C25k trouble with diet

Options
I've been on the C25k program for just over 6 weeks, I've been able to do every step without repeating any weeks and I'm having a lot of fun. I'm by no means a runner and never have been, I'm overweight so this is a huge accomplishment. I haven't lost much weight while I was doing it, so I finally decided to actually start counting my calories via MFP. This is my first week of running + counting calories and holding myself accountable for the food I put in my body, and today I started week 6 day 2, and I couldn't finish the run. I'm 5'6 and 215-218 lbs ( I don't have a scale, so I'm not sure exactly), how many calories should I be consuming to give me enough energy to continue running? Before I was eating over 2,000 and had very little control over what I ate. This week it's been nothing but healthy stuff and portion control but I'm losing my energy! Any advice? Or meal suggestons for before I decide to jog?

I'm doing the Sydney 9k bridge run in a few weeks and the cut off time is 1.5 hours, I normally run about a 13-14 min mile, I did a 43 min 5k run last Saturday... but I can't maintain this unless I figure out this diet, and I can't lose weight unless I eat less. Please help! Thank you!

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    What are your calories set to now?
  • extrabusy
    extrabusy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just bumped it to 1500 from 1200.
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back the calories you use running? A 30 minute run could amount to 400 calories which would make a big difference to your target.

What did you tell MFP your activity level and desired weight loss rate were? Going for the maximum 2lbs a week weight loss is a lot harder to sustain.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    That should be plenty. Especially if you're eating back some of your exercise calories too. You may just need an adjustment period to get used to eating less. In my experience running is about 80 percent mental. For comparison I eat 1700 calories a day, don't eat back exercise calories and run between 4 and 14 miles a day. Just make sure you're eating really nutritious food! Get the most food you can for those calories.
  • extrabusy
    extrabusy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The MFP settings told me between 1800 and 1900, but that pretty close to what I was eating before. I don't think my current speed burns 400 calories a minute, I think my 30 mins = about 200 calories.

I'm going to repeat the workout tomorrow with hopefully more success. Thanks so much for the input!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Another thing you might want to try is to have something right before your run. I always have a banana about 10 minutes before I leave and I find it to help a great deal. My daily target is set to 1600 but sometimes I go to 1800 and I'm doing a 10k training program which generally has me running 4x/week although now it will be 5x until the program is over in 3 weeks. I also weight train 2x/week. Also make sure you are hitting your macros and that they are balanced.

You can do this!
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    Why I stopped running right here.
    You're gaining lean muscle mass. it's heavy. think about that before you lower your calories.
    for me, it's either or. either eat more workout more or, eat less workout less.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    You're gaining lean muscle mass. it's heavy. think about that before you lower your calories.

Ummm no, you aren't "gaining" lean muscle mass by running. You may be losing body fat to show the lean muscle underneath, but you won't be gain any muscle while eating at a deficit and doing cardio.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I haven't really lost any weight with just running alone. Nevermind the fact that running makes me HUNGRY! I had my calories set for 1550 and ate back my exercise calories (hrm based). I saw my best results when I had weight training thrown into the mix. But since I'm training for a half marathon, Ive been focused on running for the past few months. If anything, I feel like running has made me more flabby and has eaten up 3 lbs of my lbm. I'm now trying out the tdee-20% method and am trying to get back to lifting at least twice a week. Hopefully I'll be able to better maintain my lbm while losing weight. I'm just as confused as you are when it comes to running and the proper amount of calories.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How is the OP gaining muscle????
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You are eating plenty to maintain running.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am following the "MFP way", and eat back the calories I burn through running, so it varies from 1500-1800, depending on the day and the distance gone. Since I eat back my exercise calories, I follow the general rule of 100 calories per mile (to account for error).
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

Ummm no, you aren't "gaining" lean muscle mass by running. You may be losing body fat to show the lean muscle underneath, but you won't be gain any muscle while eating at a deficit and doing cardio.

I can never understand this argument because I am definitely stronger and more muscular than I was when I started here - despite eating at a deficit for 18 months.
  • rduhlir
    Options

I can never understand this argument because I am definitely stronger and more muscular than I was when I started here - despite eating at a deficit for 18 months.
    Gaining strength and gaining muscle mass are two different things...people often times fail to see that.

ETA: You can gain muscle mass when FIRST starting running. But that gain only lasts like the first few months and is hardly a visible gain.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    But doesn't muscle being worked retain more water? Couldn't that account for her not seeing a loss on the scales?

The gym told me that working out increases your metabolism even at rest.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    But doesn't muscle being worked retain more water? Couldn't that account for her not seeing a loss on the scales?

The gym told me that working out increases your metabolism even at rest.

Yes and no...when your legs are getting used to the new idea of running, yes they will retain water. But. like I stated above, eventually those tears will stop because you can only strengthen your legs so much with running. And after 6 weeks, her body should be getting used to the idea of running and it is her endurance that will be the focus rather than strength, which is the whole point of C25K...it is a beginners distance running program.

C25K is often times suggested to be paired with strength programs to help retain muscle mass because usually people who start C25K start it to help supplement weight loss; and this is because the muscle "gain" from newbie runners is so small that a calorie deficit can basically cancel it out...so to speak.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    No no no no no no no no no
  • onefitsurvivor
    onefitsurvivor Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so I don't know what you're eating. I would suggest you eat a lot of protein and you can carb up on your run days. Also, I'm not sure you're calculating your calorie burn correctly. I'm 5'5" and 123 pounds. I typically run anywhere between 3-6 miles several days a week and I burn roughly 100 calories per mile. Do you have a heart rate monitor? I bet you're burning more than you give yourself credit for.

Also, the scale is not the only way to measure your success. I would encourage you to take your measurements on a regular basis. I have found that running keeps me lean. I have had success with weightlifting too.

Stick with it...you'll see results. You can figure this out but it might take some adjusting. Perhaps you'd want to focus on the race and then switch your goals to weight loss afterward. Just a thought!

ETA: Please keep us posted. I'm curious to know how you make out!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I've been on the C25k program for just over 6 weeks, I've been able to do every step without repeating any weeks and I'm having a lot of fun. I'm by no means a runner and never have been, I'm overweight so this is a huge accomplishment. I haven't lost much weight while I was doing it, so I finally decided to actually start counting my calories via MFP. This is my first week of running + counting calories and holding myself accountable for the food I put in my body, and today I started week 6 day 2, and I couldn't finish the run. I'm 5'6 and 215-218 lbs ( I don't have a scale, so I'm not sure exactly), how many calories should I be consuming to give me enough energy to continue running? Before I was eating over 2,000 and had very little control over what I ate. This week it's been nothing but healthy stuff and portion control but I'm losing my energy! Any advice? Or meal suggestons for before I decide to jog?

I'm doing the Sydney 9k bridge run in a few weeks and the cut off time is 1.5 hours, I normally run about a 13-14 min mile, I did a 43 min 5k run last Saturday... but I can't maintain this unless I figure out this diet, and I can't lose weight unless I eat less. Please help! Thank you!

Eat less than you burn, you will lose weight.

Regarding running, you are indeed a runner because you run, so don't start putting yourself down in that department.

You do not need as much grub as you think you do for running. I have run, regularly before now, on 1200 calories per day, lost weight and been absolutely fine.

Good stuff to eat for energy are bananas - these and oranges are the ONLY foods I will eat 45 mins before I go training and they are the ONLY foods I will eat before any 5k races I do. Bananas are a quick release of energy and are not one of those foods that take ages to digest either, hence why they are ideal.

Regarding your lacking in energy during your runs, do you take juice with you during these runs? The reason I am asking is because it has been found that a dehydrated runner's performance drops rapidly, but take just a few gulps of juice or water and your energy level will go back up again.

Some people can run many, many miles without taking in any fluid, I am not one of those - you too, may find you need fluids to take out with you on your run (unless you are already doing so?)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest a banana an hour or so before your run.

I had the same thing happen to me when I started the C25K almost 2 years ago and found that as long as I had a mid afternoon snack and hour or hour and a half before I ran, I wouldn't hit that "wall".

Same thing now. If I do a morning run on the weekends, I have to eat something when I first get up to fuel my body or else I hit the "wall" and can't finish my run. If I do eat, I feel almost like it's efforless for me to run. It's a much better feeling!