runtastic, how accurate?

Options
I am a 22yr old female 5ft 4 and 142lb.
Ive been running/jogging 2 miles a day and using runtastic to measure my calories burnt.
I didnt question the numbers it was giving me (between 80-90 calories for 10 minute mile for 2 miles) until a friend told me I was greatly underestimating. I asked google and a lot of people said generally you burn 100 per mile. Can anyone clear this up?

Oh and I am planning on getting a hrm with chest strap when I can afford it :)
If anyone could tell me if these numbers are probably correct or not that would be awesome :) dont want to net too low!

Edited to add, I use runtastic pro

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Running apps generally use GPS to calculate not only the distance you ran, but the pace. I find my running app sits happily between my HRM (which reads slightly above) and my fitbit (which reads slightly below). It comes out about the same as MFP's calculations. If I had to estimate I'd use the time I worked out for, not the distance I ran.

Most people will says it's better to underestimate your calories burned than over, because that way there's no risk of over eating and slowing down your weight loss. That being said, I would think if you're running at 10min/mile for 2 miles (20 minutes total), you'd be closer to 200cals burned.
  • ToniW22
    ToniW22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah id definitely rather under estimate than over. Thank you so much :)