Questions about weight loss when I cant do to much cardio

Options
I have been dieting and exercising for a year and ONE month today. I used to run 5 miles a day 5 days a week do weights sit ups push ups and sometimes a video here and there. But now Ive moved into an apt and its becoming winter (Im getting a stationary bike from my Parents in a few weeks) Can i still continue to lose weight if I leave my calories cut, eat healthy, do sit ups pushups free weights, jumping jacks until i get the bike? So far Ive lost 58 lbs total. I went from 235 to 177 in a year but for the passed few months i havent gained or lost.. so i would love some advice on here i eat about 1200 calories a day i eat lots of fruit veggies meat mostly water ONCE in a great while Ill drink soda. i do about 30 mins of free weights 400-500 jumping jacks a day 100 sit ups and about 40 push ups a day (I dont do them all at once i do sets and rounds of them) please help!! :) Thanks

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do any exercise to lose weight.
  • lilcutemonkees
    lilcutemonkees Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try increasing your calories a couple hundred a day? With all that exercise I imagine your body could do with it. Also perhaps some brisk walking/several rounds up and down the steps to add in some cardio. Agreed exercise isn't necessary but in other health terms it is and also helps create a defined look rather than a scrawny one so keep up the good work :)
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Strength training is far more effective for weight loss than cardio alone. Strength training builds muscle, which burns more calories. I recommend some power yoga and/or getting some dumbbells and doing high rep/low weight strength training. Workout DVDs are awesome!

If you have been running five miles, five days per week, why stop just because it's getting to be winter? Just dress appropriately and if you will be out when it's dark, just make sure to have a flashlight and wear reflective clothing. I wouldn't let weather hold me back!

Keep up the great work!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with zero exercise, plenty of people do just that. MFP gave you 1200 calories based upon ZERO exercise. The 1200 calories is a NET figure, when you log exercise you get calories added back. The reason for added calories, losing weight too fast results in muscle loss as well as fat loss. 1200 is already a big deficit. A plateau could mean you're not eating enough.

Re: running indoors .... you might consider a rebounder (mini trampoline).
  • segooey
    Options
    As several have stated, you are not eating enough. You have to eat back at least some of your exercise calories to keep your machine moving forward, otherwise things can stall out, which is sounds like they have.
  • MrsCarpenter719
    MrsCarpenter719 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies!!! I do free weights (Dumbells) I have two 10 lbs. I do three reps with each weight exercise that i do. Also Im stopping running during the winter because I take my 2.5 yr old daughter with me and i cant really push a stroller through snow and i dont want her out in the cold with all that wind thats why. If i had someone to watch her while I ran during the winter i would but my bf works nights during the winter and i work days so its hard. I will try to increase my calories and do stairs while Im at work ( i already walk them everyday because one i hate elevators and two im on the third floor lol) So i get a lot of stairs in during the day! :) Again thank you all for the advice and I will try to do all the suggestions! :):):) xoxox
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, don't increase calories if you are going to stop the running, but still eat correctly for whatever level of activity you are doing.

Just take recommended weight loss goal (1 lb), be honest with daily activity (Lightly Active with little girl), log your strength training and eat back most of those calories.

That gives you a reasonable deficit every day, exercise or not. That's how you lose weight, and hopefully just fat loss, not muscle.

You should try to use those weights better though, I'm betting 3 reps is like nothing. Get up to 20 reps max. If still strength to do more, do it again and again for 3 sets.
    Start with bigger muscles first, legs.
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Totally don't take the baby out in the cold!! that is a game changer! I get that, wouldn't do it either :)

I would try some DVDs that mix weight training and cardio. That way you push yourself to do what the DVD is asking for and you won't get bored. If you have the funds, maybe you could join a gym that offers babysitting and take some classes. Good luck.
  • MrsCarpenter719
    Options
    Thanks Im glad you understand!! I have a few videos have to get them from my parents house this weekend!!! :) Thanks again for the advice
  • MrsCarpenter719
    Options
    Oh correction for weights i dont do 3 reps haha i do 3 SETS of 25 each. and I do about 5 different weight lifting exercises with my free weights!!! And thanks I wont increase my calories then if i wont be running. but ill eat back my work out calories for sure!! Thanks
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do any exercise to lose weight.