do u buy new workout shoes/clothes to get motivated again?

Options
I know it sounds ridiculous, but I do. lol I just purchased new running shoes.
anywho, I am ready to start back up, so any tips or advice on how to stay motivated would be great. I always seem to lose motivation after a couple months.
I am 5'8 and 200, trying to lose 50pounds

Replies

• beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    LOL...No I do the same thing. I buy clothes, shoes , dvd's, dumbbells .Its crzy!!! My husband always ask WHY do you keep buying all this stuff. lol
  • NewKeriSept2014
    NewKeriSept2014 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    LOL...No I do the same thing. I buy clothes, shoes , dvd's, dumbbells .Its crzy!!! My husband always ask WHY do you keep buying all this stuff. lol

LMAO, ya my husband wonders why I need more than one pair of workout shoes.
  • KatOls49
    Options
    I love buying new workout clothes because I want to be able to show them off... It keeps me motivated! I also log on to MFP EVERYDAY...I always log anything and everything that goes into my mouth even if that means I have to exercise a little more to get my number back into the green.... plus if you are losing weight, your old workout clothes might just be falling off anyways so there is always an excuse to get a new set!! :)
  • zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I try to get a good start with what I have, but if I know I can keep up with what I'm doing I will buy something once in awhile.

I just bought a new pair of shoes on sale because mine were hurting my feet terribly and I wasn't feeling like doing much. Zappos. <3
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I am a gear *kitten*.
  • KatOls49
    Options

I also do this with new water bottles!! I have probably like 5 different ones!!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Being active on MFP helped me a lot in the beginning, then making progress really helped motivate me! I also have a tumblr that helps keep me motivated too!

I think getting new workout clothes is a really good idea, I always feel like working out more when I have cute workout clothes to wear! Find whatever works for you and keep doing it! Some other ideas are setting mini goals with rewards attached to them (this works for some, but not everyone), buy a clothing item in a size or 2 smaller and hang it up in your room or somewhere where you'll see it a lot, it'll keep you motivated and you'll feel really good when it fits!

just some ideas! :flowerforyou:
  • NewKeriSept2014
    Options

I also do this with new water bottles!! I have probably like 5 different ones!!

I used to do the water bottle thing lol, now my thing is shoes haha
  • NewKeriSept2014
    Options
    Being active on MFP helped me a lot in the beginning, then making progress really helped motivate me! I also have a tumblr that helps keep me motivated too!

I think getting new workout clothes is a really good idea, I always feel like working out more when I have cute workout clothes to wear! Find whatever works for you and keep doing it! Some other ideas are setting mini goals with rewards attached to them (this works for some, but not everyone), buy a clothing item in a size or 2 smaller and hang it up in your room or somewhere where you'll see it a lot, it'll keep you motivated and you'll feel really good when it fits!

just some ideas! :flowerforyou:

thank you! :smile:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds ridiculous, but I do. lol I just purchased new running shoes.
    anywho, I am ready to start back up, so any tips or advice on how to stay motivated would be great. I always seem to lose motivation after a couple months.
    I am 5'8 and 200, trying to lose 50pounds

Nope. Not at all! Or maybe I'm ridiculous too! :)
    Btw, kutie, I'm just like you! 5'8, 200 (to start... I'm a little while so I'm like 193 or so now. Same goal, too!)

I have never used a log system like this before, so I'm hoping that it will help keep me motivated until I get a handle on managing my food & activity better myself.

Also, I bought a couple of outfits that I just love (FULL price, too!) in hopes that I'll work into them.

Good luck to all of us!!!
  • Blondiegrl11
    Blondiegrl11 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm loving all the bright colors that Nike has right now. I'm a product *kitten* in general though, so it's a great excuse to shop.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I am a gear *kitten*.

I am as well. I refuse to even attempt any exercise for which there are not accessories. I will say that I have yet to purchase an accessory that I have not used. I am quite proud of that. I don't NEED them all, but really, I do.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm loving all the bright colors that Nike has right now. I'm a product *kitten* in general though, so it's a great excuse to shop.
    Yep. Fluorescent Nikes are the best motivation ever! :love:
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don't need it for motivation, I just really really like clothes. Really.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I like to blame my laziness on the fact that I can't buy any new workout stuff. :drinker:
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Buying workout clothes is my new favorite thing! It's literally the only thing in my wardrobe that's in my size and not too big.
  • fayemal
    fayemal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Buying work out clothes got me motivated in the first place :D

I think because I bought them relatively cheaply I'm going to do a reward system of buying nicer, more expensive ones when I reach certain goals.

Great motivator!
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I buy workout clothes, shoes, and gear as 'rewards' for working out consistently.

I recently got a pair of Reebok runners, my first ever 'expensive' workout shoes, and gosh do they ever make a difference when I jog! I love them! And I'll never purchase cheap running shoes again.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    When I switched from wearing old baggy t-shirts and shorts to cute, colorful racerback tanks, capri workout pants with colorful socks and sneakers not only did my confidence increase, but it helped to make me look forward to working out.

Even now I still love buying new workout clothes and good quality sneakers to match.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Definitely!
    I bought new Brooks for running, just ordered the Fitbit One, and bought a whole new outfit for running in!

It makes me want to go out now that I LOOK like someone who works out because of the new stuff :P