What finally did it for you?

Options
I noticed a lot of us have stated one place or another that we've tried several times to lose weight, before we came here. So what was that thing(s) that finally pushed you into serious mode. What made all the difference?

Replies

• Doordie
    Options
    I think it is something that has been pushing at me for 10 years as I tried and failed and tried and failed and failed and failed over and over again,

What really disturbed me into try harder and into focusing harder on longevity without ceasing---is a picture I saw of myself at the beach this summer. For the first time in my life I actually looked at myself and said "that's disgusting".

And it hurt. And I know I can't indulge in self pity any longer. I have to seek real solutions this time. That's what did it for me.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    when my doctor told me i was 220 pounds. i didnt even realize i had crossed over into the 200s. i felt disappointed and disgusted with myself for getting this way. but then i just started to get serious a few weeks ago because i knew i had lost alot before, and i was getting to the point where it wasnt going to be as easy anymore.

its hard work, but so worth it. :]
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    What finally did it for me was that I was 250 lbs, pregnant and I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Shortly after my father was diagnosed with diabetes and it was so bad they had to remove his leg. At that point I said, 'screw this, I will NOT get diabetes' and I started kicking butt. I went from a 92% chance of getting diabetes to a 11% chance. I'm not all the way where I want to be but that's a pretty good freakin start.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The company I work for started a program to encourage its employees to change to a healthier lifestyle. For each activity you complete you earn points which you can trade in for prizes. One of the prizes is $400 cash! I wanted to participate but I've always hated keeping a food journal, which is one of the big point earners. I was looking for a recipe one afternoon and stumbled onto this site. Now keeping a food journal is easy and fun!
    I started this program in August and according to my calculations I should have 600 points by the middle of November--just in time for Christmas.
    Although I've known for a long, long time I needed to lose weight I suppose finding MFP was what really finally did it for me! :)
  • vauleese
    Options
    Pictures from a vacation finally did it for me. When my middle daughter told me that Pooh Bear and I could share clothes that was my drawing line right there. With my DH deploying again though it's also more incentive to drop these unwanted lbs before he comes home in a year. I figure that wanting to ditch 35lbs in 12 months is a reasonable time frame. Now that I have MFP it's a little easier to do.
  • Fuhgeddaboudit
    Options
    my friend's a live in nurse for an english professor dying of ALS... made me want to use what I have.... youre nothing without your health
  • shortwasp
    shortwasp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 years ago, but I never took it seriously until a few days ago. I've been having trouble getting the blood sugar numbers down and saw an ad for Lantus insulin. I found myself thinking about how I might be on insulin in a couple months. That thought hit me like a brick between the eyes. All I have to do is lose 40-60 lbs to get my diabetes into complete remission, and here I am playing with the thought of taking insulin. "What a lazy bum I am", is what I thought. Suddenly I knew I had to eat less, a lot less, and really curb the carbs to get my blood sugar under control, so that I wouldn't be dependent on medication so early in the game. It's difficult if not impossible to reverse diabetic damage, and I was on my way to permanently ruining my body all for the sake of my taste buds.

So here I go, eating half what I used to eat and eating right to keep the calories around 1000 (I'm less than 5 ft. tall and 51 y.o.) I don't look for food that tastes great but will harm me; I look for food that I like that is also healthy, and then I eat 1 serving of it. No seconds, no desserts, no fried food, no "just one bite won't hurt" bite of anything. It's all measured and enjoyed, and then I walk away with no regrets. My doc once said that if I had already tasted it all, then why bother with tasting it again, and that's true. I know what everything tastes like, so there is no need to taste it again. Eat the healthy, and look at the rest as unedible.

I also used to use food for comfort as well, and I've binged and starved with the best of them. My internist today asked if I had the bingeing under control. I could answer yes with full conviction. I finally got it into my head that if hungry isn't the problem, then food isn't the answer.

It's just simply time to do what's best for me.

Sherri
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I was miserable in my skin. I found MFP and I thought, well...lets give it a try. The first day was okay and I thought, well I think I can do this. Then I hit the button and I saw "If every day were like today, in 5 weeks, you'll weigh..." and it was TEN pounds less. I thought (I'll be honest) Yeah Right! And so I set about proving that was not going to be true. By the end of the 5 weeks, I was hooked, and I had lost even more than predicted.

Yay MFP!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nlibera
    Options
    Stepping on the scale! Once I heard my dad (who had been overweight most my life) was losing weight and lost 15lbs, I decided to bite the bullet and get on the scale after not knowing my weight for probably a couple of years. It was 218lbs, didn't even expect it to be much over 200 if even that. That's when I realized I had been putting it off for too long.

Especially with the way I had been going last year: still sticking to my job's schedule (6:30am-3pm), no breakfast, fast food for lunch, a long nap after work and eating late in the evening. That coupled with going out several times a week to shows with friends and drinking was 100% not good for my body and likely how I put on the pounds even faster.

Discovering MyFitnessPal and clicking "Complete This Entry" for my first day of watching calorie intake and seeing how much less I'd be in 5 weeks was so compelling, the community here just keeps me going, too! I can't wait to step on the scale first thing in the morning everyday now! :)
  • Katiekat1182
    Katiekat1182 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I started thinking I should loose the weight when I noticed that in pictures, I started to look like a fat person!! I finally got the motivation when I tried to put on my winter jeans this year and couldn't get them up. It was sealed for me when I stepped on the scale and saw 170 lbs!! Thank goodness for MFP!
  • TonyaJ83
    Options
    My age! I'm turning 27 and have been a size 11/13 (I'm only 5') since I got married at 18 years old. I've spend most my 20's chubby. I'm going to finally get my body back. Was a size 3 in high school. I want to get down to at least 120 (156 now). I want to enjoy these last couple years feeling "young". I hear it's harder to lose weight after 30. I want to live longer, feel better, be confident, swim in public, have more energy, wear cuter clothes, etc. I'm sick of being jealous of other people's nice figures without cottage cheese and lumps. I want to be happy when I look in the mirror!
  • GlamourBean
    GlamourBean Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A biker. I drove past him because he was hogging the road, and he caught up with me at a stop light. He pulled right up to me, gestured for me to roll down the window, and said, "It is the law to share the road, fatty." Wow! I was mortified, humilated, and hurt but I couldn't get angry with him. His cruelty made me face what other people see when they look at me. I've been pretty thin until that last five years but I thought to myself that I wasn't a fat person. Wrong!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I had a miscarriage when I was 15 weeks pregnant. One of the nurses at my OB's office told me that fat girls have a higher chance of miscarriage. I don't like feeling responsible for what happened, so I am determined to lose all of this extra weight before we start trying again.
  • CeciHarper
    Options
    Wow... some of these stories are heartbreaking... Good for all of you! We can do it!!!!!

What did it for me? My stomach itching because I was developing stretch marks from getting fat... & I WASENT pregnant. So, that did it for me. I eventually want to get off of metformin... I hate taking medicine everyday =(
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I noticed a lot of us have stated one place or another that we've tried several times to lose weight, before we came here. So what was that thing(s) that finally pushed you into serious mode. What made all the difference?

For me it was life insurance. I had been fat (technically obese) for a very long time. I probably weighed 260-270 when I graduated high school and 290 or so when I graduated college (just guessing since I never stepped on scales). Over the years I slowly worked my way up to 350. I knew I needed to lose weight, but never really made an effort to do it. Sure, every now and then I'd get motivated and try to jog around the block or something, but I always ended up going 100 yards or so and then walking back home and sitting on the couch. In hindsight, it was a miserable existence.

After my wife had our second child, I decided it would be a good idea to raise my life insurance coverage. "No problem," they said, "We'll just come to your house to take a little blood and a few measurements and we'll be good to go." Well, they came. About two weeks later I got a letter saying that my request to increase coverage was declined. They gave me a number to call if I wanted to know why, so I called. The lady on the phone very politely and professionally explained to me that my weight to height ratio was too high and that my bloodwork indicated high levels in places where it shouldn't.

That was my wakeup call. I plan to lose another 40-50 pounds and then call them again. This time I suspect the results will be different.

Bigger picture though, I'm so glad to be healthy and active now. I can run and play with my kids all day long and they'll get tired long before I do. Instead of sitting on the couch and watching them play, I now play WITH them. Every facet of my life is so much better after losing almost 100 pounds. It will be better still when I hit my goal.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Mine is utterly stupid and I am a actually a little embarrassed to say, but I will :D

I was always aware that I had got a bit over weight, having kids etc, I was aware this was not good for my health and all the other things that motivate people, but what made me do it was a tad odd.

My b/f was in hospital for 4months and I was left with the new born. During this time I watched the every series of desperate housewives to pass the time at night. One episode one of the husbands is about to get his sight back and see his wife for the first time and she has put on some weight etc. So she goes all out so when he sees her she looks good. It was honestly this, at the time I thought wow I need to do that for my b/f. I have a few months until he is out of hospital, I am bored in the house with the kids and I only have to cook for myself.

So yeah desperate housewives, did it for me :D
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This picture

IMG00724-20100821-2230.jpg

Need to point out here that I'm NOT a Nazi sympathiser! I was at a 1940's weekend!
  • PatriciaO
    Options
    The thing that pushed me this time, My overall health is deteriating. I hate everything I put on. I feel bloated , tired, and don't feel good about myself. I realized I needed to take charge. My emotions were all over the place. Everyday now that I succeed I feel more energized and proud. I already feel like I am worthy of ther change. Baby steps, but for everyday I succeed I am better.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Looking good next to my sexy military man.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I finally got within 10 lbs of my goal weight and then stopped working out and started eating a lot. I got up to 180, 5 lbs heavier than my highest weight ... and just knowing that I had been up and down twice since I was a teenager and I wanted to be down as long as I could. I felt crappy eating crappy food and sitting on my *kitten* and decided it was time to feel better, be healthy, and finally get down to my goal weight/size.