Too much water?

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You are drinking way to much water. We should be comsuming no more than 64 oz of water a day. Excessive thirst and frequent urination is a sure sign of diabetese but, it just sounds like you are drinking way to much water.

64 oz is typically considered the minimum people should drink, NOT a maximum. Many people need more than this.

Every doctor I've ever known has said most people don't need 8 glasses of water because we get enough from food. This is the first I've ever heard a medical professioanl quoted as saying normal people need more than that. In fact, the most recent studies are saying it's better to eat water-heavy foods to keep hydrated than to drink a lot of water (especially for weight loss).

I work out for hours in Florida summer heat and still only need about 100 oz of water to stay hydrated.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You are drinking way to much water. We should be comsuming no more than 64 oz of water a day. Excessive thirst and frequent urination is a sure sign of diabetese but, it just sounds like you are drinking way to much water.

64 oz is typically considered the minimum people should drink, NOT a maximum. Many people need more than this.

Every doctor I've ever known has said most people don't need 8 glasses of water because we get enough from food. This is the first I've ever heard a medical professioanl quoted as saying normal people need more than that. In fact, the most recent studies are saying it's better to eat water-heavy foods to keep hydrated than to drink a lot of water (especially for weight loss).

I work out for hours in Florida summer heat and still only need about 100 oz of water to stay hydrated.

I totally agree that people *should* be getting some of their water from water-heavy foods, but the problem is that in our culture, most people do not eat these kind of foods - they eat the opposite. Lots of carbs and fried foods where fat has replaced the water, very few water-loaded veggies or fruit.

8 glasses is probably enough for most people - but to say that no one needs to drink more than that is defnitely not true.
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I heard that you should take your body weight in lbs and divide it by 2 - this is the amount of Fl oz you should be drinking (just plain water) per day, and extra if you exercise.

Anyone know if that's right?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I totally agree that people *should* be getting some of their water from water-heavy foods, but the problem is that in our culture, most people do not eat these kind of foods - they eat the opposite. Lots of carbs and fried foods where fat has replaced the water, very few water-loaded veggies or fruit.

8 glasses is probably enough for most people - but to say that no one needs to drink more than that is defnitely not true.

I didn't say "no one." I said "most." YOU said "most people" need more. And carbs don't cause dehydration. That's why people lose so much weight on low-carb diets: Their bodies drop water weight without enough carbs.

I would hope most people on a weight loss plan like MFP are eating plenty of fruits and veggies.

Thank you, Hill. I love Snopes!
  • crimsonrambler
    crimsonrambler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think the key here, rather than going back and forth over whether you're drinking too much or not enough, is that the person you should be asking is a medical professional that is familiar with your overall health.

People need different things, and if you were experiencing those symptoms, the best thing you can do is talk to your doctor. Talking to a doctor about these things might seem insignificant, but not only can they offer you the insight you need, they might also have better tips to help you personally lose the weight you want to.

ALL weight loss programs will tell you that you need to consult a physician FIRST.