101 Calorie Brownie that REALLY Delivers!

Options
EvilShenanigansTX
EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
I recently made a recipe for a 100 calorie brownie that was terrible. It was like rubber, but half as tasty. I decided I could do better. I wanted a 100 calorie brownie that tastes like a brownie, not chocolate bicycle tires! What I ended up with is 101 detectible, moist, rich, fudgy no-one-will-believe-they-are-100-calorie brownies that really satisfy.

I like my brownies fairly sweet, so feel free to reduce the granulated sugar by a few teaspoons, but DO NOT reduce the golden syrup (or honey). It helps keep these beauties VERY moist and rich. It is the magic in this recipe. Honey and golden syrup are hygroscopic sugars, meaning they absorb moisture from the atmosphere. Lower calorie baked goods can get dry, so a little honey or golden syrup help keep the moisture balanced.

d713051cc1b711e29cc822000a1f96e3_7.jpg

101 Calorie Brownies Serves 9

60 Guittard Extra Dark Chips
2 tablespoons Kerrygold Butter
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup evaporated cane juice sugar (or regular sugar)
2 tablespoons golden syrup or honey
1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar blend
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8x8-inch square pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In a microwave safe bowl combine the butter and chocolate chips. Heat for 30 seconds then stir. If the mixture is not smooth heat for 10 intervals, stirring in between each, until melted and smooth. Cool for 5 minutes.

In a small bowl combine the melted chocolate, egg, sugar, golden syrup, and brown sugar Splenda. Mix well.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with a spatula until smooth. Do not over-mix. (If you wanted to add some nuts, chocolate chips, dry fruit, or other addition now would be the time)

Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 11 to 15 minutes, or until the brownies are your desired level of doneness. 11 minutes yields a very gooey brownie, 15 yields a firm brownie that is chewy around the edges. Do not exceed 15 minutes or they will become hard and dry. Cool for 30 minutes in the pan before slicing and serving.

Replies