Hi! (hypothyroid & PCOS)

Options
I've been here a long time, but I feel like I'm new. :)
So, I'm re-introducing myself.
I religiously dieted for over 2 years.
Even when I would "over eat" I didn't eat enough to warrant being as heavy as I am. (up to 250lbs!)
After many different doctors and tests over the past 10 years, I finally found doctors that
actually listened and tested me.
I was officially diagnosed with hypothyroidism & PCOS this week.
My Dr said she's very excited to see what I look like in 2 months,
when I come in to adjust my meds.

Replies

• hoopsterdad
    hoopsterdad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can empathize with you. I got diagnosed with hyperthyroid when I was in university and after treatment, I ended up being hypothyroid. I've been on meds ever since. Sort of sucks but it really is even more of a reason to make sure I eat right and exercise. If not, I start to put some weight back on.
    Glad you found some doctors to listen to you. I'm sure they'll get you on the right dosage in short order and you'll really see results quickly.
    All the best.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thank you. :)
  • SusieQ103
    Options
    my endocrinologist doesn't listen to me! What steps did you take to find a dr who will listen?
    What are you doing to lose?
  • smann1115
    smann1115 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have the exact same health diagnosis. Feel free to add me!
  • StarPanic85
    StarPanic85 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism since I was little but just barely started meds in July. Got tested again last week and my levels are perfect now my doc said. Before meds I was never able to loose weight. I have dropped 24lbs since I started on them and feel so much better. I cried when I saw the scale go down. You can add me:)
  • redbev306
    Options
    I was "borderline" hypothyridic for many years.... but my thyroid was "not underactive enough to treat" according to several doctors. I have struggled with depression as well.... which also can be linked to hypothoroidism... & more recently labs revealed high cholesterol (also a possible side effect of hypothyroidism). Now I'm not saying that I was eating perfect... or working out as much as I should have, I DEFINITELY wasn't. I made choices & I take responsibility for that. But..... Hypothyroidism was definitely a contributing factor to the big picture. It contributed to the way I was feeling & made me feel too tired to get through my day... let alone worry about exercise & cooking healthy meals. 3 months ago my doctor decided to try treating me with a very low dose of synthroid (levothyroxine).... which has made ALL the difference! I feel so much better, have energy, feel happy & like myself again. It is sad that I went for so long without anyone listening... but I am so happy someone finally did. I am glad you finally got help too... & hope everyone is able to advocate for themselves well enough to be taken seriously too!
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    my endocrinologist doesn't listen to me! What steps did you take to find a dr who will listen?

I've had health problems since I was 16. It started with lethargy and got worse over 10years.
    Every single doctor I had been to had me get general labs drawn (whatever that means)
    an insisted I had ADD, depression, or anxiety, or some sort of combination.
    I finally started an initial visit with each new doctor, giving them a long speech of crap I've been through,
    the meds I had been put on, and finishing by insisting I did not have depression or anxiety, and begging them
    to find what was wrong with me.
    I had a Dr tell me I had a form of narcolepsy (LMAO), and another sent me to a neurologist.
    After my second baby I tried telling my obgyn I thought I had a hormonal imbalance. She was a smart *ss
    and told me there was no way, because I had just had a baby months before.
    I wound up in the hospital 4months later bleeding to death. According to the ER Dr (surprise!) it was due to
    a hormonal imbalance.
    it's 2 years later, and I finally had it in me to try a new Dr, (and needed to for migraines)
    He was amazing! He listened to everything I had to say, and sent me to a new gyno.
    My new gyno immediately new I had PCOS since I have every single marker for it, and sent me to get all
    my hormone levels tested.
    I started my meds 2 days ago.
    I'm taking yaz for the PCOS, and Levothyroxine for my thyroid.
    I will go in in 2 months to retest and up my meds.

I eat a mostly whole foods, organic diet.
    I eat a minimal amount of meat (once every few days), and try to make sure at least half of what I've eaten through out the day is fresh produce.
    I buy sprouted grain breads, and organic gluten free pastas.
    I try to eat 1200-1400 calories a day, and make sure to not go over 1800 calories.
    My biggest problem is not having energy to cook and ordering in.
    Even though I watch the calories, the carbs are bad because of my PCOS and ho straight to my belly. :\

As far as advice for a doctor... Keep trying. If they don't listen try new ones.
    I think the reason I was finally successfull is because I had a new doctor (meaning he was young &new to being a Dr)
    and he was excited about making a difference in his patients.
    GL
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Hi! I have the exact same health diagnosis. Feel free to add me!

Definitely!
    What meds or supplements are you taking?
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Hi

Great to see the positivity - hypothyroid conditions are manageable. I don't know much about PCOS but I've been hypothyroid for 18 years - but only diagnosed for 6 of those - and the difference in my life between medicated and unmedicated is crazy. I sometimes feel like I could be a posterchild for hypothyroid NOT ruling your life now - when in the past it did dictate a lot because it wasn't diagnosed and managed. I've met people who see a diagnosis of hypo as an awful thing - I saw it as being set free and able to live my life in a better, healthier way.

Good luck on your journey! It won't happen overnight but if your meds are right and your lifestyle is healthy you can achieve this :)
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism since I was little but just barely started meds in July. Got tested again last week and my levels are perfect now my doc said. Before meds I was never able to loose weight. I have dropped 24lbs since I started on them and feel so much better. I cried when I saw the scale go down. You can add me:)

I told the doctor about how I just could not understand how I got so big and why it won't come off.
    My mom would tell me she thought I was in denial about what I was eating and would insinuate I was a "closet eater".
    I was starting to think maybe she was right.
    My dr looked at my results and smiled back at me, and said "This is why. Your levels are extremely high."
    I started to tear up.. :')
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

It took them 12 years to diagnose me. IN the end I gave my GP a choice - endo referral or sickness benefit. He saw then that I'd reached the end of what I could cope with. Turned out that my TSH was through the roof and ever since then I've been able to dictate med levels, changes etc.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    I was "borderline" hypothyridic for many years.... but my thyroid was "not underactive enough to treat" according to several doctors. I have struggled with depression as well.... which also can be linked to hypothoroidism... & more recently labs revealed high cholesterol (also a possible side effect of hypothyroidism). Now I'm not saying that I was eating perfect... or working out as much as I should have, I DEFINITELY wasn't. I made choices & I take responsibility for that. But..... Hypothyroidism was definitely a contributing factor to the big picture. It contributed to the way I was feeling & made me feel too tired to get through my day... let alone worry about exercise & cooking healthy meals. 3 months ago my doctor decided to try treating me with a very low dose of synthroid (levothyroxine).... which has made ALL the difference! I feel so much better, have energy, feel happy & like myself again. It is sad that I went for so long without anyone listening... but I am so happy someone finally did. I am glad you finally got help too... & hope everyone is able to advocate for themselves well enough to be taken seriously too!

Congratulations! :)
    And I agree with you. People need to not take NO for an answer.
  • countessboobala1
    Options
    hi i am hypothyroid..i found out last year and have been on levothyroxine since i found out it has made a hugh difference..i've lost about 30 pounds but i've had to work hard at it.it's not easy thats for sure.it's still a struggle hang in there.i went for years not knowing and just thought i was depressed and tired from work.eventually i got a new doctor and he did test.after probably having it most of my life.you will lose the weight don't give up or get discouraged.i try to walk everyday at least 30 minutes and log in my food so i can watch what i'm eating.i gave up soda that was a big thing.switching to unsweetned tea with lemon.but never totally deprive yourself completely.it's good to give yourself a goal and reward now and then.feel free to add me.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Hi

Great to see the positivity - hypothyroid conditions are manageable. I don't know much about PCOS but I've been hypothyroid for 18 years - but only diagnosed for 6 of those - and the difference in my life between medicated and unmedicated is crazy. I sometimes feel like I could be a posterchild for hypothyroid NOT ruling your life now - when in the past it did dictate a lot because it wasn't diagnosed and managed. I've met people who see a diagnosis of hypo as an awful thing - I saw it as being set free and able to live my life in a better, healthier way.

Good luck on your journey! It won't happen overnight but if your meds are right and your lifestyle is healthy you can achieve this :)

Thanks.
    I've had these issues for over 10years.
    It was so frustrating feeling like there was something wrong with me,
    and no way to fix it.
    The lethargy is so bad I feel like I've been stuck in a dream world.
    At 18 I did go through a depression because I felt like I wasn't alive.
    There were times I wondered if I was possibly going insane.
    The only thing that's made me push through was the fact that I have people that rely on me.
    My Dr started me on a lower dose, and said we're going to work the meds up slowly.
    I now know why. I already notice a difference.
    Even walking and feeling the texture of the tiles with each step I took was amazing to me.
    If everything was normal all at once I think it would be to overwhelming for me.
    But yes, I feel like I've just started to be set free. :)
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am here to support and encourage all of you. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism over 13 years ago and diagnosed with PCOS over 7 years ago. Everyone told me I would never be able to lose weight and be normal. I am excited to share that it can be done it will take a little extra work but can happen. My dietician share's my story with her patients and I also lead the Challenge for life group at my church. I have been on my journey for almost a year now. September 13, 2012 I made a comittment to myself and family that I was going to lose 100 lbs in 1 year and I am almost there just a few ounces to go. When I went in for my annual exam last year it dropped me to my knees, I lost my Mom at a very young age and when I saw those numbers I made up my mind right then and there that I did not want my children to go through what I have gone through.

I can tell you it takes some serious commitment, there will be good days and bad days. Days when you feel like giving up, DO NOT! I highly suggest that you take your measurements now and do that 1-2 monthly. The scale is NOT your best friend. Do not become to attached to a scale they are nice and all but can really through you into an emotional tail spin. You will have plateaus, those two will pass and there are various ways to work through them. But as you are going through your journey keep in mind that your body needs to catch up as you are going along too. That is why I strongly suggest taking measurements, because there will be times when the scale will not budge but you will notice the changes in the numbers of your measurements. As you work out and become more active you will also start to build muscle.

I would be happy to encourage and support you along your journey. But one thing I will say is this is NOT a diet, this is a lifestyle change. So keep in mind that once you reach your goal that does not mean you can go back to the way it used to be. You need to continue on with the clean eating and living. You will succeed!!
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

I've had health problems since I was 16. It started with lethargy and got worse over 10years.
    Every single doctor I had been to had me get general labs drawn (whatever that means)
    an insisted I had ADD, depression, or anxiety, or some sort of combination.
    I finally started an initial visit with each new doctor, giving them a long speech of crap I've been through,
    the meds I had been put on, and finishing by insisting I did not have depression or anxiety, and begging them
    to find what was wrong with me.
    I had a Dr tell me I had a form of narcolepsy (LMAO), and another sent me to a neurologist.
    After my second baby I tried telling my obgyn I thought I had a hormonal imbalance. She was a smart *ss
    and told me there was no way, because I had just had a baby months before.
    I wound up in the hospital 4months later bleeding to death. According to the ER Dr (surprise!) it was due to
    a hormonal imbalance.
    it's 2 years later, and I finally had it in me to try a new Dr, (and needed to for migraines)
    He was amazing! He listened to everything I had to say, and sent me to a new gyno.
    My new gyno immediately new I had PCOS since I have every single marker for it, and sent me to get all
    my hormone levels tested.
    I started my meds 2 days ago.
    I'm taking yaz for the PCOS, and Levothyroxine for my thyroid.
    I will go in in 2 months to retest and up my meds.

I eat a mostly whole foods, organic diet.
    I eat a minimal amount of meat (once every few days), and try to make sure at least half of what I've eaten through out the day is fresh produce.
    I buy sprouted grain breads, and organic gluten free pastas.
    I try to eat 1200-1400 calories a day, and make sure to not go over 1800 calories.
    My biggest problem is not having energy to cook and ordering in.
    Even though I watch the calories, the carbs are bad because of my PCOS and ho straight to my belly. :\

As far as advice for a doctor... Keep trying. If they don't listen try new ones.
    I think the reason I was finally successfull is because I had a new doctor (meaning he was young &new to being a Dr)
    and he was excited about making a difference in his patients.
    GL

Haven't read all the way down, but as someone that was diagnosed with "anxiety and depression" before being diagnosed with PCOS.... I found your story interesting. I wonder how much PCOS plays a role in those things. I've noticed reduced anxiety and depression just through treating PCOS with diet and exercise.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    hi i am hypothyroid..i found out last year and have been on levothyroxine since i found out it has made a hugh difference..i've lost about 30 pounds but i've had to work hard at it.it's not easy thats for sure.it's still a struggle hang in there.i went for years not knowing and just thought i was depressed and tired from work.eventually i got a new doctor and he did test.after probably having it most of my life.you will lose the weight don't give up or get discouraged.i try to walk everyday at least 30 minutes and log in my food so i can watch what i'm eating.i gave up soda that was a big thing.switching to unsweetned tea with lemon.but never totally deprive yourself completely.it's good to give yourself a goal and reward now and then.feel free to add me.

added :)
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    Hello, I am here to support and encourage all of you. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism over 13 years ago and diagnosed with PCOS over 7 years ago. Everyone told me I would never be able to lose weight and be normal. I am excited to share that it can be done it will take a little extra work but can happen. My dietician share's my story with her patients and I also lead the Challenge for life group at my church. I have been on my journey for almost a year now. September 13, 2012 I made a comittment to myself and family that I was going to lose 100 lbs in 1 year and I am almost there just a few ounces to go. When I went in for my annual exam last year it dropped me to my knees, I lost my Mom at a very young age and when I saw those numbers I made up my mind right then and there that I did not want my children to go through what I have gone through.

I can tell you it takes some serious commitment, there will be good days and bad days. Days when you feel like giving up, DO NOT! I highly suggest that you take your measurements now and do that 1-2 monthly. The scale is NOT your best friend. Do not become to attached to a scale they are nice and all but can really through you into an emotional tail spin. You will have plateaus, those two will pass and there are various ways to work through them. But as you are going through your journey keep in mind that your body needs to catch up as you are going along too. That is why I strongly suggest taking measurements, because there will be times when the scale will not budge but you will notice the changes in the numbers of your measurements. As you work out and become more active you will also start to build muscle.

I would be happy to encourage and support you along your journey. But one thing I will say is this is NOT a diet, this is a lifestyle change. So keep in mind that once you reach your goal that does not mean you can go back to the way it used to be. You need to continue on with the clean eating and living. You will succeed!!

Thanks. I will do that. I also had my husband take pictures.
    I promised myself I wouldn't step on a scale until my next Dr appointment.

BTW Congrats on your weight loss.
    That's an amazing loss for 1yr.
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try your OB doc that is who confirmed mine. They can test you for it. So can Internal Med docs. I wish you the best. Keep the faith and keep up the good work.
  • healthymomy80
    Options
    Congratulations on finally being diagnosed after all this time. I was just diagnosed with PCOS a few weeks ago, but I know that I've had it for a very long time now. I wouldn't be surprised if I have had it since puberty looking back. I should find out tomorrow about the hypothyroidism. Like you, when I found out about the diagnosis it was such a relief! I FINALLY knew for sure what was wrong with me so I could fix it. Ironically I had already started to help it without even knowing it. Low carb and exercise are PCOS's worst enemy. I am still playing around with my macros to get to the right carb/fat/protein ratios where I'm losing weight at a steady but slow pace. I have a feeling I'm going to end up back doing south beach to get the weight loss going again. I have started taking Metformin for the insulin resistance but I can't tell that it's helping with anything. I'm just getting headaches all the time from it. I'm hoping that means it's getting my hormones back to where they should be! Feel free to add me!