Is there something wrong with the scale?

Options
Ok, I just weighed myself this morning and it said I gained 3 pounds in the past day? I have kept under my calorie goal and have worked out daily. Does anyone know why the scale jumps so high one day and drops back down another???

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Your normal body weight can flucuate up to 4lbs either way based on water weight, did you eat a lot of sodium?
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Most of the time its water retention..... it really can change daily......I weigh myself mostly every day, but maybe you can just set a certain day of the week and weigh only once a week, so that you don't drive yourself mad!
  • davischiky
    davischiky Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your normal body weight can flucuate up to 4lbs either way based on water weight, did you eat a lot of sodium?

YES! The night before I had a packet of Lipton Cup of Soup... IM sure that is loaded with sodium.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's probably water retention! I stepped on the scale Monday and I was shocked that I had gained almost 3 pounds over the weekend--especially since I worked really hard to stay within my calories and exercise!--and today the water weight is gone and I'm down over a pound and a half on top of the 3 that I lost from Monday's weigh-in.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    many things can affect the scale. weigh yourself only at the same time everyday, water weight can affect the scale, bloating do to pms, muscle gain from exercise, and so on.....

Dont let it get you down, almost everyones weight can fluctuate within 3-4 lbs everyday!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Stop worshiping the scale!

Another user passed this on to me when I recently gained 2 lbs. I'd been working out every day along with eating under my calorie goal and still gained.

http://marckent.com/288/why-the-scale-lies/ (via: cakefarm)

2 days after going up 2 lbs I checked this morning and I've lost 3 lbs. My next weigh in isn't till Monday so who knows where the scale will be at that point. I promised myself not to get so focused on the scale. It really is just a number.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My scale can fluctuate up to 5 pounds depending on where I stand on it.

So I wouldn't sweat it.
  • hodgepodge
    Options
    Thank you everybody! I really needed to hear that. I was also getting discouraged with the scale. Why is it soooo easy to put on and so hard to take off?