Drink mixes? (Crystal Light, etc)

Options
How does everyone here feel about drink mixes/water additives (Crystal Light, Mio, etc)? Better, same, or worse than diet soda or gatorade? I recently re-discovered CL and find myself drinking A LOT more water now. I only use half the packet because using the whole thing is too sweet for me. So I need 2 bottles of water for just 1 packet, and thats ~32 more oz of water I otherwise probably wouldn't have drank. Though, this is not every day, but a few times a week.

Is what I'm doing just as bad as my old 1-2 cans of diet soda/day?

Replies

• runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I"m a huge fan of Gatorade Propel Zero mix. It's basically just a water-flavor powder, but it has a few vitamins in it - & more importantly, i upped my water intake from 5-6 glasses to over 11/12 each day without even trying.
    now i combine regular water with flavored, but it was the perfect way to start.
  • Jewles1285
    Options
    Well in my opinion, any type of water intake is BETTER than soda and this is why. When you drink soda whether it be diet or not, the carbination expands your stomach resulting in a larger food intake! I am a living experiment of that! So i drink the MIOs and the Liquid additive of powerade in my water so that i can get the recommended amount!
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I am with you: but I dilute mine even more than that; straight up it is just too sweet for me.

I am on the fence with artificial sugars. Personally (that means me, just me, no one but me) I don't think the science is definitive one way or the other. So, like you, I use it to get more water in me, when I am sick of plain water, or just want to change things up. Not everyday, but a couple times a week. If it is working for you, go for it.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's as bad as the soda because like you said, it results in you drinking more water than you otherwise would have. I wouldn't worry about it since it's only a few times a week.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I find them a bit too sweet as well so I water them down quite a bit. I mix up a whole pitcher and then add up to 1/2 cup to a glass that holds nearly 3 cups. I don't mind drinking plain water here at work as it's filtered but at home there's a slight taste that I just can't get past so the flavoring is necessary.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I use mio because it has no aspartame in it, but I only use once in a blue moon when I just really want something other than water to drink. For the most part, I only drink water.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I use one packet CL in 40 oz of water. Our water even filtered has a strong chemical taste and can't afford 4-6 bottled waters/day. This makes our water drinkable.