Running Pace/Distance

Options
So recently I started running in an attempt to be able to go out running with a friend and not hold him back. My friend runs at a pace of about 4m30sec km, last month I started at 5m45 and as of last night I was able to run at a pace of 4m55sec per km. I've been sort of singing this doing my own thing. I do cardio on machines every day 45 minutes to 1h30 minutes (split between morning and night) and every week I've seen an improvement on my pace.

So the question is, what can I do better to better improve my pace?

Also, my friend runs a little under 6km, and I'm running 2.25km, so I need to be able to sustain my pace for a greater distance, and I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Okay...so your friend runs an average of 6K and you run an average of 2.2K....

Well...you can do a modified C25K program. Since you are already running you can just basically split it up. Start with a 5 minute warm-up walk, then run 5 minutes walk 1 minute for 15 minutes, then cool-down with a 5 minute walk. Every week add another run/walk segment until you are at 6K.

As far as getting up to speed with him, that will come in time. Running is a very individual thing, people gain endurance/speed at different paces so it could take a few months to a year to get up to his pace, that all depends on you. Adding hills, doing fartleks (random speed increases during your runs for random short periods of time), speed intervals will all help increase pace...but I would focus on that after I have gotten up to at least 5K sustained.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    To improve your pace, do speedwork. For instance, warm up for a kilometer, then run 400 meters fast. Rest for 60 seconds. Then run 400 meters again, followed by a 60 second rest. Run 400 meters about six times, followed by a 60 second rest. You want to run the 400 meters fast each time, but slow enough that you are still running at the same speed on your last 400 meters. By doing speedwork, you are likely to improve your pace for longer distance runs. For more on speedwork, check out http://runnersworld.com.