Smoking and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• thackett67
    thackett67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi I stopped smoking cold turkey for a month before I started my weight loss. I have lost 6 pounds in less then a month. I feel so much better. It all depends on how bad you want it, that's how I seen.:wink:
  • pinkncrazee
    pinkncrazee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I AM in the same position. I changed my cigarettes about 3 weeks ago, and there has been an astonishing improvement. I've smoked Newports forever, and felt like a slave. I changed to American Spirit and I smoke less, cough less, have more energy, and they are comparable to taste. Every other time I've tried to change to something else, I got sore throats, worse coughs, and head aches. So, I'm not sure if this is helpful, but wanted to put it out there for you. A natural cigarette has changed my life!
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Try going to electronic cigs first... still bad for you but "probably" not as bad. I say probably b/c the science hasn't caught up with the technology. That way, you're still getting the nicotine and the hand to mouth habit, but without the tar, smoke, etc... I still haven't completely quit with regular cigs, but I do often use my ecig instead. I did quit once with Chantix, but rationalized my way back into smoking "just socially" and it snowballed from there... *sigh* It's definitely harder to quit smoking than it is to lose weight!

I have an e-cig and I have read some preliminary studies suggesting that using it can cause immediate inflammation of the bronchial tubes. Only when I'm very sick or running do I ever experience difficulty breathing, that was until I smoked my e-cig over several days. I'm nearly a pack a day smoker. I found it was easier to breathe after smoking my cigs than the e-cig.

The effect doesn't seem to be permanent. I would suggest if you are going to use an e-cig to decrease your nicotine dependency, that you do it when you aren't exercising a lot and are focusing more on diet. I thought the e-cig was a great idea, but it hasn't really helped that much. Mostly it helped me cut back to around half a pack a day. I use it pretty occasionally at this point.
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've smoked American Spirits before and just couldn't really get into them. But then I know very little about the different varieties. Hard to try them all and see what I actually might like when they cost 6 bucks a pack or more where I live. I should just quit though.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 30 years, and always struggled with my weight. NO MATTER WHAT you WILL gain weight. Your body is being poisoned, and it is messing with your metabolism.
    I quit several times, and FREAKED out about gaining the weight, and started smoking again. If you just eat healthy & exercise A LOT! you will get over the hump.
    I didn't listen to my own advice & gained 30 lbs. YIKES. But, the good news is......it's almost gone I have 12 lbs. left to lose, I'm almost 50 years old and I am stronger and healthier than I ever have been in my entire life.

Quitting smoking is hard, Trade that bad addiction for a healthy addiction. Everyone has their own nitch & ah ha moment. Mine was hiking / backpacking I challenge myself everyday over it.

Good luck, quitting will be the best decision ever.
  • brittany2188
    Options
    I quit smoking before I started trying to lose. I knew that I was going to gain weight if I quit. I went to the doctor, got on anti-anxiety medication- that helps with quitting (for me, anyway). I gave myself about 4 weeks without a smoke before I started eating better. So far, so good. Today is 6 weeks for me :)
  • ICallBS
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs still had plenty to lose and I quit 4/1 of this year. I didn't read all the responses but may I suggest Allen Carr's Easy way to quit smoking. http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easyway-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155

I did gain some weight back, kept up on exercise & walking just let my eating slack. I did my first ever 5k which was a zombie mud run in August. I will be honest my lungs were burning when I was done but I think it would have been much much worse if I was still smoking.

A bit of background started smoking when I was 12ish at 16 I was a full blown pack a day smoker. I did quit with my pregnancies but started back up afterwards. I am now 36 and not smoking and it was the first time I quit without being pregnant and the husband still smokes:grumble: out of the house though and not around me.
  • prmaan
    prmaan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the book suggestion, I'll definitely look into that...that's at least one thing I haven't tried. My smoking background is very similar. I grew up with a smoker in the home and started early but not full blown until 17-18 and have since been about a pack a day smoker. I don't have kids so I never had a reason to stop, even for a while, and now I'm 35 so this is an almost 20 year habit.
    I'm just glad to hear about people doing active things and not dying in the process either while smoking or after quitting because it definitely feels that way.

I would so like to say a few years from now I'd done a zombie mud run...they look so fun.
  • I only joined today and read your message. I sympathise wholeheartedly with you and totally understand the situation you are in. Last year I tried to diet and give up smoking at the same time and it just does not work. It is impossible to do both together and is asking far too much of ourselves. I feel so down about my weight but I thought the most important thing was to give up smoking first, as naturally I would gain even more weight by giving up and then deal with my weight problem afterwards. I have tried 3 times in five years to give up smoking but always found a reason to go back again, as I couldn't cope without them. I was at a restaurant with my two sisters and it was so hot that we sat outside to eat. I sat on a separate table so I could smoke when I wanted to. The waiter came out and said 'Oh, they have thrown you on a separate table have they?' to which I agreed. He said he had given up smoking for 2 years and now he does 'Vaping' instead. 'What on earth is that I asked? He explained that it is smoking different flavours with an electric cigarette, otherwise known as the e-cig. This means you can still smoke but without the horrible smell and all the nasty and harmful things that comes along with smoking. They come in tobacco and menthol flavours as well as loads of weird and wonderful other flavours and have different strengths of nicotine in them, as well as zero nicotine. The battery when fixed to the cartridge looks like a real cigarette and lights up at the end when you take a puff. Nothing has ever worked before but these did, and I am sure they worked on me because I am still holding a cigarette in my hand and still going through the motions of smoking without getting breathless. I did not like the taste of the tobacco ones so I have the menthol ones and I celebrated on 30th August a whole year without smoking, which is an all time records for me. No patches, gums, or any other non-smoking aid has ever worked before. I feel so much better for it and have saved a lot of money and will save a lot more when I can give up 'vaping' as well.

I have joined here now to lose the weight I so desperately want to get rid of and hopefully I will be able to exercise without needing an oxygen mask at the end, once I have done that, my next aim will be to give up the electric cigarette.

Forgot to mention that I only gained a few pounds after giving up smoking and that I had been smoking for over 30 years.
  • ICallBS
    Options
    Thanks for the book suggestion, I'll definitely look into that...that's at least one thing I haven't tried. My smoking background is very similar. I grew up with a smoker in the home and started early but not full blown until 17-18 and have since been about a pack a day smoker. I don't have kids so I never had a reason to stop, even for a while, and now I'm 35 so this is an almost 20 year habit.
    I'm just glad to hear about people doing active things and not dying in the process either while smoking or after quitting because it definitely feels that way.

I would so like to say a few years from now I'd done a zombie mud run...they look so fun.

You can do it! A few years on the zombie mud run!?! Put that goal for next year! My ticker is just set until I am "overweight" rather then obese so I wogged at 200lbs. They are very fun! My goal is to run the whole thing for the next one!

I know when I quit when I would have those little cravings I would go for a walk, since I never smoked on my walks it help pushed the thought out of my mind so it helped for me to get in the habit of walking and not smoking first in that way.

Regardless of what you decide you will be getting healthier! Good luck!
  • 123im4u2c
    Options
    Hi premaan, I hope I got that right! LOL!
    First my name is Lynda, Pleased to meet you! I just read your topic, and I was a bit concerned
    that you literally ripped yourself apart ( you are not horrible You have just been living a life style that's
    not conducive to who you want to be, and where you want to go! You have the right idea about trying to reach out for a healthy lifestyle, and you can do it!

I recently quit smoking, almost 9 months ago and gained 10 lbs I came on here to lose 10lbs, if I lose more
    great, and If I don't no big deal! I saw my Dr. today 10lbs was exactly right. He said that's really not a lot as some people gain much more than what I have! It may not seem like much to him, but it's horrifying to me! I have Body image disorder, and out side of being pregnant, I have never weighed more than 115 in my adult life! So you see what I'm trying to say to you is everyone has their struggles with one thing or another! I have a little granddaughter who just turned one, and I will never call her princess or talk about sizes with her! In this world today it's just too much pressure. My Dr. told me today I look terrific compared to what he saw the 1st time he met me! He said I was scrawny, and emaciated. Nice huh? I weighed 103lb when I got sick with thyroid disease.
    Maybe we're just critical of ourselves, I know I am and I'm trying to loosen up! I'm 60 years old for God's sake, so why should I be such a perfectionist? There was a couple of good thing like he said , I lowered my risk of Emphysema, my lungs sound great, My heart is strong Bp 120/80 another good thing! He said to just keep doing what I am, and that he would not change a thing! That was so sweet of him, and it's great to have support, and someone to keep me in check! So I'm just going to pass that on to you! I know you'll do fine, and everyone here is happy for everyone else when the y reach a goal whether it's a small one or a big one, because everything counts! Hope to talk to you again soon! ♥
    Lyn
  • fattymcfatterson7
    Options
    I was also a smoker & overwieght- I'm 6'1" and was up to about 250- smoking a pack a day. I lost a good bit of the weight, but gained about half of it back. Then when I turned 30, I decided to get serious. I lost what I gained back, plus some- and quit smoking cold turkey but that was only 17 days ago. I still would like to lose another 10-20 pounds but am focusing on staying active and smoke free right now- I'll get back to the wieght loss in about a month or so
  • angelac1296
    angelac1296 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I smoked for about 16 years, and have about 60 lbs to lose. I quit smoking in April, in fact, today makes 5 months! I used the patch. It bothered my skin so I put it in a different spot every day. And took it off at bedtime so I didn't have wacko dreams.

Once I was good and quit I got really serious about the weight loss! I've been exercising about 5 days a week for a couple months, and I feel like a whole new person!

I'm glad I picked one, I couldn't have done both at the same time, they are hard! Good luck!!
  • 123im4u2c
    Options
    Whoo Hoo, Keep up the good work, once you get past the things that you did as habit, you'll see a difference!
    I don't preach because Like AA it's an ongoing process. I don't even consider myself a non smoker, I almost went back
    when I saw the weight gain too, but I thought of how far I have come and with a thyroid problem at that! I'm pretty damn selfish,
    so I won't allow myself to go back! I won't say I don't want one, of course I do after 40 yrs of them! But I just got my checkup today
    and was told everything is great, no sign of a future Lung or heart problem! I just keep telling myself in my moments of weakness
    that I want to see my 1, and 3 year old grandchildren grow up, and of course I'll do everything I can to make that happen. It's just too
    bad I couldn't have done it sooner! But as they say better late than never. It took my boyfriend having a stroke last thanksgiving for me to quit Cold Turkey, no pun intended! I changed my whole routine the day it happened or he would never have survived so I've been told. I recognized the signs and got him to the hospital. We had a 3 hour window. It turned out he had 10 blood clots in the middle of his brain. They said I saved his life because I did everything right! Bob use to complain about me always researching on my Lap top, saying I was wasting my time! Now he says nothing and was very proud when the Dr and Nurses asked him what field of medicine I was in! I run 3 cancer groups on facebook so I'm always researching! I Thank God everyday for guiding me!
  • Fibbian
    Options
    I'm sure too that kicking one bad habit completely will give you the confidence to kick the other one, whichever you choose to do first. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think if you are going to pick one to do first, smoking would be the better choice.

That would be my choice too. I smoked a pack a day for years (started smoking when I was about 13 y.o.) and quit cold turkey a little over 20 years ago.

In terms of health risk smoking is worse than being overweight (unless you're morbidly obese).

The one downside t quitting smoking is that you re-discover how good food tastes (amazing what happens when your mouth doesn't taste like an ashtray) and it's easy to pack on a few more pounds.

The good news is that many of the risk factors associated with being overweight may be mitigated through regular exercise whereas the damage caused by smoking can only be addresses through smoking cessation. (and think of the money you'll save!!!!! )
  • sandytoshiko
    sandytoshiko Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I started the same way, but nothing is a better smoking suppressant than working out! No one wants a smokey treat after a 3 mile run! I found myself and ex-smoker without realizing I was quitting! You can do this!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke years ago and at that time I was trying to lose weight and I was exercising (although not as intensely as now).

You can and will quit smoking but just cut yourself some slack with it. It took me many tries to quit and I even took it back up after years of not smoking in 2008. I think I'm done with it now.

To my surprise I yearn for it less and less as time goes on. There are times when I think that a cigarette while in the hammock would be heaven but when I think about going to the shops to buy them and then opening the pack and lighting it I get put off by the 'buy in' that I'd have to go through just to have that 4 minute fantasy.

With losing weight, treat it as a separate issue. I believe a quitter will gain weight only if they let food be the replacement vice.

Also, please get a check up or a fitness test now so you can be sure that you'll be ok for the exercise you choose to do. Start slow and build up more intensity over the months. It'll help with sticking with it as well as making sure that your heart will handle it.
  • 123im4u2c
    Options
    Awesome Angela, It does make a huge difference, and in many ways I sometimes look at the weight gain
    as my badge of courage!! LOL That is until I find something in the closet that I want to wear and it doesn't fit
    the way I expected it to! That part is depressing, but then I'll put something else on, it looks good, and I'm ok!
    We just need to keep our eyes on the prize! We'll be undoing damage and getting healthier! Just stay with it!
    I didn't take anything, because I know people who have and they had a lot of problems. Not only that. I have a lot
    of medication that I have to take for my thyroid! So you and I are in the same boat!!! LMAO! We can, and will do this! ♥
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I gave up in December- I'm 5"5' and I was 183 pounds + I didn't want any more.

It was my second attempt (first one I stopped smoking for 5 years) so I knew for me, it's better to go cold turkey quickly.

I found it hard as I needed to address why I smoked and why I ate- emotional triggers, boredom etc, so I think your idea to tackle it bit by bit is great.
This discussion has been closed.