Feeling sick while exercising?

Options
ohmyjiggle
ohmyjiggle Posts: 71 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So today I started doing some exercises, I don't exercise at all.

And Everytime I attempt or start, I get this Sick, dizzy, exhausted nausea feeling that literally stops me dead in my tracks like I need to stop, do nothing and close my eyes for a good while.

Has anyone had this problem, what can I do to stop this, an what coul be causing it?

I feel terrible right now. :(

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Not enough information to begin to even guess at a cause.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this?

Are you eating enough? Are you pregnant?
  • spammarino
    spammarino Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should speak to your physician before starting an exercise program. You may just need to build up to the level you were attempting. What is your diet like? You may be taking in too little (or too many?) calories.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it can be normal, if you're pushing yourself further than what your current fitness levels allow. If it's this, take things more slowly. You don't have to kill yourself, for general health, you just have to move more and get to where you feel warm, out of breath and your heart is pumping hard. If you feel very ill and you're not pushing yourself very hard, then you should see a doctor as it could indicate an underlying health problem.
  • hollymartin90
    hollymartin90 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    sometimes this happens to me :( think its if you exercise without having eaten/drank enough that day.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I echo other people who recommend seeing a Dr.
  • ohmyjiggle
    Options
    I probably take in less calories then I should. I usually only eat dinner. I also am not pregnant this always happens to me when I attempt to start an exercise regimen. It's very discouraging to spend 15 minutes exercising to feel sick right after for an hour or two. I also have no health insurance, therefore have no doctor :(
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Lack of food would cause the symptoms you are describing. You should eat enough to fuel your workouts, i.e. 1-2 hrs before and also right afterwards. Additionally, if you're not eating properly generally, a pre-workout meal 1-2 hrs before won't help much. You need to fuel your body properly or it isn't going to function right. You wouldn't run a car without any petrol in it, then wonder why the engine won't start....
  • spammarino
    spammarino Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Starving your body is counterproductive and won't result in weight loss. You should check out some nutrition articles and read up on Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). You've also got a great forum here with members always looking to help out and help encourage each other.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I agree. You should a meal with protein 1-2 hours before exercising, have a snack after the workout, eat a proper lunch and a proper dinner. You shouldn't be eating any less than 1200 calories a day. You are feeling sick and dizzy because your body has no nutrients or energy to run off of. Also, if you don't exercise very often or at all, I would start out with maybe brisk walks around the neighborhood and stuff like that to get your body more used to it.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I probably take in less calories then I should. I usually only eat dinner. I also am not pregnant this always happens to me when I attempt to start an exercise regimen. It's very discouraging to spend 15 minutes exercising to feel sick right after for an hour or two. I also have no health insurance, therefore have no doctor :(

It sounds like you know what's going on. Hopefully you will begin eating enough so that your body doesn't shut down on you when you try to exercise.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    Options
    Dehydrated. I've had all thsoe symptoms to a T before when I used to play competitive soccer. Those scorching hot summer tournaments are killers #_# when you feel like that, drink a Powerade and two waters. Hope you feel better OP:)
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You only eat dinner....as in you only eat once a day? Why?????
  • ohmyjiggle
    Options
    I don't know "why", its just a habit. I have been like that since forever, I get up in the morning get my son off to school my baby to daycare, work, go to appointments, come home and cook dinner clean up and go to bed!
  • ohmyjiggle
    Options
    Thank you, that makes sense.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,677 Member
    Options
    So today I started doing some exercises, I don't exercise at all.

And Everytime I attempt or start, I get this Sick, dizzy, exhausted nausea feeling that literally stops me dead in my tracks like I need to stop, do nothing and close my eyes for a good while.

Has anyone had this problem, what can I do to stop this, an what coul be causing it?

I feel terrible right now. :(
    Could be a miriad of reasons: low blood pressure, undigested food, workout is too strenuous for you, incorrect breathing technique, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Yes, that was happening for awhile. First off, I suggest you consult you doctor to make sure nothing serious is wrong.

I was getting sick during exercise before I found out I was soy intolerant. I also went the doctor and found out I have acid reflux, which requires a medication.

Always make sure you keep hydrated, especially during exercise.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I don't know "why", its just a habit. I have been like that since forever, I get up in the morning get my son off to school my baby to daycare, work, go to appointments, come home and cook dinner clean up and go to bed!

you need to make yourself a priority a bit more... maybe make something the night before that you can take to work, and something that's really easy to prepare quickly for breakfast. It's easy to get caught up in taking care of everyone else that you forget to take care of yourself.... but you want your kids to have a healthy mother who's got the energy to play games with them...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    because you are just starting
    its a shock to your body,
    go into it gradually
    and drink lots and lots of water
    and make sure you are eating good.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

It's very unhealthy to eat one meal a day. You need to eat at least 3 meals a day to keep fueled. Have you set up you profile in MFP yet?

When you get nauseated at any time, your body is trying to tell you something.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Lack of food would cause the symptoms you are describing. You should eat enough to fuel your workouts, i.e. 1-2 hrs before and also right afterwards. Additionally, if you're not eating properly generally, a pre-workout meal 1-2 hrs before won't help much. You need to fuel your body properly or it isn't going to function right. You wouldn't run a car without any petrol in it, then wonder why the engine won't start....

I agree. If my blood sugar drops too low when I'm active or if I'm just underfueled in general, I can feel this way. Eat food. Drink water. Fuel your body. It's an important factor if you goals are to lose weight and be more fit. Take care.
This discussion has been closed.