Runners - what is a hill?

Options
If there is one thing that has always been hard for me it is climbing steps/hills. For that reason I was mostly avoiding them as I learned to run. Maybe that was a mistake.

I learned the hard way that what I call a hill and what experienced runners (or runners who are in much better shape) call a hill are two different things. When I ran my first 5K the people I talked to there said it was a “flat course” but when I ran it I realized there was what I consider a huge hill near the finish. I really struggled to keep running up that hill and had to slow down quite a bit to make it – I realized that I needed to start mixing in some hills with my runs.

After running on some smaller hills over the past few weeks I decided to try something bigger so I decided to run on a trail that I heard was hilly. After running it I think I would have called it mountainous. The biggest hill (mountain) was right at the start and I never did recover - the entire 3.0 miles were very hard for me.

I finally found some time to map the route to see how steep that hill is - the first .05 miles was a slight climb, but the next .30 miles climbs just over 100’ before leveling out some. The rest of the 1.50 miles I ran was up and down but nothing near that steep.

So a few questions to those of you who have experience running:

What is a “big” hill? Is climbing 100’ in .35 miles a small hill, a large hill, or am I right – it is a mountain?
Is the best way to get used to running hills simply finding difficult hills and running them? Or is there another way?
Should I cut the distance back when I run a hilly course?

Thank you in advance for your replies and any advice you may have.

Replies

• Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    the only way you get better at hills is by running up them, I had the same problem but I am getting better but it does take time.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

So a few questions to those of you who have experience running:

What is a “big” hill? Is climbing 100’ in .35 miles a small hill, a large hill, or am I right – it is a mountain?
    Is the best way to get used to running hills simply finding difficult hills and running them? Or is there another way?
    Should I cut the distance back when I run a hilly course?

Well, "big" is relative and I imagine you'll get quite a variety of what people consider big. There's nothing that can replace the training of learning how to run up and down hills. Sure, you can do weight lifting/strength training to build up your muscles, but running hills is training that can't be replaced by anything else.

About your pace - you can't expect to keep the same speed while also gaining elevation, or at least not until you get more practice at it. Shorten your stride, lean into the hill and keep your eyesight maybe 20 feet ahead of you so you remain upright and don't tire and collapse going up the hill. Have fun! :)
  • ShellyAnn46
    ShellyAnn46 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Kevin,
    good questions--I needed some of those answers & petiterun thanks for the answers!!!!! I am so NEW at all this running stuff. Even though just working C25K I want to be able to hit the streets/hills by November....
  • ShellyAnn46
    ShellyAnn46 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IMO, it's all dependent on what you are accustomed to. "big" hills are anything that pushes you to your limit. Rolling hills are anything that challenge you but that you are able to manage.

It's just terminology really.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It is about 5.5% slope and is a fairly steep hill. Tht would push anyone's heartrate up. It is excellent for hill training though so run it more and it will get easier.
  • sherry0614
    sherry0614 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in the flats of Jersey, so no hills to speak of at all. But, being new to the C25K community, even an inclined road gets my heart rate speeding up there. Maybe running on a treadmill would be better to incorporate these hills???
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    A hill for me is anything I have to adjust my pace to get up. I live/run in Atlanta, so there's no avoiding them. My runs regularly include fairly steep inclines lasting 1/2 to more than a mile. I was running a 5k in another super flat city, and the other runners were all complaining about the big hill - I had no idea what they were talking about. Got a PR in that race b/c it was the easiest 3 miles I'd ever run!

Just keep training on them - they get easier!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Great Post - It is time to find my local hills and attack them!
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I live in Jacksonville, Florida.
    Therefore, a "hill" is a bridge.
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you live in a flat area, find a flight of stairs and do repeats running up and walking or running down, it can be just as good as running in an area with lots of hills. I don't really have that problem, I have to drive 30 min to find a flat course for my longer runs :)
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your comments.

I plan on hitting that trail as often as possible - hopefully one day I will get to the top and think, "that wasn't so bad." Until then, I will keep huffing and puffing along.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I live in Jacksonville, Florida.
    Therefore, a "hill" is a bridge.

I'm in Orlando, FL and was going to say just this. Going on an overpass is a very large hill for me!
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree with most of the above people, it depends what you are used to! I live in the Peak District, UK (the name is a giveaway!) so it's harder to find a flat road than a hilly one. But I still find it difficult to run them! I'm getting better though, I'm definitely stronger on hills than I was after I've been trying to tackle some. But they don't half leave me wheezing if it's a particularly steep or long one!

Just keep practising on hills. Incorporate a hill run into your weekly schedule and you'll soon notice the difference.