Should I increase or decrease my carb intake?

Options
So I have been doing 30/50/20 carb/protein/fat which leaves me around 100g of carbs and then more depending on how much I exercise. I have had some serious fatigue and brain fog for the past few weeks and after doing some research it seems that it may be from my body going in and out of ketosis. Now I'm not sure if I should drop my carb intake so that I'm in ketosis or if I should just stay away from it completely. I've always heard that carbs are the enemy, but lately I've been learning that it's all about calories in vs calories out. Can anyone give me their 2 cents on my carb intake?

Replies

• magellan213
    Options
    I forgot to add that yesterday I decided to switch my settings from 2lbs a week to 1.5lbs to see is maybe I'm just not eating enough in general.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    100g of carbs per day or more will not put you in ketosis. You would need to be eating 20-30g of carbs per day, every single day, for a week or more to get into ketosis. Some people can maintain ketosis on 100g of carbs per day once they're there, but even that's pretty rare; usually it's much lower, like 50-70g/day.
  • magellan213
    Options
    I heard it's different for people who are active. I usually work out 4-5 times a week and burn around 500 calories per work out.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    What are your stats.

Weight
    bf%
    Daily caloric intake
    Fat grams

It could be you need more carbs in could mean you need more calories than you eat now, training dependent. You have to find what works for you as far as carbs go, how your energy and mood levels are. Some people do well at 20g, 50g some better at 100-150 and many people do great at +200 or 300. It's all relative to the individual. No one can tell you how much you need, that's for you to decide.

In b4 this turns into a diabetic conversation. As always.
    diabetus.jpg
  • magellan213
    Options
    190lbs
    5'8"
    (not sure on bf% really)
    I was getting around 1350 calories then I would add whatever I worked off (just switched to 1550 calories)
    Fat I have had trouble keeping at a certain number but it's ranged between 35 - 50grams

I've had fatigue and brain fog ever since i've been low carb.