eating back calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Healthytobex2
    Options
    I am really confused I started eating back my exercise calories and ended up not losing any weight one week so i am very confused
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am really confused I started eating back my exercise calories and ended up not losing any weight one week so i am very confused

MFP calculates your calorie needs not including exercise. Just what you need for your normal job/daily life. Make sure you choose the correct activity level (most people are not truly sedentary)

You need to choose the appropriate "I want to lose x amount per week", 2 pounds is not appropriate for everyone, only those who have a lot of weight to lose (75 pounds or more).

Are you logging, weighing/measuring everything you eat?
    Are your exercise burns over-estimated? Are you logging things like cleaning, stuff that ordinarily should be included in normal daily life, already accounted for?

There really are too many variables to say what the problem might be, but generally you should give it about 4 weeks to see any changes. Assuming all your settings/logging is correct.
  • Healthytobex2
    Options
    Hello,

Thank you for replying I have changed my activity to sedentary but previously I had it on something a bit higher cus I work in a daycare and am always on the go. I don't count cleaning as I know that's of my daily routine I only log exercise calories back in which I exercise six days a week and follow what my elliptical says on it. I make my rest day an active rest day and usually go swimming. I weigh all my food but do eat similar things and try to drink as much water as possible.

Thank you
  • ggrinsell
    Options
    I am currently trying to lose about 40 pounds
    I have lost 10 so far but I have a question
    I eat about 1200 calories a day
    I eat about 150 grams of protein, 50-75 carbs ( depending if im training) and about 20 grams of fat- its a version of the 40/40/20 diet that my trainer changed
    So I eat 1200 calories and I work out about 5-6 days a week, 2 with my trainer. When Im with my trainer its an hour of abs legs arms weights and an hour of cardio. When its just me its an hour of cardio, abs, and some weights but not as much as w my trainer.
    So I log it all in and lets say I burn 600 calories, which is about average for an hour on the eliptical. I drink whey with water right after a workout but thats only about 100 calories. So I continually have a deficit of 500 calories every single day. I have an office job so I dont move around a ton. MY question is do I need to eat more??? I dont want my body in " starvation mode" but honestly im not that hungry. I work out after work so its always at night time and I take walks w my dog in the afternoon sometimes.
    Anyone have any advice?? I really appreciate it!!!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I eat about 150 grams of protein, 50-75 carbs ( depending if im training) and about 20 grams of fat- its a version of the 40/40/20 diet that my trainer changed
    So I eat 1200 calories and I work out about 5-6 days a week, 2 with my trainer. When Im with my trainer its an hour of abs legs arms weights and an hour of cardio. When its just me its an hour of cardio, abs, and some weights but not as much as w my trainer.
    So I log it all in and lets say I burn 600 calories, which is about average for an hour on the eliptical. I drink whey with water right after a workout but thats only about 100 calories. So I continually have a deficit of 500 calories every single day. I have an office job so I dont move around a ton. MY question is do I need to eat more??? I dont want my body in " starvation mode" but honestly im not that hungry. I work out after work so its always at night time and I take walks w my dog in the afternoon sometimes.
    I used to wonder that too. The best explanation I have ever found on here is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf?hl=Exercise+calories+again+
    Hope it helps.:flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    St
    If you're doing that, you have way more than a 500 calorie deficit. your 1200 calorie goal has about 800-1000 calorie deficit from maintenance for a SEDENTARY individual. The average female who doe minimal exercise can maintain around 2000 calories. You are supposed to NET to your calorie GOAL...that, again, already has a HUGE deficit built in. Starvation mode is pretty much bull****...but, your hair will start falling out and you'll start having all kinds of other malnourishment issues should you continue down the path of craziness.

Once again...1200 calories isn't maintenance...you don't need a 500 calorie deficit from that number to lose weight...MFP is realy, really, really, really, super, super, super duper easy...i does all of the math for you when you set your profile up. You say I want to lose 1 or 2 lbs per week or whatever...it gives you a calorie GOAL based on you wanting to lose that much weight. It baffles me how many people actually do not comprehend that and think 1200 measly little calories is actually their maintenance level of calories...just insane.
  • ggrinsell
    Options
    thank you ! I work out quite a bit its just my job isnt active at all. ive lost 10 pounds I just wanna lose some more I hope soon!