Any Vegitarians on here? I need advice!

Options
So I come from a small farming community and everybody eats meat. I grew up hunting and fishing and I always thought it was right. I don't have any problem with people who eat meat but I personally want to try going without it. So basically what I am trying to say is how do I approach this when friends and family are all hunters, fishers and big time red meat eaters. I know they are going to make fun of me and call me a hippie but I don't care. My problem is that it is meat 3 meals a day with my family or with friends. I have cut down to once a day but want to cut it out completely. Any advice would be appreciated and I know I am probably going to even get **** for it on here but oh well. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to own it.
    It's your choice, be willing to take some flak from those that don't understand and since I'm guessing you're over 18 years old don't be dissuaded from your food choices by others.

Be able to articulate to those who ask why you have cut back and are working towards cutting out meat completely.

I've been a pescetarian for over 15 years and was a strict vegetarian in uni.

My friends and family respect my reasons just as I respect their food choices. In fact I look up to my friends who hunt and fulfill their families protein needs almost completely from what they kill. And I let them know I respect that.
    We're adults and don't tell each other how to live our lives so the respect for our choices goes both ways.
  • MeenaKeepRunning
    Options
    Hey! I can kind of relate, my family are big meat eaters, and although I haven't eaten meat (although I do eat fish, which makes it a little easier) for about six years, for the first four years my family did make fun of me and my dad frequently just refused to believe that I had stopped eating meat, or acted kind of embarrassed about the whole thing.
    A big part of my decision was that I just really wasn't very fond of the taste and texture of meat. I do have some ethical issues with meat eating in our culture these days, but I'm not really fussed about what other people eat. Meat eaters however get very touchy about the subject if it is ever raised. I'm so tired of having these pointless (and often insulting) arguments now, that I usually don't mention any of my opinions on the meat industry, and often just tell people that I dislike the taste of meat or that it makes me feel a little ill to eat. I don't know that this excuse will work for everyone- for me it was true, and I've never craved meat, but maybe for some it's not.
    What I would say is just be calm, firm and resolute. Let them make fun of you- who cares? It's your body and it's up to you what goes into it. Just take responsibility for your own meals, don't expect people to cater to your dietry requirements, and you should be just fine :) xx
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I just told them up front explained why you will have some that make comments but really what can they do?
  • Jettisson
    Jettisson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I grew up with a family of meat-eaters, as in people who would be happy eating steak for breakfast! Just let them be them, and you be you. There is no way to "soften the blow," just tell them you're done with meat and if they don't respect that, oh well, they'll get over it eventually. And be prepared to ignore most of their comments involving non-meat-eaters, and the seemingly endless stream of questions that seem pointless to you (they will end eventually). Also, my parents bet that I would flunk out of it after a year, and their bet is still going on! So just stick with your decision. I know that is not solid advice, but that's all I can say.
  • landodewd
    landodewd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I have had heart problems since birth so I think this is the right move for me. My mom and sister are probably the only people who will be understanding.