Some one convince me... NROLW

Options

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Because you've heard enough about it to know that it has worked for a lot of people and you can grab a used copy for less than $8 and find out for yourself.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    *shakes head* Oh mommabenefield you should know better!

One never asks anyone an opinion on anything and one doesn't simply just go to Amazon or some other website to read reviews to try and decide for themselves whether or not something is for them!

FWIW: While I never actually did the 5x5 program I did download the information on it and I'm fairly certain I'd be bored to tears by the third week.:wink:
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Convincing - My topic post. Doing NR was the best thing I did.. at least for me.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1073485-progress-in-a-fashion

The short version
    b23ae995-219c-44c9-80c9-244d6929e623_zpsaa49839c.jpg
    I'm heavier in the pic on the right - but thanks to New Rules...
    The book is worth every penny.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hello:
    I am just finishing up this workout and I have enjoyed it. Unlike one of the previous posters, I read the nutrition part but stuck largely with the nutrition plan I had already established on MFP. On the other hand I have followed religiously the workout in the book exactly as written.

I worked with a trainer for one year lifting before doing this program.

I have enjoyed the workout because each level has a different combination of exercises which I found physically challenging and I found that the change was good for me both physically and mentally (to not get bored). That's my opinion.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight...you like lifting "heavy"...you've done Beachbody stuff (not lifting heavy)...and tried SL 5x5 and got bored (an actual heavy lifting program and save for Starting Strength, one of the best beginner "heavy" programs on the planet)...but you want to convince us that you like lifting heavy while we convince you to try a program that actually has some complexity to it (NROL4W) when you've already stated that you basically quit when it gets overly complex...yeah...you totally got this.
    "I like to lift weights, Im not a cardio bunny, I need to lose weight change my shape build muscle, feel better, I am still on the hunt for a 'program' that can allow me to set a goal and keep me interested. I started with beach body programs, and while they helped me (eta before they do not help me now) I am not willing to spend any more money on more programs like that.
    I see alot of people talking about it and was wondering what people like about it and if its worth buying the book reading it and giving it a go.

I did read the kindle sample, which is what prompted this post. "

I like to lift weights.

Im not a cardio bunny.

I am still on the hunt for a program. -this does not mean I dont do any weight lifting or activity while I am looking.

I STARTED with beach body programs
    -Lifting heavy weights is relative to a persons fitness level at the time what i was doing was heavy

I was wondering if this was worth it

I got bored with SL5x5 obviously that means its not right for me

I dont know how complex NROLW is HENCE THE QUESTIONS!

I dont quite understand how all this confusion has occured.
    You're assuming I am lazy and want the easy route and i have a bad attitude? Knowing nothing of my history other than the general statements i have made in this thread.
    Dont know how all this was gathered by a person asking for "convincing" regarding a purchase
    What makes this program worth it Pros and Cons?
    That is it thats all i wanted.

I HAVE done research and thought the 'lovely' folks of MFP could offer their opinions OF THE PROGRAM NOT OF ME.

Witch hunt much?

celebrity-pictures-gary-busey-crazy-people.jpg

At this point, I would suggest abandoning thread. Join the NROLW group. I did, myself, today.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

I have learned over the years that if you miscommunicate yourself in the OP, you will get no forgiveness later, no matter how much you attempt to clarify or apologize. People are just going to come in here, read a few posts, gloss over others, and then offer up their opinion on your "need for convincing" because after all... that's what this thread is supposed to be about right? :noway:
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I'm not a salesman. It's not my job to convince you of anything. Either you want to lift heavy or you don't. Since you're on here begging to be talked into it, I'm going to go ahead and suggest that you're not currently in the right frame of mind for committing to a real program.

Harsh but true, I was going to say something similar. NROL4W is a great book and program. If you're ready to commit to lifting heavy and bettering your body, it's a great place to start. We shouldn't have to convince you of that. If it's simply that you don't want to pay for the book, you can find it fairly easily for free online (though I'm not condoning that...I'm just poor a lot of the time so I understand financial concerns).

It was the sarcasm of her response that irritated me.

As for the rest thats basically what i was looking for. As another poster mentioned poor choice of words on my part in the OP...
    i dont like purchasing things that arent worth the purchase but you seem to get that.

I am ready to commit to heavy lifting which is the reason for the search just trying to decide what will workout best for me ....

SL5x5 was a good place to start although i didn't continue with it, i still incorporate what I've learned from it. Just looking for something else now.
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    So let me get this straight...you like lifting "heavy"...you've done Beachbody stuff (not lifting heavy)...and tried SL 5x5 and got bored (an actual heavy lifting program and save for Starting Strength, one of the best beginner "heavy" programs on the planet)...but you want to convince us that you like lifting heavy while we convince you to try a program that actually has some complexity to it (NROL4W) when you've already stated that you basically quit when it gets overly complex...yeah...you totally got this.
    "I like to lift weights, Im not a cardio bunny, I need to lose weight change my shape build muscle, feel better, I am still on the hunt for a 'program' that can allow me to set a goal and keep me interested. I started with beach body programs, and while they helped me (eta before they do not help me now) I am not willing to spend any more money on more programs like that.
    I see alot of people talking about it and was wondering what people like about it and if its worth buying the book reading it and giving it a go.

I did read the kindle sample, which is what prompted this post. "

I like to lift weights.

Im not a cardio bunny.

I am still on the hunt for a program. -this does not mean I dont do any weight lifting or activity while I am looking.

I STARTED with beach body programs
    -Lifting heavy weights is relative to a persons fitness level at the time what i was doing was heavy

I was wondering if this was worth it

I got bored with SL5x5 obviously that means its not right for me

I dont know how complex NROLW is HENCE THE QUESTIONS!

I dont quite understand how all this confusion has occured.
    You're assuming I am lazy and want the easy route and i have a bad attitude? Knowing nothing of my history other than the general statements i have made in this thread.
    Dont know how all this was gathered by a person asking for "convincing" regarding a purchase
    What makes this program worth it Pros and Cons?
    That is it thats all i wanted.

I HAVE done research and thought the 'lovely' folks of MFP could offer their opinions OF THE PROGRAM NOT OF ME.

Witch hunt much?

celebrity-pictures-gary-busey-crazy-people.jpg

At this point, I would suggest abandoning thread. Join the NROLW group. I did, myself, today.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

I have learned over the years that if you miscommunicate yourself in the OP, you will get no forgiveness later, no matter how much you attempt to clarify or apologize. People are just going to come in here, read a few posts, gloss over others, and then offer up their opinion on your "need for convincing" because after all... that's what this thread is supposed to be about right? :noway:

Agreed!!! i might read any of the more productive responses but i am 100% through with useless ones.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

If you need to work on form, NROLFW is not the book for you; it is sadly lacking in technique. I suggest Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe.

thank you that is helpful

While I 100% agree with Starting Strength (and think it's hands down the best beginner program on the planet)...you already tried SL which is basically the same thing in a 5x5 format and got bored. I'd suggest that you really don't have interest in lifting "heavy"...you may have some interest in resistance training and overall fitness, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't really want to lift "heavy". Heavy lifting is synonomous with big compound lifts (boring but highly effective for optimal strength and muscle gains) and repping to failure...it's not really "exciting" per sei...though I do find pulling 1.5 to 2 times my body weight dead of the floor pretty friggin' cool...

If you're serious, then read several of these books, and pick a program that works for you. Pure and simple.

If you want opinion, mine is that Starting Strength is the way to go. These basic programs don't vary that much, but Rippetoe is dead on when it comes to form and technique.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's actually a really interesting book. I'm terrified of going to the gym to lift weights (I mean, like, dead terrified) but the information in the book is great and it's damn near convinced me.

I just bought some weights and modified the workouts so I could lift at home. You don't have to go to the gym and the book has some alternate versions of some exercises so you can do them at home.
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    Because you've heard enough about it to know that it has worked for a lot of people and you can grab a used copy for less than $8 and find out for yourself.

See now that was a commonsense oversight i failed to think of, hadn't crossed my mind for some reason to buy a used copy *doh*

Thanks!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

One never asks anyone an opinion on anything and one doesn't simply just go to Amazon or some other website to read reviews to try and decide for themselves whether or not something is for them!

FWIW: While I never actually did the 5x5 program I did download the information on it and I'm fairly certain I'd be bored to tears by the third week.:wink:

I missed that in the OP.
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    Convincing - My topic post. Doing NR was the best thing I did.. at least for me.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1073485-progress-in-a-fashion

The short version
    b23ae995-219c-44c9-80c9-244d6929e623_zpsaa49839c.jpg
    I'm heavier in the pic on the right - but thanks to New Rules...
    The book is worth every penny.

Hey great success!! that is convincing!
  • mommabenefield
    Options

I have enjoyed the workout because each level has a different combination of exercises which I found physically challenging and I found that the change was good for me both physically and mentally (to not get bored). That's my opinion.

thank you thats helpful, are the workouts for lack of a better word "easy" by that i mean are the moves basic? youre not made to do a dbl back flip squat with an OHP? type of stuff lol
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

I missed that in the OP.

From OP:
    you're probably right, had i thought using the words "convince me" would illicit this madness rather than just a list of opinions about the program/ book I might have taken the time to write that out.... but alas i trusted the adults to be mature, simple, and easy going.

I can see how that would get lost in the pages and pages of discussion
  • mommabenefield
    Options

If you need to work on form, NROLFW is not the book for you; it is sadly lacking in technique. I suggest Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe.

thank you that is helpful

While I 100% agree with Starting Strength (and think it's hands down the best beginner program on the planet)...you already tried SL which is basically the same thing in a 5x5 format and got bored. I'd suggest that you really don't have interest in lifting "heavy"...you may have some interest in resistance training and overall fitness, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't really want to lift "heavy". Heavy lifting is synonomous with big compound lifts (boring but highly effective for optimal strength and muscle gains) and repping to failure...it's not really "exciting" per sei...though I do find pulling 1.5 to 2 times my body weight dead of the floor pretty friggin' cool...

If you're serious, then read several of these books, and pick a program that works for you. Pure and simple.

If you want opinion, mine is that Starting Strength is the way to go. These basic programs don't vary that much, but Rippetoe is dead on when it comes to form and technique.

I am going to have to check SS out a little more Thanks!
  • mommabenefield
    Options

I missed that in the OP.

From OP:
    you're probably right, had i thought using the words "convince me" would illicit this madness rather than just a list of opinions about the program/ book I might have taken the time to write that out.... but alas i trusted the adults to be mature, simple, and easy going.

I can see how that would get lost in the pages and pages of discussion

:wink: :flowerforyou:
  • ShellyAnn46
    ShellyAnn46 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Do it...I am stage 1 week 15 ---I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! It alleviates the pain of thinking cardio ONLY. After years of cardio I am just plain burnt out on countless hours for small changes. I have whole heartedly started this process and am loving it. The scale really doesn't exist for me anymore - totally go by how I am feeling & how my clothes fit. Eating healthy goes with out saying. Once in a while a treat of course, but lifting heavy needs NUTRIENTS to sustain your muscles & and your body needs good nourishment. Check out the forums, TONS of information!!!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I know nothing of NROLW other than a lot of people like it and it's probably a fantastic way for women to step out of their comfort zone and start lifting more than pink DBs. BUT, when you say you got bored with SL 5x5 within a short amount of time, part of me thinks...

A) You got bored right away at the beginning because you didn't really get a chance to challenge yourself. I got my co-worker to join me with doing SL, and she wasn't into the idea of doing these big lifts, but she got hooked. She was so excited when she got to the point where she was squatting 100lbs. Then more excited when she got to put the 35s on the bar.

I was ecstatic about being able to bench press 100lbs. I felt bad *kitten*.

B) A heavy lifting program is just not your cup of tea. If you are going to get bored with doing the same movements every other workout, I don't know what to tell you.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    it's a fantastic read and will OPEN YOUR EYES to the world of heavy lifting.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I thought that some of the moves were basic, and some made me go read the book more,, and look for internet videos for them, and some I had to go ask someone because I still didn't get it :P
    But I love how varied it is, and the challenges are good.
    It's difficult and tiring and painful sometimes - but in a really good way. You do need the rest days.