North Carolina (southern food as a special challenge)

Options
When I was a child my parents moved our family from the Northeastern United States to the Southeastern United States.

At the time, I was a budding photographer and took my Kodak 110 camera with me everywhere. Knowing that we would return to the North at some point, I wanted to photograph businesses and restaurants that I had never seen before to show off to my old friends. I created an album that I still possess today filled with pictures of restaurants like: Bojangles, Hardee's, Biscuitville, Sonny's BBQ, Po Folks, Cracker Barrel, Churchs' Chicken, etc...

I LOVED Southern food and became addicted to country-fried steak, biscuits and cream gravy, Pork BBQ, fried chicken, etc..etc...etc.. Even vegetables in the South tasted better because they all swim in butter and salt.

Now, at the age of 40, I am 6'2" and weighs 270 pounds. I desperately wish to weigh around 210 pounds and have come here to accomplish that goal.

I have found that living in the South makes weight-loss an especially painful chore. Every time I take a vacation ANYWHERE else in the country, I am always astounded by the vegetarian and low-fat choices available...then...I return home and feel that much more unhealthy. It's not that there are not vegetarian and low-fat options available in the South...it's that they aren't very good. There always seems to be the token item for the "health nut" at every restaurant and it is generally tasteless and bland.

I am trying to eat at home as much as possible and have found our new Trader Joe's grocery store to be my ally. However, working in the film industry I find myself dining out quite often and always struggle with temptations.

If you live in the South and face the same challenges I do...I feel for you! Perhaps we should be friends on here...

Replies

• CoachRicardo
    Options
    Might I suggest trying out a more paleo/primal lifestyle as a possible solution for you?

Look at some of the following sites for information. This lifestyle may be what you need. There are more helpful sites than this, but it's a start:

1.) Primal Blueprint creator and formulator of the P90X supplement line Mark Sisson has a truly awesome website. His version of Paleo is a little more liberal than others. Take a look at his physique at 50+ years old and you can only conclude that either his genes are a blessing from God or this guy knows his stuff!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz2UEeJi6Nb

2.) Chris Kressner has a fantastic website on health and wellness. His articles are purely science based and he references a lot of studies in them. If you like the details of the info you are getting, Chris will give it to you. He is always reviewing medical studies to make sure he is on the leading edge of fact based nutrition science.
    http://chriskresser.com/beyondpaleo
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I find the opposite...Not sure where you are in NC. I live in Charlotte. Though in other parts of the country there are more vegetarian/vegan options/restaurants. Though Boone and Asheville are VERY veggie friendly.

Yes, the south likes to put a ton of butter in everything!

I go out and find lots of good food (mainly at Mexican restaurants though...or Italian...).

Now I'm hungry! Ha!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    *Scratches head*

Funny, I've never had a problem finding 'healthy' food in the southern states. I used to regularly visit North Carolina, vacationed in South Carolina, just got back from Kentucky and live in Texas (which isn't really Southern, but we've got all the Southern foods). I admit my choices in Kentucky were lousy, but that was because I was purposefully eating old favorites at the state fair. And finding they're not favorites any more.
  • beelikethebug1116
    Options
    I'm in North Carolina too—and I agree, the food options are AMAZING (...ly awful for you...I'm looking at you, chicken and waffles... :noway: ). And, like you, I am a transplant here (from the Midwest). I definitely agree with eating at home as much as possible—I find that if eating out is a treat, then I don't feel as bad about splurging once in a long while. (Trader Joe's does make eating at home a whole lot easier!) For other, less avoidable times, I try to keep healthy out-to-eat options in my head. I have figured out a few restaurants that are nearby that have some healthier options, so that when someone says "Where should we go?" I have a few answers ready. And most towns in the south (including yours...I'm guessing W-S?) have some options. It also helps to know what you're going to order before you walk in the door—this often prevents me from making impulsive decisions. Oh, and skip the sweet tea!! Good luck!!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I live in Charlotte, and there are plenty of options here. Are you in a more rural area of NC?
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Kentucky all of my life. I've had to learn how to eat all over again. I raise most of my own veggies so I make sure to have a lot in my diet.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I've never been a place that doesn't offer a salad, that's healthy. Most greasy spoons aren't known for health but if you asked for food to be prepped differently I'm sure they'd accommodate. If you like the food so well learn to cook it at home a healthier way. :smile:
  • comalua1
    Options
    Bumping this for the selfish goal of meeting more North Carolinians :)
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Southern girl born and raised.....

Sorry though, I live in NW Florida, close to the Alabama/Ga line. I love Southern food. When I had to live up in Maine for a few months, I had my parents ship me boxes of grits LOL. In my neck of the South, we pretty much grow everything. Our main staple during the Fall are greens: turnips, mustard, and collards. Normally they are cooked and seasoned with bacon grease, but I can eat them other ways. I find that is true of a lot of southern dishes and while they may not taste as great as their bad counterparts, they are still good.

My town has a lot of Northern transplants and they've opened a few restaurants around town trying to blend the difference in cuisine. Amusingly enough though, give or take a few years, they start serving more southern food or go out of business.

I second that low carb/paleo is easy to follow in the South. I live in redneck central and can stay stocked in venison and wild boar all year if I want LOL. (Not really a fan of gamey meat though.) And there is plenty of year round fresh produce. I also agree that most restaurants have a lighter menu. i'm not on a low carb diet currently, but have tried them in the past.

I understand what you mean though about the differences here and the rest of the country, especially out west. I spent half a year in Washington State/Oregon, and wow....... The mental difference in the way we look at food is pretty eye opening.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Living in SE NC here on the coast - I haven't had a hard time at all finding healthy options - the Farmer's market on the Weekends is always a great place to find great options for home cooking...

But like the others said, finding that healthy option on the menu is probably your best choice!
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    I am with you on this and then im not with you on it. Im from South Carolina and here around Charleston it has become the tourist destination of the world. With that said our hot food tax has risen to 11% tax. Add that to the other hand full of taxes and dinner out can quickly add up. There is literally food on every street or corner. I was just pointing it out to my husband the other day. Its a restaurant explosion around here. Southern food is Mmmm Mmmm Delicious and like you said can be horrible for you. You did really only mention the fast food joints though. Perhaps where you are that's all that's around, but here there are restaurants of all kinds. They offer foods of all kinds and tastes. Seafood is a biggie here as we are a coastal state. Perhaps eat smaller portions or ask for them to leave the butter off or out of your food. Even if it is a fast food joint of sorts. Look for baked not fried foods on the menu. A lot of places around here have added healthy menu items to the menu and they taste just fine to me. Some places if its a bbq restaurant ask them for the sauce on the side if they don't offer it in a bottle ready to use for the customers. A few places around here are like that also. Like Dukes or Bessingers BBQ buffet. They offer up the meat and the different signature sauces are in containers on the tables. You put as much or as little as you like. Like I said though I completely understand where you are coming from. I've traveled to a few other states and they don't compare to here. There may be 5 or 6 restaurants per town compared to the hundred or more per town around here. It all comes down to choosing to go there or not and choosing healthy menu option versus the not soo.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I was born and raise in Fayetteville, NC I grew up on fried chicken and fresh grown veggies from my grandparents garden... Everything was yummy.. Now I live in Texas and yes I can get good fried food here and bbq (which isn't the same as back home) but I don't go out to eat as much since I started to lose weight... I cook at home more and don't use butter as much. Don't get me wrong I so know what you mean bout the veggies tasteing differant but I either grill/bake/steam mine now with a seasioning that I like and some olive oil...
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Hi There another "Carolina Guy". Grew up thinking that all Hamburgers had cole slaw, chili, onions, and mustard on them! :drinker:

Trying to get fitter and healthier down here in the South. Trader Joe's is great and there are Panera Breads all over the place (I travel a lot)

Feel free to friend!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Are you in a more rural part of NC? I'm in the RTP/Triangle area and don't have any trouble finding vegetarian (although I never eat vegetarian), cuisine from all sorts of ethnicities, and plenty of healthy things if you know where to look and how to eat it in moderation. I've eaten bbq, fried chicken, etc. But no matter where you are, yes eating at home is healthier and tends to be less expensive.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Kentucky girl here! There is nothing as awesome as Southern food, lol. Unfortunately, that awesomeness comes with a lot of calories. Biscuits and gravy is one of my favorite foods. One way to make it a little less calorific is to use skim milk, turkey sausage, and tomato slices instead of biscuits.
  • Wegottahavethis
    Options
    :drinker: hi! Omg, years ago went to a small town in NC and everything on the menus went through breading and the fryer. I kid you not. Except for breakfast biscuits and gravy. But I guess because everyone had room to grow whatever they wanted in that wonderful soil? I learned to make biscuits and gravy, cheese grits from scratch, all the southern delicacies, and then I learned I had the food allergies.

I will definitely try me-proof sausage gravy on grilled sliced tomatoes!

Learned why sweet corn really is different grown north vs south, due to night time temperatures effect on plants dinural metabolism.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm a transplant from NY who now lives in Greensboro and have no trouble finding any type of food with a wide variety on the healthiness scale. I eat at bbq joints and get fries, hushpuppies, and chicken or hot dogs all the way once every week or two, but I always find ways to fit it into my calorie goal. Most of the restaurants here have very good options for healthy dishes, unless you're only eating at fast food joints.

But I really don't understand the issue. Back in NY we also had a ton of unhealthy food available. I was addicted to pizza and Buffalo wings, which I'd eat at least twice a week. I loved chicken tender subs and wraps swimming in ranch peppercorn dressing. And back home we even had something called a garbage plate, which is typically a plate with a base of mac salad and home fries, and topped with hot dogs and/or burgers (and sometimes chicken fingers or other creative things), with hot meat sauce spread over the whole thing.

garbage-plate.jpg

You can see why I gained weight! Unhealthy choices are available pretty much everywhere you go, not just the south. It's more about self control and planning. If you know you're going to have to eat out, look up restaurants and pick ones that have good reviews and yummy options on the menu. If you eat something unhealthy, shift some calories around so it fits within your goal. If you get it into your head that you're eating unhealthy just because you're in the south and there are unhealthy choices, then you're already defeated. It's really just an excuse.

Track your calories and fit your daily intake within your goals.
    Allow for some unhealthy meals occasionally, but in moderation (I find that only eating half and saving the other half when I eat out teaches me self-control, gives me a second meal, and allows the tastiness to last longer than scarfing it down in one sitting).
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'm about an hour East of Raleigh! You are right! Southern food is THE best!
  • akdollie
    akdollie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just moved to NC from Alaska... Gotta say I am loving the amount of actual fresh produce! By the time veggies got to the stores up there they went bad in a day or two. I just restared my logging on here but have tried to maintain my activity when I wasn't on here. I'm looking forward to being able to run, walk and jog all year round.