Newbie seeking help

Options
Hello Everyone – This is my second try at weight loss using this site. I did not use all the tools it offers last time but I’m keen again to give it all another crack properly. I became overweight after getting a desk job and then making poor lifestyle choices.

My end goal weight loss is somewhere is 20kg / 45 pounds and I have maintained my weight for the last 2 years using body trim principals and other various fad diets. I have educated my self on healthy eating and fitness but for me it’s the eating I have a problem with the most. I would not say I eat for emotional reasons.. although some days I just could care less and eat like a pig :( I guess because I’m lazy…but more because I’m finding it “Just too hard” and facing daily challenges/ excuses to eat unhealthy and exercises when I should.. so it’s time to change my attitude to food and introduce some good habits with a little help from some MFP friends I hope to find/make along the way to keep me motivated. If anyone sounds kinda like me perhaps months/long ago I would really like to get some help getting started thanks.

I would like to talk about everyday challenges that come up and getting past excuses.

Replies

• iceflow
    iceflow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

The way I make sure I stay on track is to make sure I work the foods I love into my week. For example there is absolutely nothing wrong with consuming a whole pizza on a Tuesday night. You just need to plan ahead. At first I would randomly consume 3000 calories at some point in the week, I'm not sure if it was emotional eating, boredom or just cravings getting ahead of me.

I recently learned to cook, didn't spend a penny mainly used youtube and online guides. So now I know exactly what goes into my food, I can enjoy a pizza, a curry even a piece of cake and not feel bad because I know exactly how many calories are in there. So I can fit it into my weekly food schedule.

Try eating more often also, I found that helped me stop caving in and pigging out of cereal at 9:30pm. For example 6 small meals a day work much better for me than 3. Always have a good breakfast.

I also did this, it helped me a lot. I took a photo of myself shirtless and put it on the fridge. It may or may not work for you but it made me think twice before opening it.

Also look up "cheat days" or "cheat meals" they work for some and don't for others. Experiment, find what works for you!

I was definitely like you a few months back. I actually flew through the first 20 pounds and then just fluctuated from 190-200 for 3 months. I lost sight of my goals but now I'm back on track! Good luck to you feel free to add me
  • jasetheace79
    jasetheace79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, do you have any web sources on low calorie foodsto get me started? something that is easy to read and pretty much spells out , breakfast, lunch, dinner choices .. oh and snacks too. I really need to change the way i think about eating
  • pandamaniiiac2011
    Options
    I'm always here if you need to talk or just need motivation:)
    good luck!
  • iamwilso
    iamwilso Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Jase, easiest thing is to shop the exterior of your supermarket, meat's fruits and veg are usually found on the exterior of the store, stay away from them isle's this is were all the tempting processed/packaged food's hide. This is a simple way to give healthy eating a kickstart. In time when you get used to this you can start to limit some of the higher cal item's from there. Im in a similar situation as I eat like a horse, I maintained my after my brocken collar bone and am now back loosing it again, this simple and doable system has been working for me. Keep it simple and take it easy it'll happen if you have patience and if you get off track get back on.
  • iceflow
    iceflow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks, do you have any web sources on low calorie foodsto get me started? something that is easy to read and pretty much spells out , breakfast, lunch, dinner choices .. oh and snacks too. I really need to change the way i think about eating

Well for example I always eat a good breakfast as it stops me snacking at work during those first few sleepy hours. I usually have something like an omelette with 3 medium eggs, 2 of which are just egg whites, 25g cheese and a couple of pieces of low fat ham or mushrooms.

With the ham I use that is about a 300 calorie breakfast. That will fuel me right til 2pm where I get lunch, I often eat home-made veggie soup or a salad.

Then I can enjoy whatever I like within reason for dinner. I always carry around some low calorie snack bars in the car, my bag. Just in case I do get hungry, stops any risk of me getting weak and going to the chip shop for lunch or binging on crisps out of the vending machine.

When at home and your near your daily calories but absolutely starving, a good trick is to drink a couple of pints of water and eat a piece of fruit (try and avoid fruit stuffed with fruit sugar) grapefruit is a good fruit to get into! Some people also find comfort drinks work, for example there aren't a whole lot of calories in a cup of tea, just avoid sugar and use low fat milk if wanted.

Eating well is brilliant for getting started,
    http://www.eatingwell.com/

This was also shown recently and I found it quite educational.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show-recipes/cook-yourself-thin-recipes

Good luck!