What type of exercise works for you?

Options
yowla
yowla Posts: 127 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I have been on this site for a couple of years now and I have watched people lose anywhere from 10-100lbs. I get so discourage seeing this. I must admit that I don't log my foods like I should and I don't exercise every day like I should. In fact I have gained 25lbs in the last 6 months by just giving up on myself.

I use to be so super thin (size 2) and now I am a size 10-12 and those clothes are getting to tight. I know I have to do something. I always put on my status "I am starting over and this time it is for good.' But my problem is motivation. I have none. I am so busy all the time with kids and a family that I just get so tired and I don't want to do anything but sit in front of the tv and then eat my potato chips and of course I can't stop there because I feel so bad that I just keep eating more and then I tell myself tomorrow is a new day.

Well today is that tomorrow. My pants this morning were so tight that I am sitting at work hurting. Either I figure something out or just accept the fact that I need to buy new clothes and keep getting heavier. I don't know what type of exercise I should do. I don't know what is fun anymore. I am not the healthiest eater. I am very picky and I have a lot of food allergies to fruits and veggies so I tend to grab for the breads and pastas.

If you have felt this way or still feeling this way what type of exercise did you get into that was fun, that actually works and you look forward to doing? For my husband it is running. For me it's hand exercising, switching channels on the remote control. LOL

Replies

• simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home and I am currently doing Insanity but I have also done other workout dvd's by Jillian Michaels and Billy Blanks. I also love to do Dance Central or Just Dance with the Xbox 360 Kinect, go for runs or walks with my kids, etc.

It's the battle in your mind you have to force your way through. You have to be able to push yourself and make exercise a part of your routine. There are plenty of mornings where I don't want to push play on the dvd but I do it anyway, no matter how tired I am. It's just part of my day and I usually feel so much better, and even energized, afterward. Good luck!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Maybe for a start think less about diet and exercise and more about trying to make healthy changes. You said your husband runs which makes me think he would probably be pretty supportive of this whole adventure, ask him to just go on a walk with you a few days a week more for talking and company than exercise. It wont feel painful but it helps. I also really like hiking if you have chances to do that, more fun than running but still great exercise, and really fun when you have a dog that loves it too???? for me though getting other people involved in my exercise is a huge motivator, keep you honest with yourself and makes it more fun!

It will be a little harder if you have alot of veggie alergies, they are a large part of my diet, but I think you try to make sure you eat good protein in meals it might help you. Fills you up better which helps eliminate the snacking.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have to love what I'm doing. I love lifting heavy and swimming.

Your story is familiar to many here, I'm sure. But whether or not you realize it, YOU are the only one who can help you. And you have complete, 100% control. You just have to decide to use it. It's really your choice.

If you don't log your foods and you don't exercise... where would you even start? If you really care about it, start logging your food. All the time. Every mouthful. At least you find out why you have gained weight. Try several different things like Yoga or swimming.
  • milesbrockovich
    Options
    For a long time I really hated exercise. In fact, I still hate most forms. But I love kickboxing! It's hard work, but it leaves me feeling energized and powerful. I haven't lost any weight (haven't gained any, either), but my muscles have gotten huge! Haha. I feel so much more in shape now. Don't be afraid to try other forms of exercise besides the typical going to the gym, running, etc. For example, Anna Richardson, British TV personality, has talked about how much she hates exercise, but then she tried surfing and fell in love.

The same idea goes for food. There are so many more vegetables out there than just broccoli and spinach.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Make today your first day for the new you. You were lucky! You used to be a size 2? What in the world is that like? 10-12 - is not bad, but its never where i wanted to be - like all my life! I am now 67 and don't really know what got me going, but 4 months ago i found out about MFP and started. My first goal from 159 was 130. Well - i can't really say i believed i could do that, but thought i would put it down anyway. If you are going to dream - dream Big, right? I think the last time i was there was probably in my low 30's. After that, i always "wanted" to be smaller, but never did anything seriously about it. Diet - lose a few pounds and back on it goes. So here i am at 67 - very active - and wanting to lose weight -and actually doing something about it.

First - LOG. Log everything. Every bite that goes in your mouth. This works for me - it makes me accountable. Next - exercise!
    Yes, you can lose without doing that - but it makes you lose faster - and you get another benefit - you get healthier. Wow! Whats not to like about that? For me its cycling. I was really into it 8 years ago when i was competing, but since then have hardly ever even gone out for a "fun" ride. I had been playing lots of tennis these past 8 years which i truly love. But almost a year ago - i got injured. Tore a tendon around my ankle - so i did Nothing for about 6 months. Found MFP - found the exercise part of it - and started cycling again. It Burns! Calories that is. I am almost at my "unattainable" First goal. 135 this AM! I will soon set the ticker for a lower goal. I am getting there - i will go beyond there.

What i am saying is - do it now - enjoy a slim adult life! Don't wait until you are 67! But hey - its better than never!
    Do it - you can!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Hello!

You've witnessed the changes I've had with NROLFW. For me, lifting was the way to go. I can eat all the things I love, (in moderation, I won't sit and eat a whole pizza), work out two or three times a week, and STILL get smaller. I have gained a couple pounds, but my clothes are so loose! I struggled with guilt, taking time from the kids and hubby to workout, but I had to make it MY time. That hour a few times a week is for ME. I could easily waste that time in front of the T.V or my computer.

It's a mindset. You can do it! I have faith in you!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    For the most part I work out at home.

2 days a week I have a fitness class at the gym in work - I do these with another girl from work so we force eachother to go!

7 days a week I have to walk the dog and I count that as exercise

And 7 days a week I've been sticking a fitness DVD into the machine and doing a 20-30min workout. I find these the best because everyone can find 30mins in their day, so I really have no excuse for not doing it every day.

I'm in the UK and up until now have been using the Davina Fitness App workouts, but I've just ordered 2 Jillian Micheals box sets and will be starting them as soon as they arrive. I'm actually looking forward to it even though I know it'll hurt.

I think its about finding what fits into your lifestyle the easiest because then you are less likely to skip a session. I've yoyo'd for a few years now, and I can honestly say I really think I've found the right approach this time and my mindset is completely different. I'm only a few weeks in and have about 35 or so pounds left to lose, but I'm not dreading the process like I used to.
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    over the years i have tried everything but the two times i have lost significant weight (both times over 80 lbs once 15 yrs ago and again this year) the elliptical was what worked for me... but the key for me is my music!

when i started i was very out of shape and did 10 min in morning and 10 min at night... i got up to 40 min a day... now i just started running and found i love it... i do 20 min elliptical in morning and run/walk for about 25 min in afternoon.... i also started lifting heavy weights love what it has done to my body!

diet has been key for me... this is not a diet for me i have revamped my life and am loving it

good luck with you choices!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to start is to start slowly. Change something every week for the healthier and then build from there gradually making a change every week. You could start with 10-15 minute walks and build from there.

When I first decided to lose weight I was in a lot of pain from rheumatoid arthritis and found almost all exercise to be not just difficult, but impossible. I could walk though. I started out slowly and built from there. When I first started walking 1/2 a mile about did me in because of my joint problems. Now 3-5 miles is my norm! I also workout from home. I started with JM 3DS and am currently doing Focus T25.

If exercise isn't your thing focus on diet first, then incorporate exercise. I think once you get into the swing of things you will find you love your daily workouts! I love my walks now and consider them therapy.

Good luck to you!
  • kim72sean
    Options
    Focus on one meal at a time. Get out those measuring cups and follow the serving sizes, every little bit helps. Then google the 7 minute scientific work out you only need a chair or steps. SEVEN MINUTES just do as many as you can for the 30 sec, your pace and just push yourself to do one or two more the next round. Good luck.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    First log everything

break everything doen into doable goals, maybe just concentrate on 10 lbs st a time, and reward yourself for every 10 lbs, i nouhht myself a new pair of earrings for every 10 lbs

replace the chips with popchips or a healthier choice, try to make all your favorites better choices ex I dont buy ice cream anymore but noe buy ice cream bars

with exercise start slow and build from there I tell myself I have to do at least 10 mins a day but once I get started I usually do 60-90 mins, why is it so hard to get started?....I started with just swimming and walking and keep adding new things trying new classes keeps it exciting, I tried yoga this summer and recently tried a spinning class, also blogilates on youtube it alot of fun check it out

hope this helps, together we can do this
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You have giving a lot of different advice. It helps so much to see that others have been where I am and how they have pushed through. I try to run with my hubby. Infact we have 1/2 marathon to do together in October. I hate running by myself because I can so talk myself into a break to walk so I want to run with him but he is so mean when we run together. I just feel like I lose. I try to workout when I get home from work but the kids wont leave me alone and I have 3 dogs that drive me nuts. I have tried to get up early and I can if I can get to bed on time. I have so many excuses but never the right attitude. Today when I couldn't button my pants up I told myself either I do this or I HAVE to break down and buy new clothes. And as we all know it isn't fun buying new clothes that are bigger than the onces we just grew out of.
    This has helped me a ton.
  • fit4lifemom
    fit4lifemom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Now I alternate swimming, treadmill walk/runs and stationary bike for my cardio. I also do 10 mins of abs or weights after the cardio. Except for swimming, I work out in my basement. I am housebound because we have young children and odd work schedules. I'm hoping to move my runs outside in Nov.

The key for me is to vary my intensity so that at some point in each workout that I'm also pushing myself a little. The body adapts to work quite quickly so it is important to have variety of some form.

Start slow. I started with 10 mins a day 4 months ago. Mow I'm at 45 mins a day.

Keep looking for some form of exercise you enjoy. Or join a local running club, most running stores here have free clubs that meet 2 times a week and have offerings for all levels.

And I have to agree, record your food and workouts. It is too easy to lie to yourself. I did it all the way up to 47 pounds overweight.

Good luck
    Colleen
This discussion has been closed.