Does anyone have tips on avoiding over eating??

Options
I'm about to go to do some midnight snacking and I need help knowing what is a good way to distract myself from eating. I'd also enjoy tips on how to avoid over eating during the day too. I need to get this under control :[

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Do you have calories left? If so go right ahead and have something. Otherwise the standards are: brush your teeth, chew some gum, drink some tea or water...but if you have the calories and you're hungry eat something.
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    My tips:

Firstly - distract yourself, even if its watching a movie, sketching, reading, etc just something that passes time and makes you forget
    Drink tea, black coffee, water - all fill you up, plus tea and coffee help increase metabolism
    Chew sugar free gum
    Get up and move around for a bit after eating as sitting makes you feel like youre more hungry than you are
    Drink heaps of water while you eat
    Eat foods that have a lot of protein and fibre - they fill you up
    Eat slowly - i have a general fascination with Japan and im just strange in general so i eat basically everything with chopsticks. It slows things down - and is fun! haha Eating slowly has also just become habit from me due to medical issues, but i prefer it as it takes your stomach about 10 mins to realise its full, so eating slower gives time for that to kick in
    Wear a corset! - haha not really a tip but as a burlesque dancer, whenever you have one on you have very little room for food - and often have to make a choice between eating, drinking, or breathing :P
    ummmmmmmmmmmmm
    Eat large volumes of low calorie foods rather than calorie dense foods which wont fill you up as much

Hmmmmm

Thats about all i can think of at the moment

Good luck!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

As said above - eating food with lots of protein and fibre really helps as this really fills you up eg lean chicken breast (protein), baked potatoes, oranges (fibre).

I have REALLY struggled with this, too especially in the evenings. Said to myself 'to hell with it, I don't care' in an evening and hit the biscuits, cake and crisps - but the next day it's a setback.

I have built my 'overeating' into my plan now - I have two 'free' days a month. Still log everything but eat as much of anything as I want. It has worked for me, it's a matter of finding what works for you. :-)

Good luck! x
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    get into the booze.
  • CometMeebru
    Options
    what's the point of distracting yourself?

learn to control your emotions, why are you eating? it's not because you're hungry. its because its a habit.

how badly do you want to lose weight? if you want it badly enough you should be able to control your urges

think about how irrational it is to eat when your body isn't asking for food. that's like filling up your car with gas while the tank is still full

no thanks jeff
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories are you allowing yourself daily? Obviously it's only 1 picture but from the looks of it you don't seem to really have a weight problem. I might suspect you have your calories set to low.

My first thoughts exact. I suspect the usual 1200 calories and probably thinking it's best not to eat exercise calories.

OP, what is your per week weight loss goal set at and what is your exercise routine