Overtraining?

Options
I am wondering if I am doing too much training for my body at the moment.......I wouldn't have thought what I am doing is excessive, but I am finding that each time I go to the gym, I am finding it harder and harder, instead of easier! In the last month I was doing a couple of weight sessions a week, and each time I would struggle to lift weights that I had lifted in the previous session. I have also been running, and each session seems harder than the one before.

I was doing a combination of weights and cardio during the week, but was not losing any weight (in fact was putting on!), so for the last two weeks I have dropped the weights and upped the cardio to try and make something shift. But it is still not getting easier....today I attempted to do a 5km run, which I can normally do, but I had to take a break at 2.5km and then had to stop at 4km, I felt dead! I do dance classes as well and tonight I felt so lethargic....normally once I get into a class I become energised even if I am tired to begin with, but tonight I just couldn't wait to stop!

For the last 2-3 weeks this has been my average training: 3 dance classes (1x3hr, 2x1hr), 1 yoga class (1.5hr), 1 5km run (just under 30 mins), 2-3 interval running sessions (25-30 mins), plus teaching 3 dance classes, although I don't really count them as exercise for me. I didn't really think that would be considered excessive?

Do you think my body is telling me to take a break? Or is there other reasons why it could possibly be getting harder, not easier?? It's very disheartening, as I am not losing weight either, and now I'm feeling like I can't exercise as well as I should be!

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you taking in a day?
  • gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It may not be that you need to take a break, but that you need to increase your intake. As we continue to train harder, our metabolism burns faster (especially if you weight train). A lot of the time, when weight loss is stagnant (don't forget to check your inches), it is because our bodies are starving and are eating everything we give it and leaves nothing to burn. What may have worked calorically a month ago, may not be enough now. I am going through the same problem. The last couple of days I have been dragging and the push is so much harder. I was just getting ready to adjust my intake to see what happens (it worked the last time). If it continues, then I would definitely look into that break.

Good luck.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but when I took up running I found I was getting weaker and slower through the week. I read a book about heart rate training that basically told me I was always training in no man's land (150-170bpm for me).
    I needed to interval train at more than 170bpm, and I needed to recover at less than 150bpm - which meant that I was genuinely taking it easy and giving my body a chance to recover.

I could run every day, I just needed to make sure I was recovering at a low enough rate.

It made a big difference for me.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Could be a bunch of things. If you're new to lifting, you're probably not over trained. Post your split so we can see how you're setting up your routine.
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't exactly count calories, but a typical work day would go something like this:

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs with 1/2 cup milk,1 grilled tomato and 5-6 grilled mushrooms.
    Snack - Carrot and capsicum sticks with hummus dip
    Lunch - Salad with 80-100g of chicken
    Snack - Apple and a protein bar
    Dinner - 300g of vegies with 100g protein (chicken, steak or low fat sausages)
    Snack - Yoghurt (sometimes with fruit too)

I usually stick to that fairly well for 4-5 days, with maybe an extra treat on a Friday, and then I relax more on the weekends. I don't drink much alcohol but I do have a few junky things on a weekend.....not so much meals but more snacky things like chocolate or lollies.

I am definitely not losing inches or weight!

In terms of weight training, I'm not new to it, but I'm not a person who is an expert either.....I've probably been doing 1-2 sessions of 45mins to an hour for a few years. I have been mixing things up over the years, but lately I would do one session where I do supersets of back squat/rope curl, deadlift/chest press, bent over row/pull ups and bench press/plank. If I do another session I would usually do leg extensions and curls, or hammer squats, plus a few arm things like lat raise, upright row, chest fly....things like that.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I would say maybe take a few days off training and rest. Keep your calories to what they should be and then go training again.

I have found that sometimes taking a week off makes me feel like new when I do a gym session after that.
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't know your exact numbers but it seems to me like you aren't eating enough. Give it more fuel. If you are working harder you need more calories.

Your body needs calories to have energy. I recently increased my calorie intake by 200 and began losing again after a plateau and increasing my workouts. Keep in mind that I have been tracking what I eat and my body is different than yours.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    How much are you sleeping?
  • Thunderfan66
    Options
    Sleeping is an issue for me....I average about 6 hours a night during the week and I never sleep through.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "over training"

there is such a thing as "under resting"

If you feel you are struggling- you either ARE NOT eating enough- or you aren't RESTING enough. Make sure you give yourself rest days.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Your body needs calories to have energy. I recently increased my calorie intake by 200 and began losing again after a plateau and increasing my workouts. Keep in mind that I have been tracking what I eat and my body is different than yours.

I would agree with this sentiment. With all that work that you are doing, you absolutely need to eat more in order for your body to get stronger, not weaker. Good luck.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You do probaly 80% more cardio than I do and I eat 2025 calories a day.

Try this calculator to figure out your intake: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Having some REAL rest/recovery days will probably help with the sleeping, which will help all around. And don't stop lifting - it's life changing. :)
  • wibblefps
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're over-doing it, pure and simple. Been there numerous times.

The litmus test is simple. Stop everything for 3-4 days. If you're very strong in your workout on the 5th day then you KNOW your body needed the recovery.

I'm in the gym/running 3-5 days a week and every so often I take a week off because I can see my times going down, despite protein shakes, creatine and glutamine. Then I'll go back after a short break and blitz my routine! But then I'm 40 so maybe needing the break is an age thing!
  • christyallgood
    christyallgood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I went through something similar. I kept working out, putting on pounds, gaining inches. Tried eating less, working out more. Eating more with same exercise. And repeat. Nothing changed for a couple months doing this. I finally got fed up and took a whole week off. That's when I dropped 6 lbs of what I am guessing was water weight. I think I was overtraining and whacked up my hormones. Rest IS a good thing I guess! IMO.
  • Thunderfan66
    Options
    But then I'm 40 so maybe needing the break is an age thing!

I'm 36 so not far off from you!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments suggesting you probably need to eat and sleep better. What you posted as your typical food intake seems pretty low-calorie to me...try logging and see what your numbers are like. Sleep is of huge importance as well, as that's when all your recovery and repair takes place. If you could get those two things straight, I think you'd feel much better.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I can definitely say, it is not overtraining. Overtraining comes from excessive frequency and/or intensity. None of what you said comes even close.

If you're struggling from fatigue, it could be a number of things:
    - Eating enough calories
    - Getting enough protein and fat
    - Meal timing
    - Getting enough sleep
    - Life stressors
    - Muscle imbalances/injury
    - Iron (or other mineral deficiency)
    - Illness (cold, flu, mono, malaria, etc.)

If you can't assess these well yourself, consider seeking medical and professional (personal trainer, dietitian) assistance.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Dinner - 300g of vegies with 100g protein (chicken, steak or low fat sausages)

You do realize 100grams of protein is a little over a pound of meat?
  • wibblefps
    Options
    But then I'm 40 so maybe needing the break is an age thing!

I'm 36 so not far off from you!

I'm still jealous....
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I eat about 700-950 calories a day and run 5 miles every morning for 6 days a week. I have hard days and easy days. Sometimes if I've had a few hard days in a row then I just increase my calories a bit. Seems to always help. Here's a video that may help to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvByZlyacg
    *hunts frantically for picture of the Nopefish from I'llnevergothere inScrewthatistan.*
    No!