Walking the dog

Options

Replies

• slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I live in Detroit, so it's smart to take some kind of weapon when you exercise here, even though I live in one of the nice neighborhoods. Lately I have been walking (running) my neighbor's Rottweiler for him. What a workout! Also, walking this dog definitely solves the safety/protection issue. No one will come within 20 feet of me, lol.

LOL! I LOVE this! I live in a neighborhood that's known as "meth heaven" in central California...yet oddly, I'm never bothered by any of the addicts or pimps when I walk my "boys"...one Airedale on each side. I also sleep soundly at night. God bless you for walking the Rottie!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's possible the person was just taking a 10 min walk during a work break to get in a little added exercise. I just did 10 min of calisthenics on my break and I logged it.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I walk hiking trails where there are stairs, I mean 120 steps down 130 back up, there are mini hills, steep hills,
    So there is a lot of downhill and climbs back up with some easy areas in between I do on average an hour to an hour and a half
    each day all the dogs my friends included. The trails are off leash and the dogs want to keep moving and I have to keep up.

Yesterday I did a 2 hour for the fun of it. that was 100 steps down 98 steps back up , another 110 steps down and 120 back up ,
    with non stopping walking in between.

it certainly Beats the bump and grind and constant the toxic thump of music found in a cardio class.
    It gets me outside regardless of the weather and the forest is tranquil.

When I am walking the small pack it makes me feel safe.
  • horrorstory
    horrorstory Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Why dont you just worry about yourself instead? Who cares what other people are using for a work out. Not everyone can hit the gym or throw in a DVD, for some people walking is the only thing they can do. And all the power to them for kicking *kitten* and going for a walk. Everyone is different, focus on yourself.

AND...
    You obviously dont know how bloody fast my dog is. I let him set the pace, and it is not slow.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    OP why do you care? mind your goals you will get there faster, really if people want to have setbacks let them.
  • wildheart_cowgirl
    Options
    I think what you forgot to look at is the fact that different dog breeds require different walk times, and different amounts of activity while on their walk. Some dogs such as the smaller breeds only require a 10 minute walk every other day, while other breed dogs such as a husky needs a three mile run daily.

Also, please keep in mind that in hot weather dogs can become dehydrated and even suffer a heat stroke so time to walk them in the morning is limited depending on the time of day a person gets up. In cold weather, dogs can get hypothermia and can even burn their pads of their paws by walking on ice.

You also have to factor in the age of the dog as well. Older dogs who are suffering from arthritic pains should only be given short walks; either around the block or to the end of block/street and back, depending on their condition.

Now, if some people have dogs but are lacking a yard space to turn their dog out in to go to the bathroom. These dogs will require more walks. These dogs need to be let out at least 2-4 more times more before the end of the day but again this is also based on the type of dog.

Yes, the average dog can easily walk a mile or two every day, although most owners do not have the time or energy for this. So, shorter walks on days when time is limited and longer walks on other days make up for the difference. Most dogs should be walked daily, if not at least five walks a week should do most dogs breeds just fine. Walking helps keep both the dog and its owner in healthy shape; mentally and physically.

So, if this individual wants to log ten minutes of walk time with her dog, let her. Maybe, her dog only requires ten minutes of walking time per day. Maybe, she was like me and could only walk that long to start with which I give her respect for that because I started off at five minutes and had to work my way up and currently I am at twenty-minutes of walking with my dogs and I log that as exercise. Instead of talking down on her maybe offering her suggestions on how to improve would have been the better approach to this situation.

In the end, I guess what it really boils down to is this “to each their own”.
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    1. What business is it of yours how they log...if they are doing it wrong it will affect their results, not yours.

2. If they walked the dog burning 30 calories 2x per day, that would add up to over 400 calories per week, obviously every little bit adds up.

3. I wish folks would use the forums for reasons other than only wanting to complain, your post offers nothing in the way of offering to help solve a problem, etc, its just to *****.

That is all.

:)
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you, but walking the dog is, indeed, exercise. If it bothers you to see it that much, unfriend her. But you need to understand that 10 minutes of walking a dog is 10 more minutes than a couch potato is doing.

Don't be so judgmental. It's not very becoming.

ETA: You've probably succeeded in completely embarassing her. Way to go. To the dog-walker: if you see this, friend me.
  • Darius66
    Darius66 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I log any dog walk over 10 minutes. I wear my HRM for most walks and know about how much I lose even without the HRM on. As long as you walk somewhat faster it is indeed worth logging.
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    have to rant!!! Walking the dog for 10 min. and "burning" 30 calories is NOT exercise!!!! I am so sick of seeing that and then the person "eats" their "workout" calories back. Then she wonders why she is not losing! Probably because you are eating above your macro goals.

For one studies show that 10 - 20 minute small walks daily are a benefit.
    For some older people and the very obese it is the best they can do.
    More intense workouts can cause fall plus ankle and joint injuries.

Given that most diets are calorie deficient {lets say 1200 to 1300 for women , more for men} eating a few calories back on after exercise is okay.
    Exercise does not correlate with weight loss, the type of exercise needed to burn off 100 pounds of weight would be so energy intensive would take hours and one would have to up one's calorie intake to survive them.

Then there is the Minnesota starvation experiment found on the wiki Food for thought:
    approximately 3,200 calories of food each day. The diet of the subjects who were close to their “ideal” weight was adjusted so as to maintain caloric balance, while the diets of the underweight and overweight individuals was adjusted so as to bring them close to their ideal weight. On average, the group ended up slightly below their “ideal” weight.[2]:74 In addition, the clinical staff of the Laboratory of Physiological Hygiene routinely conducted a series of anthropometric, physiological and psychological tests designed to characterize the physical and mental health of each participant under normal conditions.

2.Semi-Starvation Period (24 weeks):

During the 6-month semi-starvation period, each subject’s dietary intake was cut to approximately 1,560 calories per day. Their meals were composed of foods that were expected to typify the diets of people in Europe during the latter stages of the war: potatoes, rutabagas, turnips, bread and macaroni.
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Walking is a wonderful exercise...now judging others...meh...not so much. :wink:
    I'd just try worrying about myself~ worrying about what other people are doing all the time is just going to drive you crazy.
  • This went well for the OP! (Deservedly)
  • MultiGoddess
    MultiGoddess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Okay first of, who designated you the exercise police? Secondly, for someone that is chronically ill, has joint problems, is recovering from surgery, or who is unable to go out and do all these fancy exercise programs, that may be ALL they can do! How about being supportive! I can't go out and do these Zumba classes and so on, but I clean the house, I do my steps, I use my FitBit to count these things and *gasp* I've lost weight!

I live with several chronic illnesses that limit my activity level, and I push through the pain on an almost daily basis. I am damn proud when I get up off the couch and take one of the dogs to the corner, clean the house, chase after little ones at parties, go grocery shopping and so on.

If you think that I'm pathetic because I don't go out and run a marathon, attend all these fancy classes, I invite you to look at my weight loss. I have lost 95 pounds in 2 years! While going to school full time. Going to doctors appointments multiple times a week. Being hospitalized for countless infections, surgeries, and procedures. While having diabetes, hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia, lupus, heart conditions, chronic pain, arthtitis. So you know what, that ten minutes DOES count. And if anyone wants a GOOD SUPPORTIVE friend, add me or my mom Glndgd63!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have to rant!!! Walking the dog for 10 min. and "burning" 30 calories is NOT exercise!!!! I am so sick of seeing that and then the person "eats" their "workout" calories back. Then she wonders why she is not losing! Probably because you are eating above your macro goals.

Eating doesn't make you gain but eating above calories "burned" does!!! DUH

OK-I'm done. :drinker:

Depends on the lifestyle you set. I spend all of my day sat in a car or in front of a computer so set as sedentary. Walking the dog is a lifestyle change that I made and yes I do have a dog. I use a HRM to track my calories and while it shows that they are far lower than MFP states I do eat many of them back. Ok I haven't lost a huge amount but am 10.8 lbs down in 3 weeks so something must be working.

Also bear in mind a lot of entries are not from people walking dogs but people using it to gauge the speed that they were walking at.

If I maintain this "walking the dog" then eventually I will reset my lifestyle and not log the calories
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Anything that isn't sitting down is exercise. Google NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis ) if you don't believe me.

I am personally getting sick of this judgemental BS.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have to rant!!! Walking the dog for 10 min. and "burning" 30 calories is NOT exercise!!!! I am so sick of seeing that and then the person "eats" their "workout" calories back. Then she wonders why she is not losing! Probably because you are eating above your macro goals.

Jesus wept.... If you're so sick of seeing something then delete that person as a friend and you don't have to see it anymore. Simples.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Research shows that people who have a good relationship with their dogs tend to have a better relationship with everyone in their lives and tend to have lower body fat overall than those who have no dogs in their life.

Based upon this I suggest the OP 1 - get a dog, or if they already have a dog 2 - improve their relationship with their dog.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

:indifferent:
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    I will be leaving soon to walk the dogs . I will enjoy that fresh air, the fresh forest smells, the quiet, the relaxed feeling I get taking in nature and the total enjoyment that comes from walking the dogs.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Mireygal76 burned 2 calories doing 10 minutes of cardio including "Brushing her hair"

Don't judge.

It's better than the days where I burn 5 calories doing 60 minutes of "dragging my *kitten* out of bed"
This discussion has been closed.