it's really no trouble for me to share :)