How much fiber?

Options
I want to start tracking fiber, but I don't know what a healthy goal should be. Is there a "rule of thumb?"

Replies

• HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Ive read 25g should be a daily goal.
  • NebrGuy1969
    NebrGuy1969 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My trainer says you'll know it when you hit your limit. :) I'm usually in the 45 to 50 range with no unwanted effects.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    25g is a good general recommendation for an adult woman.

All individuals vary so you will need to see what works for you but this is a solid general target and +/-5g of this should be fine.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I track mine, and I try to get at least 25g a day, but in the 30s when I can. I do not use fiber powders or pills, but I do choose high fiber food products for the day to day stuff you're going to cook with or eat anyway.

If you are new to fiber intake at the generally recommended level of 25g, just be ready for some possible digestive protest when it begins. If you do not drink enough water (and your body is used to getting its water from your food choices), increased fiber can also cause constipation. So, make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

(Edited for source info: How much fiber do you need? Women need 25 grams per day and men should get 38 grams per day, according to an Institute of Medicine formula based on getting 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories. - http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/fiber-how-much-do-you-need)
  • kawasakininja13
    kawasakininja13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 40/40/20 split on a 2350 cal daily diet so I limit myself to 40 grams of fiber and 50 grams of sugar.
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I want to start tracking fiber, but I don't know what a healthy goal should be. Is there a "rule of thumb?"

It's could be any where between 25 to 40, depend on quite a few things i.e. your set goal of calories, activities/workout etc.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30g daily.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I think Lyle Mcdonald mentioned on his forum that one should aim for 10+g / meal.
  • Suleya
    Options
    Oh I thought you should have more than around 30g. I am a vegan and with 1700cal, i usually have between 55 and 65g, is that too much? (btw. I am very happy with my digestion, so I dont think there are any bad side effects)
  • neonni
    Options
    Over 25grams I'd say. I have to get a lot of fibre in each day, the best way to up it is with All Bran, the sticks, not the flakes. There's a lot of fibre in there, before I discovered that I was getting seriously bloated from relying on tins of beans, brown bread etc. All bran and of course, fruit.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oh I thought you should have more than around 30g. I am a vegan and with 1700cal, i usually have between 55 and 65g, is that too much? (btw. I am very happy with my digestion, so I dont think there are any bad side effects)

I'm vegetarian also tend to get over 50. It's not a bad thing, especially coming from fruit and veggies. My doc says it's healthy to get a high amount as long as you aren't getting constipated. Many cultures that rely on plant foods have high fiber intakes. :bigsmile:

I think the main thing is not to get too little.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Fiber per my Gastroenterologist should be 25-35 calories a day.