Endmondo Kind of Sucks

Options
I had all kinds of problems with Endomondo not tracking or shutting off, and so I upgraded to Pro hoping for a better experience. It does the same thing: stops tracking even though GPS says it's connected, starts tracking and then stops, doesn't show the map at all even though it says it tracked, etc.

When I contacted support, I got a "we don't really offer support" email. I had already done all the troubleshooting suggestions and continued to have the app virtually never work as designed.

When I contacted the Endomondo "store" email asking for a refund, they said, ha, joke's on you, no refunds (my paraphrase).

So not only does the app not work, but they stole $5 from me.

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You sure it doesn't have something to do with your phone and not the app?? I have used Endomondo Pro now for the last 3 years with a 3G Droid and now with my 4G S4 and have never had any issues at all..... I use it ALOT...... Best of Luck.....
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What kind of phone are you using? It used to suck and freeze on my Blackberry, but works fine on my iPhone. However, I chose to use RunKeeper app as it sucks less battery compared to Endomondo.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've had no issues with it and I agree with the above. Are you positive it isn't a connectivity issue?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What kind of phone?
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Likewise - I used pro on my droid incredible for years and it still works great on my galaxy note 2. I would try uninstalling and downloading the app - but I assume you've already done that. =(
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    What kind of phone are you using? It used to suck and freeze on my Blackberry, but works fine on my iPhone. However, I chose to use RunKeeper app as it sucks less battery compared to Endomondo.

RunKeeper is a nice looking app, but when using my hrm RunKeeper calculates my calorie burn far less than my FT7. I also used MapMyRun at the same time and MapMyRun was very close calorie wise to my FT7.

So yes, MapMyRun has my vote. I actually use MapMyRide more. They're both great.

If only you could sync them to MFP
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm Android also, the T679. I've used mapmyrun, and it works great, but it doesn't sync with MFP. I've read the boards and tried the fixes, so I'm not sure why it's a dud for me.

I guess I'm just bitter because I think it's such poor customer service to not offer any refund when I'd be happy to keep it if it just worked for me.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I run Endomondo Pro on an iPhone 5. I also had it on my old 4S. I can't say that I have ever had any issue with it shutting down. Today I was hiking in an area that had absolutely no cellular or digital signal, but the GPS on Endo was perfect the whole way.

It does suck that they aren't more helpful though.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Endmondo works with wifi hotspots so if you are out of range then it does not track. This is why when searching for the perfect for me HRM Watch that I could afford I went with a Garmin with GPS. Hiking in the woods can now be tracked with maps.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Endmondo works with wifi hotspots so if you are out of range then it does not track. This is why when searching for the perfect for me HRM Watch that I could afford I went with a Garmin with GPS. Hiking in the woods can now be tracked with maps.

Endomondo works with GPS if your device has GPS built in. Virtually all smart phones made in the past few years do.
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    what type of activity ar you tracking?? I find when running it works fine. no issues!!

but when tracking my walking, it constantly "auto pause" auto pause" so annoying.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Blasphemer!

I love Endomondo Pro. The DIY interval timer tool is the best.

I have no problems with it on my Nexus 10 or S4.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I double track on endomondo and runkeeper for a comparison and never had problems, not on my iphone 3gs, not on my iphone 4 and not on my now, sony xperia z... try deleting an reinstalling... and check device compatibility. surprised that they wrote that stuff to you though.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

Nope. I was hiking Spruce Mountain today. No service (cellular or digital) whatsoever on my Verizon phone, but Endo worked perfectly. I've used it on the top of Pike's Peak as well.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Endomondo Pro user here, on iPhone 5s.

Have never had a single problem apart from one 5 min outage when a cellular network was down. Interface between iPhone and web is fine, and it measures calories accurately.

I am perfectly satisfied and won't budge from it until I find something far superior.
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've used Endomondo on my former Droid X and now an iPhone 5. I *did* have problems with my Droid X, but it was a GPS bug that was common to that phone. I got an app that fixed that. No problems at all on my iPhone 5. I usually bike ride, not walk or run.

My biggest problem with Endo is that it totally sucks at elevations. To fix that, I export my workouts to .gpx format and import it to ridewithgps.com - that program fixes it. The other thing that sucks occasionally is the autopause feature. For some reason, it often doesn't pause until I've just started up again, which skews my average speed. Again, ridewithgps.com fixes it.

BTW, anyone who wants to add me on Endo, please send a friend request.
    http://www.endomondo.com/profile/2364848

Cheers,

Tracy
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I'm sorry, but if it was crappy, what made you think that it would be less crappy after you paid for it? It's the same service, just different features with the pro version.

And, yes, it does suck. I started the app one day while I was getting ready for my run and it started counting calories. I always knew that it showed double calories than my other apps did, and then I realized why. Not very accurate at all for me.

ETA:
    I just burned 6 calories walking 0.00000 miles in 2 minutes while my phone was just sitting on my bed.
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yes, I noticed that Runkeeper shows much less calories burned. Also, despite whatever pace you walk with Runkeeper, on MFP it always shows as 'Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog'. Endomondo has a better sync and compatibility with MFP.

However, compared to Endomondo it uses less battery on my iPhone5.

Btw, on iOS7, the updated Runkeeper app looks fabulous.Check it out.
  • NurseWizzle
    NurseWizzle Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Of course you burned calories walking 0 miles. Your body is using energy even just sitting there breathing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've not had any problems with Endomondo on either iPhone or Android; Galaxy S4.