Struggling to eat my calories!

Options
Hi all

I'm after a bit of advice. I started with MFP 15 days ago. In that time I have lost 12lbs. I'm totally surprised by this, whilst being extremely happy! The problem that I have is that I'm struggling to eat my daily calories.

Take today for an example...

My goal is 1350 calories. I have eaten 1267 calories, and have also gained 1115 calories through exercise. Therefore my net calorie intake is only 152, and I have 1198 remaining! I do not feel at all hungry.

Is this calorie intake detrimental to my (sustained) weight loss?

Any advice would be very gratefully received :)

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so we can't see what you're eating...but you may need to start eating more calorie-dense foods.

1,115 calories in one day of exercise sounds incredibly high (but awesome if it is true!) how are you tracking that?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    This is very normal at the start of a diet/program/eating change. People want to not feel hungry, and want to do well on the diet, and there are some minor hormonal changes, etc. But you do want to eat to target and be consistent, or you'll run into a variety of common problems (see other threads with the same title in search function).

What you're trying to do here is make a sustainable change. Eating a healthy amount is a big part of that.
  • kosymodo
    Options
    Is it OK though that what I'm eating is filling me up, but not reaching my calorie goal for the day? I feel totally content, both with the food I'm eating and the way I'm feeling. I have no lethargy etc.

My exercise is mainly at the gym on a cross trainer (elliptical trainer). I have a Heart Rate Monitor which tells me I should have lost 1009 calories during my hour's work-out. However, MFP says it's actually 816 calories, and I'm happy to accept MFP's lower figure. The remainder of today's exercise was comprised of walking to/from work, and 30 minutes walk at lunchtime. This gave me 60 minutes total walking time today, which MFP says burnt 299 calories.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    An adult male should be consuming a minimum of 1800 calories a day without the exercise and you must be burning up that elliptical to get that kind of reading. I'd suggest you up your basic calories to start with. I know you're still in the honeymoon phase when it's all great and you can live on next to nothing but it will catch up with you and generally bite you in the *kitten* over the long run. You don't need to eat "diet" foods to lose weight. Get your calories and nutrition from full fat dairy, eggs, oils, nuts, lean meats, avocado, peanut butter. Eating fat doesn't make you fat but under eating will make you sick.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Is it OK though that what I'm eating is filling me up, but not reaching my calorie goal for the day? I feel totally content, both with the food I'm eating and the way I'm feeling. I have no lethargy etc.

My exercise is mainly at the gym on a cross trainer (elliptical trainer). I have a Heart Rate Monitor which tells me I should have lost 1009 calories during my hour's work-out. However, MFP says it's actually 816 calories, and I'm happy to accept MFP's lower figure. The remainder of today's exercise was comprised of walking to/from work, and 30 minutes walk at lunchtime. This gave me 60 minutes total walking time today, which MFP says burnt 299 calories.

Unless the walking is not part of your normal routine I would not count that. Just have your settings the one up from sedentary. As for what you are eating filling you up, but not reaching your calories - that is normal for a little while. If it continues very long though you are going to want to look at what you eat. An easy way to get more calories is to look at the nutrient density of your food and watch your macros. Eating high volume, low calorie, low nutrient foods can be counter productive in terms of getting enough protein and other nutrients.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    What kind of HRM do you use? Does it have a chest strap? Otherwise they are horribly inaccurate. And MFP estimates are usually too high, at least for the cross trainer I believe, so I'd count 500 calories if that.

But still, you got to eat more. It's not a big deal when you have more to lose, but eventually you'll get hungry and will have to eat more.
  • veg_jen
    veg_jen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A few points:

Saying how many calories he should be burning minimum as an adult male isn't accurate. Age, current weight and daily activity level affect that number. A man who is 75 years old, weighs 150 lbs and sits around all day has a very different daily calorie needs than a 20 something male that weighs 200 lbs and does landscaping for a living.

My experience is that calorie estimations can be way off on machines. My guess is that you are overestimating what you've burned.

For example, I'm a runner and former triathlete. Several years ago I had some testing done and it was determined I burn 80 calories/mile while running. Typically you hear people say to count 100/calories a mile. MFP uses minutes on running which does me no good. With the MFP math, they usually credit me 100 calories more than I know I burn for each run. I have to enter my numbers manually.

You probably aren't running as much of a deficit as you think you are.

As far as having a large deficit, be careful. It will creep up on you. Over time you will become rundown without adequate nutrition. Start by adding in one snack, 200 - 300 calories, to get used to eating more. I was having the same problem I worked with a nutritionist to figure out target calories and found I was well below what I should be eating. Took me a while to get my daily calories up to 1600 then compensate for an 8 mile run.

Frankly I was thrilled that I got permission to eat more! I've fallen off the wagon for about 10 days but when I was following the rules I was dropping weight and losing body fat without trying very hard.
  • kosymodo
    Options
    Right, it's a Polar HRM and yes it has a chest strap. There's another forum post on here somewhere which specifically deals with calories lost during elliptical exercise. It suggests HRMs overestimate, whilst the machines themselves underestimate. Therefore it seemed logical to use the MFP middle ground.

I'm not sure what you guys can/can't see, but I'm 35 and currently weigh 200lbs. I have a desk job, and therefore my only exercise is my walking to/from work, my lunchtime walk, and my gym work.

I guess I'm ok not to worry too much then in these early days if I'm not taking in the 'right' number of calories, as it seems it'll settle down (I'll start wanting to eat more) in a few weeks...right?

This losing weight stuff is a right minefield! :)
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I'm after a bit of advice. I started with MFP 15 days ago. In that time I have lost 12lbs. I'm totally surprised by this, whilst being extremely happy! The problem that I have is that I'm struggling to eat my daily calories.

My goal is 1350 calories. I have eaten 1267 calories, and have also gained 1115 calories through exercise. Therefore my net calorie intake is only 152, and I have 1198 remaining! I do not feel at all hungry.

Wait, wait, wait. Netting ~200 calories for the day is not good, healthy or sustainable. I'm not one to say you have to eat back ALL of your exercise calories, but it's usually good to eat back 1/2 to 2/3rds of them.

If you aren't hungry there are easy ways to get calories into your system. Things like peanut butter, avocado, cooking with Olive Oil, etc. Those are all calorie dense foods that don't make you feel like you're stuffing yourself. If you are currently eating fat free or reduced fat items, switch to full fat.

I'm willing to bet after several days of this your hunger WILL go up, and it'll be easier to hit that goal.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Wait, wait, wait. Netting ~200 calories for the day is not good, healthy or sustainable. I'm not one to say you have to eat back ALL of your exercise calories, but it's usually good to eat back 1/2 to 2/3rds of them.

If you aren't hungry there are easy ways to get calories into your system. Things like peanut butter, avocado, cooking with Olive Oil, etc. Those are all calorie dense foods that don't make you feel like you're stuffing yourself. If you are currently eating fat free or reduced fat items, switch to full fat.

I'm willing to bet after several days of this your hunger WILL go up, and it'll be easier to hit that goal.

This.

For the most part you have been undereating for awhile at your current calorie goal level. This has likely caused your appetite to be abnormally low.

If you are having trouble eating the actual mass of the food, then switch a few things up and eat more calorie dense foods.
  • veg_jen
    Options
    If I were you, this is what I would do. I'd track how many miles I'm covering on the elliptical and use that. 30 minutes being lazy is not the same as 30 minutes hard. You cover more mileage at 30 minutes hard.

I think for someone your age and weight, using 100 calories/mile isn't unreasonable. You would rather underestimate than overestimate.

My nutritionist used my BMR, which we figured is ~1300 and sounds right based on testing from a couple years ago, and added 300 for daily life. That makes my base 1600.

The best way to estimate without getting a test, is this calculator: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ for your BMR

Then do the Harris Benedict equation: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/ for your daily calorie goal. Use the sedentary equation since what you really want to know is what you should eat on days you aren't training.

There is a bit of an art to it as well which is what I find so frustrating. Timing and nutrient make-up will also affect weight loss.
  • veg_jen
    Options
    Isn't eating now snacking?
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Agree that TDEE - appropriate percentage is a good method, if you don't want the hassle of logging exercise.

And... I know it's counter-intuitive - but the key to losing weight is to keep exercising while taking on PLENTY of calories.

Good luck! x