Walking the dog

Options
I have to rant!!! Walking the dog for 10 min. and "burning" 30 calories is NOT exercise!!!! I am so sick of seeing that and then the person "eats" their "workout" calories back. Then she wonders why she is not losing! Probably because you are eating above your macro goals.

Eating doesn't make you gain but eating above calories "burned" does!!! DUH

OK-I'm done. :drinker:

Replies

• doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    those people might have their activity level set at sedentary so they can log walking the dog. I don't think an extra 30 calories a day will make or break their weightloss lol.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Probably already set at a huge deficit. Not going to matter if they eat those 30 calories. Exercise is exercise, quit judging you Judgy McJudgerson.

ETA:
    tumblr_inline_mouak50min1qz4rgp.gif?w=698
  • 1. What business is it of yours how they log...if they are doing it wrong it will affect their results, not yours.

2. If they walked the dog burning 30 calories 2x per day, that would add up to over 400 calories per week, obviously every little bit adds up.

3. I wish folks would use the forums for reasons other than only wanting to complain, your post offers nothing in the way of offering to help solve a problem, etc, its just to *****.

That is all.

:)
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Logging washing the dishes as a strength exercise or something is pretty ridiculous, but if they're set to sedentary and that 30 calories really makes them feel better about themselves then who cares?

Walking DOES burn calories anyway, so if they really want to log it then more power to them.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I easily burn 200 calories walking the dog for 30 minutes. Living in Colorado dog walking in my area involves hills. At least according to my heart monitor watch.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You're actually supposed to eat your exercise calories back. And she might actually be burning a lot more than 30 calories if she's going fast enough in 10 minutes.

Eating less than calories burned doesn't mean you don't eat back your exercise calories, it means you eat less calories than you burn in the whole day. That means eating less than your TDEE. MFP already includes a deficit in your calorie goal so that you will accomplish this even when you eat back your exercise calories. In fact, if you don't eat your exercise calories back, you may do more harm than good.

Do a little research before you judge what other people do.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Or if they're morbidly obese and walking to the end of the driveway was a feat, then walking the dog for 10 minutes is amazing. I know when I started, I walked for 15 minutes and didn't think i would make it back home. You just completely ruined someone's self esteem by posting this bullsh!t. Congratulations, you're the "mean girl" in highschool.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I easily burn 200 calories walking the dog for 30 minutes. Living in Colorado dog walking in my area involves hills. At least according to my heart monitor watch.
    Your dogs are beautiful!
    If I 'walked' at the pace my german shepherd wanted to I would definitely be burning some serious calories worth logging. And if we had hills? Most definitely.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I have to rant!!! Walking the dog for 10 min. and "burning" 30 calories is NOT exercise!!!! I am so sick of seeing that and then the person "eats" their "workout" calories back. Then she wonders why she is not losing! Probably because you are eating above your macro goals.

Eating doesn't make you gain but eating above calories "burned" does!!! DUH

OK-I'm done. :drinker:
    Why are you so worried about what other people are doing?
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Ummmmmmm I walk my dog everyday wear a HRM and burn between 250 and 300 cals and eat at least half of them back.... and I have lost 50 lbs?????

Just sayin'

every lil bit counts

Same.
    I wear my HRM every day also when I walk him. When we go on the weekends I take him to the river valley trails and I can burn close to 1k calories according to my HRM.
    Since this is the only real change I've made in my life, if it's not what's cause my 30lbs loss in 4 mths then please do explain what is.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Probably already set at a huge deficit. Not going to matter if they eat those 30 calories. Exercise is exercise, quit judging you Judgy McJudgerson.

ETA:

Couldn't have put it better. Thank you.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I take my dog for a walk in the morning. It's not for long, maybe 20 minutes at a very brisk pace. But you can bet your *kitten* I log it, and why shouldn't I? I burned a lot more calories doing than than laying in bed for an extra 20 minutes! How's the view from up there?
  • Gavinsgama
    Options
    I walk my dog for two miles every other day. He is 90 lbs and walks at a very brisk pace. I lose over 200 calories per walk. That is 800 calories per week!! I get vitamin D Not to mention quality time with my amazing dog. I say log it, log every little thing and feel good about yourself.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    <<<<dog walker for a living...I do 6 30 minute dog walks a day and that adds up to well over 10K steps per day....you bet your sweet @ss I'm logging that *kitten* ::flounce::

I'd quit worrying about other people and keep my eyes on my own paper if I were you :blushing:
  • MattUFCP90X
    Options
    I walk my dog for him not me. I never thought of logging it in, but I agree with most of you that posted and thinking that the users can post whatever they want.
    I think I might try my HRM with him this afternoon. Good luck everyone on your goals!

"You get what you tolerate" - Tony Robbins
  • kramalicious
    Options
    Everything is relative. I walk an energetic Doberman for 20 minutes up a hill most bikers can't handle, then back down. Today's an "off" day for me, so that's all I am doing, but it's still a calorie burn. I would agree just a meandering walk isn't going to do much-- people need to push it and break a sweat! You have to keep challenging yourself, that's what it's about. If someone was hugely overweight, a dog walk might be the beginning to a new way of life. Like someone else said, Don't judge! I have learned to do what is working for me and not look to others to keep me motivated.
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If I 'walked' at the pace my german shepherd wanted to I would definitely be burning some serious calories worth logging. And if we had hills? Most definitely.
    [/quote]

RIght?! My 45 pound boxer could pull me to the ground if I wasn't paying attention on our walks. And she's petite!
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options

ETA:

This^
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh I TOTALLY log my walks with my dog unless I'm just kind of letting him meander around. I need all the extra calories I can get :) My "activity level" is set at sedentery, and a couple little walks like that really add up.

Plus, the way my 110 pound dog "walks" I would probably feel justified counting it as an upper body workout as well! (kidding on that last part...kind of).
This discussion has been closed.