Bit miffed really

Options
Week two and I have sts and now this week I have put on one pound!! I'm not giving up but I'm gutted tbh.

I have increased my exercise considerably and generally feel much better than before so why is my weight not coming off. O'm not asking for huge amounts each week but a couple of pounds would be nice.

Like I have said I'm not giving up.

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If you've increased your exercise considerably, it could be water weight and inflammation.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Keep going! It often takes a month or so for the weight to actually start dropping. I know there are people (I'm one of them) who actually gain a bit of weight when starting a heavy exercise routine, but drop in inches regardless. Don't be disheartened.
  • MissKPx
    Options
    Like the others say... keep going. I lost 7lbs, was keeping to my calories and exercising and I put 3lbs back on, which was really disappointing and really made me want to quit. But I haven't... had a day where I went a little over and then got straight back on it. I'm a daily weigher which isn't good, so this week my boyfriend has hid the scales and I'm hoping to have lost half of what I put back on...

What kind of exercise are you doing? Are you drinking lots of water?

Well done on not giving up... KP
  • SpookyElectric
    SpookyElectric Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I've not long started either and I had no movement in my first three weeks despite considerable changes to my lifestyle. However, now in week 4, I can see and feel a small change, despite the scales not showing much difference.

Make sure you take body measurements so you can measure progress that way and DO take a photo of youself wearing as little as possible as this is a great comparison and gives great motivation!

Stick in there, kiddo!
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I dont know the answer, but dont be too hard on yourself. don't give up. just work harder and drink more water.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    While I do understand how you feel, I also know you need to give it more time! It's not always a constant loss. How often are you weighing in? Do you weigh in at the same time of day? Could just be a fluctuation and you'll be down two pounds tomorrow. Weigh in once a week.
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

Tips:
    - Be careful to weigh your food (over-estimating portions is so easy)
    - Be weary of calories that MFP allots to your exercise (they always seem to be so high)
    - Keep a balance between food intake and exercise (Net cals)
  • MissKPx
    Options
    Can I just ask... When you say "Keep a balance between food intake and exercise (Net cals)" What do you mean by that?
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Ok here's where I am.

Steady weight loss for a month - 7lbs, very happy.

Started weight lifiting again this week, have done 2 sessions and my weight has 'gone up' - 2.6lbs. Now I know my calorie consumption is on the money and logically there is no way I have consumed 10,000 calories to 'put on' that weight. So that means my body is holding some water or summink (got my swole on!) and that if I stick with it my body will regulate itself.

Get your head around the maths/logic of it all and that helps you not freak out when the scales don't move.
    Measure yourself once a month
    Settle down for the long haul

And you'll get there evenutally

Good luck :smile:
  • telepathe
    Options
    I feel you, I didn't lose anything in the first two weeks after I started exercising my butt off and tracking calories (but I did lose a couple of inches here and there). It was disheartening to say the least since I've never had too much trouble losing weight if I ate 1200 cals and sat on my *kitten* all day. Now the pounds seem to be shifting too, I'm 4 pounds down almost three weeks in my new routine. So my advice would be to wait at least two weeks before changing your new routine and also keep track of the inches. The scale can be a liar :smile:
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Completely understand how you feel. I just started about a month ago - when I started calorie restriction and exercise I lost 1lb in 2 weeks. I really thought I would see some water weight loss, but no. Now that the month is up I am down 7lbs. Woo hoo!!! Just keep going you will start seeing results soon!!!
  • divinenanny
    Options
    Can I just ask... When you say "Keep a balance between food intake and exercise (Net cals)" What do you mean by that?

Well, forget about the starvation/1200 cals you see thrown around on the forums here. I'm not saying those people don't have a point, and I don't want this to turn into a discussion about that.

All I mean is if you eat 1300 cals, and burn 600 through exercise (legitimately, so tracked through a HRM and not MFP*) that leaves you with 700 cals for your normal bodily functions. If you look up your BMR (See Apps - BMR) that is what you need if your body is in a coma (so for blood circulation, breathing etc). You don't really want to be under that by too much because you need to breathe ;). So, if you see that your Net cals (Calories consumed - calories burned) is lower than your BMR, you might think about eating more, or exercising less. That is just a tip that keeps me happy (and not hungry, nor fainting from exercise).

* I say this because a HRM has a much smaller margin of error than MFP, because MFP overestimates for most people.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Take measurements too. The scale lies.

^^This is the best advice.

The tape measure is the best for measuring progress.
  • Looking2blittler
    Looking2blittler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree with this advice. First of all - think of how much space one pound of fat is, and compare that to one pound of lean muscle. Depending on the type of exercise that you are doing, you could be transforming your body into more dense muscle mass and it could be a little while before you see a decrease in numbers, yet you may notice a decrease in size. I read one of the best blogs on MFP yesterday by "fivethreeone" and you can see how her body transformed through weightlifting. The most important thing is that you NOT give up and possibly try new things. RGv2 spoke wisely in saying the scale lies, so pay closer attention to your measurements, the way your clothes fit, the way you FEEL!!!!!!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Women's weight fluctuates greatly. Try not to worry too much. If you are feeling better you are doing something right. Be honest with your logging and portion sizes. Drink a lot of water. Beware of hidden fats and sugars. When entering new foods, always check the info, I have seen some really bad entries on mfp. Never go too low in calories, if you do that for faster results your body goes into starve mode. What exercise are you doing, the trend these days is to build a little muscle to burn more fat. I have only lost 2 kilos in 3 months since I joined the gym, but I see and feel a difference. I have dropped cm's all over and dropped a dress size. Try not to be impatient. Slow and steady wins the race. :-)
  • MissKPx
    Options

Well, forget about the starvation/1200 cals you see thrown around on the forums here. I'm not saying those people don't have a point, and I don't want this to turn into a discussion about that.

All I mean is if you eat 1300 cals, and burn 600 through exercise (legitimately, so tracked through a HRM and not MFP*) that leaves you with 700 cals for your normal bodily functions. If you look up your BMR (See Apps - BMR) that is what you need if your body is in a coma (so for blood circulation, breathing etc). You don't really want to be under that by too much because you need to breathe ;). So, if you see that your Net cals (Calories consumed - calories burned) is lower than your BMR, you might think about eating more, or exercising less. That is just a tip that keeps me happy (and not hungry, nor fainting from exercise).

* I say this because a HRM has a much smaller margin of error than MFP, because MFP overestimates for most people.

Oh this is great... So for example I am predicted to Net tonight with 935... but my BMR should be 1,536... so I should eat more? I don't really feel hungry or faint, but this is a good thing to remember. Thanks loads... I also need to make sure what I'm entering for both food and exercise is right.

Juliec66 does this help you too?
  • ames8311
    Options
    I only started to notice any weightloss after week 4, maybe try measuring instead :) Keep with it
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Whoever said it was from the exercise has it right! When you start a new exercise program or increase the intensity of your current routine, you will gain water weight. The muscle tissues suffer microtears from increased activity (which is why most of us feel sore) and as a result, those tissues retain water and glycogen to aid in the healing process. Once your new routine becomes more, well routine, your body will adjust and release the excess. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water as that will also help.

Example: I did a very intense workout yesterday (and have the sore muscles to prove it) and I was up about a pound this morning.

Can't see your diary so here's some additional generic device:

Are you eating back your calories? If so, good, but know that many of MFP exercise burn estimates are high so if you're eating them all back, you may be slightly overeating.

Are you weighing and measuring your food? If not, you're guesstimating for logging and that's not going to help you in the end.

Are you hitting your calorie goal every day or going under or over a lot? Going over or under your goal frequently can hamper your weight loss attempts. The goal is just that, a goal, and something meant to be met as closely as possible on a regular basis.

How's your sodium intake? High sodium can lead to water weight, especially if you're not drinking enough water to compensate.
  • divinenanny
    Options

Oh this is great... So for example I am predicted to Net tonight with 935... but my BMR should be 1,536... so I should eat more? I don't really feel hungry or faint, but this is a good thing to remember. Thanks loads... I also need to make sure what I'm entering for both food and exercise is right.

Juliec66 does this help you too?

I'd eat more, because even if you aren't hungry right now, you'll feel the effects of many days like these in a row. And for me, the less I eat, the more my stomach shrinks (that is how I think of it), so the less hungry you are. If you eat a bit closer to Net everyday, it gets easier. You need fuel too ;)