Exams - halt to healthy lifestyle??

Options
Hi guys!! I'm doing some serious law exams starting Oct 1 ( Irish equivalent of Bar exam in the US) and due to taking it too easy with the study i have left myself in a predicament where i have to spend my whole day studying and cramming with no room to go to the gym.

I am worried about my progress being lost, i have lost 26'' since march and still have a long way to go! due to this i really want to focus on my diet during the next 4 weeks and get it right as i either want to maintain my bodyfat % or lose but hell no i refuse to gain.

students - any tips on healthy snacks, eating habits, meal plans you keep to during stressful exam times?

I know some people lose weight due to stress but not be when im stressed i tend to eat way more but i won't let it happen this time.

Is it silly for me to be worried about muscle atrophy during the next 4 weeks? i can do some barbell exercises at home from time to time (if possible) but no where near as much as the amount of training i usually do.

i am a female, 5' 5'', 23 years old, 192lbs.

help a stressed girl out :)

Replies

• hallowedhill
    Options
    First, good luck on your exams. When I was in a Master's Program for Architecture, I found that the only way I could pull the all nighter's and still function was to eat right and take occasional sanity breaks. From what I've read, 80% of losing weight is diet / 20% is exercise so you can still make great progress even without the usual amount of exercise.

I'm no nutritionist, but I would classify myself as a protein person and have to have regular meals with substantial protein, you may be different so go with what you know. I snack on raw walnuts to keep me going between meals, and occasionally snack on Kind's Dark Chocolate and Peanut butter Protein Bars. Drink lots of water to keep yourself feeling full. Always plan your meals ahead so you don't fall into the usual temptations of junk / or take out food.

You might want to check online for some stretches that you can do at a desk, walk around the library or my favorite, run up and down the stairs a few times.

Most importantly, pass your tests and good luck!!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about maintaining your musculature but I'm sure you can definitely keep from gaining weight and likely keep losing just by watching your diet. If you aren't exercising anymore you may want to consider cutting back your intake by a couple hundred calories if you were using the tdee method. I just started the second year of my masters program a couple of weeks ago and I'm actually finding it to be a lot easier to stay on track because I'm so busy and don't have time to snack or be bored and kind of hungry! I am proactive and don't keep very many "trouble" foods in the house, so it isn't like a major inner battle as to whether I should have chips or carrots. I also try to make sure that I have a healthy snack with me in my afternoon classes so I'm not starving when I get out.

So I guess my advice for food is a mix of smart planning and allowing yourself to be absorbed by your studies so you don't obsess over your lifestyle.
  • kawasakininja13
    kawasakininja13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey, first of all I I just wanted to say this something I can definitely relate too as I'm studying combined law as well, and when exams come around all hell breaks lose, tensions and exam stress are high and well exercise an diet is of great concern. Now I personally find the following helps me: I train between study sessions, ie: high intensity cardio, if done properly can leave you well exhausted (and refreshed) in 30 mins tops. I usually do a 5-10min X-trainer warm up and then do incline sprint intervals for 10-15 minutes. If this isn't for you then ride a bike or go for a walk/run, to clear your head in a productive way! I also wanted to say that stay within your macros and eat healthy if you can, eat sugar because it helps memory retention (scientifically alleged anyway) but not excessively. I also snack on crackers (bland or lightly salted), sesame snaps, pop corn, tuna etc. I wish you all the very best for your studies :)
  • dietcokeg
    dietcokeg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    @hallowedhill (sorry forgot to quote!)

Thank you :) exactly the 80:20 rule is where its at!

I'm definitely like you in that i am a protein person, my favorite is chicken or fish with lots of veg!

will definitely give the peanut bars a go they sound amazing!

I'm thinking of taking a 30 minute walk a day in my back yard for my sanity!

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it :)
  • dietcokeg
    Options
    I'm not sure about maintaining your musculature but I'm sure you can definitely keep from gaining weight and likely keep losing just by watching your diet. If you aren't exercising anymore you may want to consider cutting back your intake by a couple hundred calories if you were using the tdee method. I just started the second year of my masters program a couple of weeks ago and I'm actually finding it to be a lot easier to stay on track because I'm so busy and don't have time to snack or be bored and kind of hungry! I am proactive and don't keep very many "trouble" foods in the house, so it isn't like a major inner battle as to whether I should have chips or carrots. I also try to make sure that I have a healthy snack with me in my afternoon classes so I'm not starving when I get out.

So I guess my advice for food is a mix of smart planning and allowing yourself to be absorbed by your studies so you don't obsess over your lifestyle.

Thank you! I know i won't be maintaining the musculature sadly but i guess I'll worry about that after exams, and hit the gym with more motivation!

definitely have to cut back, today is my first day with no gym and it feels weird, so far so good though.

going to be absorbed in the study for sure, ill probably forgot i even posted this in a few mins!

thanks!!
  • dietcokeg
    Options
    Hey, first of all I I just wanted to say this something I can definitely relate too as I'm studying combined law as well, and when exams come around all hell breaks lose, tensions and exam stress are high and well exercise an diet is of great concern. Now I personally find the following helps me: I train between study sessions, ie: high intensity cardio, if done properly can leave you well exhausted (and refreshed) in 30 mins tops. I usually do a 5-10min X-trainer warm up and then do incline sprint intervals for 10-15 minutes. If this isn't for you then ride a bike or go for a walk/run, to clear your head in a productive way! I also wanted to say that stay within your macros and eat healthy if you can, eat sugar because it helps memory retention (scientifically alleged anyway) but not excessively. I also snack on crackers (bland or lightly salted), sesame snaps, pop corn, tuna etc. I wish you all the very best for your studies :)

You know the hell i am going through right now then!! sucks doesn't it?! but it'll be over soon and i better do great in these exams!

My gym is far so it would take a huge chunk out of my day but if i had an X trainer at home that would be a fantastic idea! thinking of going for a walk during my breaks and maybe two or three times a day some barbell workouts - have to do something i hate all this sitting!

I loveee tuna!! might have some for lunch, thanks for the suggestion! i second the sugar boost for memory, when i get tired i usually drink a diluted fruit juice to keep my going.... but with all the coffee i drink god knows tiredness is not an issues, just pure boredom!!

thanks for the suggestions!
  • drinknderive
    drinknderive Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would keep baggies of cut up bell peppers, grapes, berries, carrots, celery, etc. in the refrigerator. I'd eat the veggies with hummus and eat a handful of almonds once or twice a day. If you eat sandwiches, make sure the bread is whole grain. That's my healthy snack plan.
  • thegabbleduck
    thegabbleduck Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    During my exams I plan (and weigh out etc) all the snacks I am going to have during the day at the library and don't let myself deviate from that. Typically I have fruits like raspberries, blueberries etc, yoghurt, nuts, cereal etc

I also enjoy taking breaks from my studying to exercise in the gym, I think 15-20 of cardio clears my head, and makes me feel a load better!

I hope your exams go well!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Actually, continuing exercise and healthy eating contributes to greater cognition. Recent studies link excess sugar consumption to falls in cognition. Research is also linking having enough sleep and a regular schedule to cognition. So the best thing to do for the exam period is to live even healthier than normal!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    AH FE1 hell!!!!

My tip - record some notes onto your phone! Then go for a walk while listening to what you've recorded. That way you get the vital fresh air we all need during FE1 season and you are still revising because that information will sink in, trust me!

I understand cramming, believe me, but I also understand the dangers of all study and no breaks. You need to take a break to allow the information you've just read to actually absorb into your brain!

And good luck - is this your first sitting?
  • dietcokeg
    Options
    A

That's the grade I am going for :)
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    A

That's the grade I am going for :)

Sorry, it posted before I was finished - I have edited!
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If one of your major things is lack of time to be worrying about prepping, just try and make healthy options seem as convenient as less-healthy ones..I keep the following sort of things around when I'm short on time or energy;
    mixed leaves/salad bags from the supermarket
    sliced lunch meat; lean ham, chicken, turkey etc.
    mixed frozen veg, I get a chinese mix that's great for stir fries
    flavoured rice crackers
    fruit for easy snacks
    tuna
    The salad is easy to toss in a bowl, add some tuna or I sometimes shred up some of the sliced meat, add a little vinegar or dressing and maybe some cheese.
    The veg is pretty much an instant stirfry, if you don't have cooking equipment they heat up in the microwave okay though, and a little stirfry sauce makes it yummy.
    I prefer the crackers over chips; you can snack on them on their own and they aren't too bad, or with a little dip, and or some of the sliced meats or tuna and some tomato...I also make up mini antipasto with a few crackers, some hummus, a few veggie sticks, a slice of cheese..maybe some olives.
    Just things that will make you feel like it isn't a huge effort, I suppose.
  • enchanted777
    Options
    Hi guys!! I'm doing some serious law exams starting Oct 1 ( Irish equivalent of Bar exam in the US) and due to taking it too easy with the study i have left myself in a predicament where i have to spend my whole day studying and cramming with no room to go to the gym.

I am worried about my progress being lost, i have lost 26'' since march and still have a long way to go! due to this i really want to focus on my diet during the next 4 weeks and get it right as i either want to maintain my bodyfat % or lose but hell no i refuse to gain.

students - any tips on healthy snacks, eating habits, meal plans you keep to during stressful exam times?

I know some people lose weight due to stress but not be when im stressed i tend to eat way more but i won't let it happen this time.

Is it silly for me to be worried about muscle atrophy during the next 4 weeks? i can do some barbell exercises at home from time to time (if possible) but no where near as much as the amount of training i usually do.

i am a female, 5' 5'', 23 years old, 192lbs.

help a stressed girl out :)

I understand this whole "no time for exercise" thing during exams because I do the same thing.
    1. don't resort to junk food as a "source of energy". Actually it's not fatigue that you are feeling when you're working/studying too much. It's stress. So during study breaks, I recommend drinking some water and doing something fun for like 10 minutes or so to relieve stress.
    2. fruits & popcorn are the best snacks in my opinion.
    3. don't worry about your muscles. Maybe they will get a little weaker. but once you get back to the gym after exams they will get strong again.
    4. sometimes it's a good idea to walk around for 10-15 minutes during study breaks.
    5. maybe you don't have time for the gym but maybe you can do 10 minutes of yoga when you wake up. Or maybe some pushups. To get the circulation movie and to awaken your body.

Hope it helps.

Good luck!! :)
  • dietcokeg
    Options
    thanks everyone for the great tips!! i like the snack tips a lot and during my breaks will be sure to get some activity in!!

thanks again!
  • dietcokeg
    Options
    AH FE1 hell!!!!

My tip - record some notes onto your phone! Then go for a walk while listening to what you've recorded. That way you get the vital fresh air we all need during FE1 season and you are still revising because that information will sink in, trust me!

I understand cramming, believe me, but I also understand the dangers of all study and no breaks. You need to take a break to allow the information you've just read to actually absorb into your brain!

And good luck - is this your first sitting?

first time sitting them!! soo stressed! i am guessing you have sat them before? how did you find them?!

thanks for the suggestions will defo give them a try!