Slim Fast

Options
I recently jumped back in the weight loss game. To help I bought a pack of chocolate Slim Fast shakes. I had 1 for breakfast. Just curious, did these work for anyone?

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink a high protein slim fast shake for breakfast, because I'm lazy in the morning and don't usually feel like preparing food before work. However, slim fast doesn't CAUSE weight loss. The slim fast program only works because it creates a calorie deficit, and you can achieve a calorie deficit no matter what you choose to eat. :smile:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink a high protein slim fast shake for breakfast, because I'm lazy in the morning and don't usually feel like preparing food before work. However, slim fast doesn't CAUSE weight loss. The slim fast program only works because it creates a calorie deficit, and you can achieve a calorie deficit no matter what you choose to eat. :smile:

I agree with her, except I don't drink slim fast. I make my own protein shakes (protein powder, almond milk, raw cocoa, peanut butter, spinach, flax, and a banana).

The thing with Slim Fast is the first ingredient is sugar and some people think that's all they need to do, they lose the weight then go back to "normal" eating and gain it back. Whereas, if they make a lifestyle change, eat at a deficit until they lose the weight, better shot at keeping it off once they hit goal because they will have made the right changes.

I'm not saying you won't make the right changes, or that the scenario above applies to you. I'm just giving my opinion.

I eat what I want and am losing weight. It's pretty awesome.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I occasionally drink Slim Fast to get all the nutrients I need if I've had a bad nutrition week. I also drink a " For Goodness Shakes " for protein some weeks, too.

But I do NOT use it as a meal replacement. I done the genuine Slimfast thing 2 years ago and I was constantly hungry, tired, fed up and had mood swings.

I'd rather eat a roll and sausage than have a slimfast. The calories are near enough the same!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Do you plan on drinking slim fast forever?
  • applepie161987
    Options
    I bought a case of 6, thought I would try it for that long. I love my eggs in the morning, so we'll see. Making my own shakes takes too much time,, I like just grabbing the shake out of the fridge. I already made the life style change. My breakfast before was a light english muffin with egg beaters (yum!) I just wanted to try something different. :)
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I've used it as a protein shake after lifting in the past, but I am always hungry almost an hour later. So not worth in my opinion. I have a pack sitting next to the fridge that are about 6 months old.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I tried the High Protein version when I first started here because I knew I wasn't getting enough protein but they zapped my energy...just felt wiped out after drinking them. I'm guessing I have a sensitivity to one of the ingredients, which I didn't bother to read until after I bought the stuff. Live and learn!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I use them when I don't have access to food options....
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I used them for about two weeks when I started, but the idea of tx meals a day being a crappy shake was getting old rather quickly.

Now I always keep some on hand in case I got called in to work an odd shift I can throw one or two in my backpack.. I don't always have ANY time to pack a lunch/dinner , and I don't even know if I'll have access to food until I get to the shop and see my assignment for that day. It's nice to know I have a filling "meal" available, especially when there is not only a place or means to get food, but there also might not be time to eat "real" food.

and man... the Cappuccino ones are pretty damn tasty.
  • angelac1296
    angelac1296 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use them when I don't have access to food options.

Me too. They're great in a hurry, but it's not real food. I never have my hunger satisfied by them. They aren't any more filling than that many ounces of water are. But it's much better for you than whatever you could grab at the drive through!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of them -- they didn't fill me up for long, gave me cravings, and just overall weren't what worked. If it's an occasional thing for and it works for your life, go for it. But I wouldn't depend on it as a meal replacement -- maybe snack. And making your own smoothie doesn't take any longer than cooking an egg and slicing and toasting an English muffin. :) Especially after you have done it a couple of times and figure out what you like. I make one with Greek yogurt, blueberries, spinach, and almond milk. I even add 100% whey protein isolate powder at times. :)
  • Carnivore62
    Options
    Never had too much use for slimfast. Too much sugar for me.
  • calmlywilde
    calmlywilde Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm a chronic under-eater (and a big lesson as to why starving yourself won't make you loose weight!) and I use sugar-free protein shakes when I don't have time for a "real" meal.

Like PPs said, it doesn't fill you up, but for me, I'm not hungry, just need to hit my macros and have a consistent calorie intake across the day.

Fat(er) me was happy with one (big) meal a day, but I found it wasn't really conducive to weight loss - dagnabit!
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I haven't had them for a long time, but I used to have one before I went to work in the morning so I could make it to my break so my blood sugar wouldn't drop. Now I just eat a regular breakfast. Right now I usually eat a light english muffin with whipped peanut butter and cinnamon honey and drink a glass of 1% milk. They're not bad if you don't have time for breakfast.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Making my own shakes takes too much time

Not sure what ones you are making, mine takes about 5 minutes at most, Cleaning the blender is super easy with just a little soap water put it back on and turn it on.
  • Jasminna
    Jasminna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow
    I'm kinda surprised people still drink slim quick!
    I get most my nutrients from protein and fruit and vegetables
    And the best meal replacement shake I've found is shakeology
    It's a condensed shake of over 70 super food ingredients
    It was work for me to make shakes but now that I have a shake that is so important to consume
    I look forward to my shake everyday
    I have tropical strawberry and I'm stoaked on getting vanilla next month

If you wanna check it out
    Add or message me on Facebook
    Facebook.com/revupurlife
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ... shakeology...

I haven't tried the vanilla, but the other flavors made me gag. Nasty tastin' stuff IMO.
  • angiemotto
    angiemotto Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey! Just wanted to give my opinion. Slim fast has been great for me! I have lost 41 pounds so far since April. I think the key to using Slim Fast is drinking a lot of water, eating fresh fruits and veggies, and exercising. I don't agree with the 1 2 3 plan on their website because the calories are so low. But I usually drink one for breakfast, 2 hours later eat a snack, 2 hours later have another shake, 2 hours later eat another snack, then have a regular dinner and a dessert after. So I'm eating all the time and don't get hungry.

Alot of people claim you will have to drink it forever or gain your weight back. And I have to disagree. After I lost my first 25 or 30 pounds, I had to take a break due to family emergency from the slim fast and exercising. I replaced it with the same calories but regular food and I didn't gain any weight back. I didn't lose due to not exercising.

As long as you stay healthy, slim fast is a great option. It helps me take the guesswork out of planning my foods every week. Good luck!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Not a fan. All these liquid concoctions are what they feed you with a tube that goes directly into your stomach from the outside while you endure your coma. God gave you teeth to chew. Your brain needs you to chew (and enjoy) to feel fed. If you have trouble budgeting your time (a separate issue) for breakfast, buy apples and grab a couple on your way out the door. Even better, up your exercise so you have extra calories available for the breakfast you really want.
  • mgeralt
    mgeralt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I bought a case of 6, thought I would try it for that long. I love my eggs in the morning, so we'll see. Making my own shakes takes too much time,, I like just grabbing the shake out of the fridge. I already made the life style change. My breakfast before was a light english muffin with egg beaters (yum!) I just wanted to try something different. :)

I do Slimfast.. I have had great success with it.. I think any lower calorie plan will work fine though. You just need to do what is right for you. Not everyone loses weight the same. Not every "diet" works the same for everyone. Good luck with you weight loss!