I'm losing 40 lbs in 4 months!

Options

Replies

• mcgeorge5
    mcgeorge5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i guess im a rare "snowflake" i started my weight loss journey at the end of april. i have hit the 53 lbs gone. i eat. i dont starve myself. i eat what i want in moderation. i work out every day. i enjoy it. i take a few days off a week from the DVD. i purchased a body media fit device and i love it. i also weigh myself everyday. please no negative comments. i am very proud with how hard i have worked to get this far. i love the way my body is changing and im going to keep at it :happy:

No, you aren't a rare snowflake...but you did have 117lbs to lose to start. Please note the OP's disclaimer. I believe you fall into those she wasn't speaking to.

I think she's more talking about those with only 40-50lbs to lose thinking they'll just wipe it out in the next 4 months.

Maybe I fall into that category, too. I don't expect to loose 48 more pounds over the same time frame that I have lost the first 48. I understand. I didn't see the original "lose 40 in 4 months" thread. But for me it was attainable.
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hate to bust your bubble here, but I did lose 40lbs in four months, and I've kept it off.

I'm still eating pizza, rice, hamburgers, pasta, ice cream, etc.

Am I starving? No. Am I hating my diet and feel like cheating all the time? No.

Stop thinking you speak for everyone. You don't.
  • MrsCarpenter719
    MrsCarpenter719 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    all I want to say is that when i started to lose weight and work out i didnt cut my calories much i worked out 45 mins a day 5 days a week and just ate HEALTHIER and cut out soda but i still ate what i wanted to just a little less and a little more healthy. and in 4 months i did lose 40 lbs DURING the holidays. I started my journey last Aug and when it came to Jan 2013 I had lost almost 50 lbs and guess what a year later ive kept it off and ive lost almost 20 more lbs on top of that. so im not saying its possible for everyone but you have to stick to it for it to actually work. I went from 235 lbs to 175 (as of today)
  • nichi123
    Options
    I actually lost 42lbs in 3 months. I never intended it. I just ate healthy and exercised for 30 minutes 6 days a week. Needless to say it slowed after that but I'm just saying that it can be done in a healthy, sensible way.
  • nh38318
    nh38318 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ive joined the group and would be happy to lose anything in those 4 mths. I shall not be popping pills, drinking shakes or even starving myself.....

Everyone has their own opinion, if they dont like the sound of a group then theydont have to join it.
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    OP please don't jump to conclusions. I know the thread you are addressing and I just have to say that you kind of took what you wanted to hear and read and ran with it. Please go back an re read that thread specifically what the OP of that tread had to say. Thank you
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Now what? How long do you think you can keep up restricting, not eating carbs, replacing two meals a day with shakes, running 10 miles a day, or popping pills? Think you can do it the rest of your life? Because if you don’t, you are going to gain the weight back. Period.

This is the only part I have trouble with. People can do dreadful, horrible things to themselves (and others) for insanely long amounts of time. People can under eat and over train for years before they realize something isn't right.

Everybody's journey is different. I think the value of these forums is the community of people who are dedicated to helping others to find and stay on "the path".

The other thing is that there's great value to trying and failing. Failure is one of life's greatest teachers.

Lots of crabbi-pants-I-Don't-have-time-for-your-mistakes on the forum today.

Bad juju IMO

+1

+2
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mjvlppFAvk1qe9rxvo1_250.gif
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Nice post, OP, but the people you are talking to won't really "listen" to this until they're ready.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I actually lost 42lbs in 3 months. I never intended it. I just ate healthy and exercised for 30 minutes 6 days a week. Needless to say it slowed after that but I'm just saying that it can be done in a healthy, sensible way.

when did you lose 42 lbs? your ticker says 13.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Nice post, OP, but the people you are talking to won't really "listen" to this until they're ready.

QFT!
  • benjicloverdale
    benjicloverdale Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What am I supposed to do instead?

Make sure the goals you've set are reasonable and attainable, then go for it.

If you have more than 75 pounds to lose, 2 pounds a week is a reasonable and attainable goal. Once you have less to lose, weight loss will be slower. So then it would be better to aim for 1.5 pounds a week until you have maybe 40-50 pounds to go, then switch over to one pound a week. Then in the final 15, a half pound a week is a better goal.
  • nichi123
    Options

when did you lose 42 lbs? your ticker says 13.
    Yes, and I regained it two years later when I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. Now I have started again
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Yep
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    What am I supposed to do instead?

Make sure the goals you've set are reasonable and attainable, then go for it.

Completely agree! In fact when I was in a plateau earlier this year I was getting so frustrated and ready to try something crazy! I took a deep breath and had a talking with myself, decided to throw out the timetable and the worry about losing X many pounds, and instead simply commit to keep following the plan I agreed to here on MFP and stop worrying about number of pounds and calendar dates.

A better goal would be to commit to keeping an accurate food diary for 4 months, or to commit to working out regularly for the next 4 months and so on.

If you can stick to a modest calorie deficit you WILL lose weight, so why stress extra over when and how fast? Don't we all have enough stress already?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Yep

Agree. :ohwell:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    TL;DR version: No. No you’re not.

Unrealistic goals almost always do more harm than good.

Anyone who has not already been successful in something like this should not have any weight loss goal at all - they should spend the next two months logging and evaluating to see how their body works, and to see how strong their motivation and willpower actually is.

AFTER that, it's time to set a goal, based on those actual, measured results.

Process first - goals second.

IMO, etc.

Frankly speaking, if the goal is driven by an upcoming company or family xmas party, it's already to late. Forget the crash course, focus on establishing a healthy habit.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying. I also see people who have accomplished quick weight loss and managed to keep it off. I have known people who lost the weight and quickly gained it back. I have known MANY people who jump in all rah rah, with lofty goals and in a week they have abandoned the whole plan.

The point is, people are all different in their motivations, their dedication and commitment, their support system, their maturity levels, and their readiness to really make permanent lifestyle changes. No one can predict how someone else will do. You can share your experiences of failure as a warning to others, or successes as guidance and motivation, but that's about all you can do.

I started here a year ago with the goal to get to 155 by my 50th birthday. I turned 50 last week and still have 28 lbs to go.

Did I fail? Heck no! I am thrilled with the progress I have made, not just on the scale, but with my overall health.

Am I going to give up and gain the weight back? No way. I am not done yet. I will in many ways never be done, because when I do reach goal, I will still have to maintain the rest of my life.

If someone had told me a year ago, that it was impossible for me to lose 73 pounds in a year, and I would end up feeling like a failure and gain what weight I did lose,back again, I would probably have never committed to losing the weight in the first place.

Just like being a parent, I would really love for my kids to trust me on everything and learn from my mistakes, but that is not going to always happen. Maturity in all things, often requires failures and successes, and figuring out answers for ourselves.

So don't feel bad if the majority of the people you are directing this thread to, do not take your advice. That doesn't reflect poorly on them either. We all have different goals and different paths to get there. And we have to learn the lessons along the way.