Ladies, I need advice on birth control

Options

Replies

• hidbee
    hidbee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been on Lo Lo Estrin FE for about a year and a half. It has been AMAZING. Super low dose of hormones, great skin and NO WEIGHT GAIN. This has been the only pill I've taken where losing weight has been a challenge. I highly recommend.
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    hormone free copper iud PARAGUARD LASTS 10 YEARS- I used mine for eight years without a single problem. I had it removed by my choice in November last year and had my tubes tied in January of this year.

I have tried many other options but I liked this one best for me. We all know our bodies are different and certain things work for some, and some things do not work for others. I can also say I tried the Mirena and it failed 3 times on me. For this you will have to find what works best for you and you only. I don't mind saying what worked for me and my body though.

Im just saying it may not work for you.......but it worked perfectly for me

I highly recommend this one over the five year iud because this one is hormone free
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I use Nuvaring. No mood swings or PMS, and I get to skip a period if I want!

This^^^
    I have used Nuvaring for 7 years and recommend it!

NuvaRing. It's awesome. Unless you're allergic to latex....
    I have a friend who had an AWFUL time with that.

Like I said, you can't choose BC based on what worked for someone else.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    just get married. they put something in the cake that makes you never want to have sex again. problem solved.

lol

:laugh:

You win the internet for today.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and the hormonal symptoms were horrible before I started my current BC. I had terrible cystic acne, had gained lots of weight after giving birth and was an all around mess.

My doctor diagnosed me with PCOS and started me on Tri-Nessa (pill), saying it would help regulate my hormones again. Within the first month, my skin was more clear than I had seen it since middle school . I started dieting and lost a fair amount of weight. The only issues I have had have been stress-related (messing up hormones and causing spotting) or boyfriend related (gained back some weight from dating and lots of sweets we've made).

I highly recommend.

I would never do and IUD. My best friend just had one put in and had to take 3 days off work because of pain. She has never been pregnant so the doctor advised against it and it took over an hour for her to try to get it in. The doctor almost gave up. LOL. She was hurting for a few days and has been on her period for 6 weeks now.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

This^^^

But you can get recommendations on what to try... There's no way to know if you don't try.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    you have to go see a dr. I have literally been on five different types of birth control in my life, I'm a difficult case bc my body has always been sensitive to hormone changing meds. it may take a year to find a pill that will work for you.
  • ChublessBunny
    ChublessBunny Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use a copper IUD like others here -- aside from the fact that my cramps and flow are a little worse some months, it's perfect....I've had it for five years. I almost died from blood clots in my early twenties from the pill, so no hormones for me!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Never want kids so I got a tubal ligation best thing I ever did, after being on horomonal bc for 10 yrs .
  • UNLESS19
    Options
    hi there :)
    Everyone reacts differently with birth control methods- although i know a few people with the implant where although it's great it makes you gain weight! so warning for you there
    I used to use microgynon 30 and where i was fine on it (though i can't say about mood problems as i had them before the pill) my friend became really aggressive and went to her dr, explained, tried a new type and was fine- so don't forget that you can shop around :)
    I'm now on rigevidon (apparently micro is too expensive for the NHS now haha so they're giving this cheaper version, which did throw me about a little to begin with but you need a week-a month to adjust and get used to them) i say i'm fine on it but it doesn't really help my cramps or anything really
    I also try not to skip a break/period as i have a period from hell if i do! (may not happen to you but i'm just saying haha)
    Hope this helps and you can always talk to your dr about it :)
    I've been on the pill for 2 years now and i don't think it made me gain weight but i am loosing now :)
    good luck!!
  • fhargis0002
    fhargis0002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i have the mirena, and have for 3 years. I want to remove it only because the long term affects of any bc are not good. My husband is going to get fixed lol. I gained a lot of weight while one it, but I also quit smoking and replaced the habit with food. In the last yr I have been able to loose 55 lbs with the implant still intact. So I believe the Mirena is a good option and if you gain any weight you may need to work on your diet, but i dont think the mirena caused my weight gain.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been on Yasmine for about 7 years now and Ive had no problems.I know lots of ppl don't like it and say it causes a whole bunch of clots and stuff but ive never had an issue. I didn't gain weight on it either. but lots of ppl don't like taking the pill everyday. The side affects to any pill or iud will be different with every person. you wont know how it affects you till you take it. Good luck!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I was on several different types of pill--it took my doctor a little while to find one that worked for me. A couple of types gave me really bad mood swings (crying one minute, laughing next, screeching in outrage the third--it was scary!) but we eventually found one that worked and I had no problems whatsoever. AND I got pregnant right away after I went off birth control, with no problems. So don't be scared if you do have negative reactions to one type--it just means it's not a good fit for your personal body chemistry. There are so many types out there that you should be able to find one that works for you if you don't want one of the other options.

Good luck!
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I have the mirena IUD and have not had any problems with weight gain or mood swings...

Yep. No weight gain + no mood swings + no periods + no having to remember to take anything + lasts 5 years = PURE WIN
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

This^^^

But you can get recommendations on what to try... There's no way to know if you don't try.
    True. But that's more a conversation that should be had with the doctor who knows all about your medical history and the ins and outs of different forms of BC than randomly online.

When I was having trouble with the pill the last two years on it, I had a very in-depth conversation with my gyno. And when Mirena was screwing with me, I talked to her about getting the tubes done.

I see people on here push the copper IUD all the time. If you have a heavy flow, you can't get that, but someone who never had a heavy flow is probably unaware of that and doesn't know if the OP has a heavy flow or any other issues.

The OP wants a BC that won't mess with her moods. Well, the pill never messed with MINE, but it does mess with others. Is she at risk for blood clots? What other meds is she on? Is she in a long-term, monogamous relationship? That was a prerequisite for me to get Mirena because it increases the chances of contracting an STD if you're exposed.

There are a million variables.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    In the bum no babies
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've been on the depo shot a little over a year. I didn't gain any weight, but I did notice my appetite increase. I haven't had my period since I started on it so I am in love with it. However, from what I've heard the majority of girls get bad side effects.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I have implanon (nexplanon) and I could not be happier with it.

I have had it for a year now, I have not gained weight at any different rate than when I was on pills.

I have had a total of about 3 days in the last year total when I had anything resembling a period. They're unpredictable but very very short and symptom-free (no pms/bloat/other signs of a "normal" period)

There's nothing to remember or mess up.

Planned Parenthood gave it to me for free.

I have no cons to report at all. When the 3 yrs are up, I will most likely get another one.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    watch out with the arm implant. I had wanted to get that too, but once I researched it I found that pieces could break off in your arm and need to be surgically removed. the idea that something keeping me from being fertile could get lost in my body was more risk than I was willing to take. I am on seasonique which is delightful bc I don't have to had a period every month.

no way this could happen.

it's like a rubbery matchstick. You can feel it under the skin. It's very flexible and soft, I can bend it and move it around, and there's nowhere for it to get lost.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Get a girlfriend!:tongue: