Do you need protein powder?

Options
If you are getting enough protein from food?
MFP has my daily goal as 54g. Today I had 76g of protein from food, yesterday I had 74g from food.
Someone told me that even though I get enough protein from food, protein powder is better for me and I should still have a protein shake each day especially after a workout.

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein. Powders are good for convenience when you aren't getting enough.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I only use them as it takes me a while to get home from the gym and then cook my meal as I have been advised by my trainer that it helps to get protein (particularly whey which is absorbed very quickly apparently?) in fairly soon after my workout to prevent muscle wastage. It hasn't done me any harm.

As far as I know, if you are getting enough protein from food and getting a mixture of carbs and protein within about an hour of your workout then you don't need the shake. It's only if you're not going to be eating for a while after the workout that they may benefit.

See what others say though, this is just what I've been told by the guy who's training me (I've had good results from following his advice fyi).
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Protein from food sources is always good for you!
    Protein Powder is essentially for those who have difficulty reaching their goals.

My goal is 139g of protein a day, and that's the lowest I'd like to go. I have days of 150+g, and I feel best on those days.

The difference is in what I'm looking to achieve here. I am working out a lot, lifting and taking classes. I make sure my protein #'s are high because I am preserving muscle (I'd love to build them up, but on a deficit, it's not that easy) - and losing fat.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You don't need protein powder and you certainly don't have to have a shake after a workout. That being said, I do use protein powder throughout the week to add to my protein levels since I shoot for about 130g a day. I add it to plain greek yogurt, oatmeal and lots of recipes to help boost the protein levels.
  • wibblefps
    Options
    Protein powders are more about precisely controlling intake since your body will absorb protein far faster than from regular food but ONLY if the demand is there, e.g. after a heavy workout. I've been using the stuff for years but mainly because I gym hard and take glutamine as well which increases the protein demand after hard exercise.
  • wibblefps
    Options
    Protein powders are more about precisely controlling intake since your body will absorb protein far faster than from regular food but ONLY if the demand is there, e.g. after a heavy workout. I've been using the stuff for years but mainly because I gym hard and take glutamine as well which increases the protein demand after hard exercise.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If you get enough already then no, definitely not. You might want to consider raising your protein intake though, since it can't really "hurt" and may help you preserve the muscles you already have.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    My protiein goal is MUCH higher than yours ... the MFP default in my opinion is way too low.
    Because of that, I do have at least one protein shake a day and sometimes I add it to oatmeal, greek yogurt etc.

My macros are 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat

I guess the question is just for you... is 50-70g enough for you?
    I personally feel like crap if my carbs are higher than my protein so I switched them.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that even though I get enough protein from food, protein powder is better for me and I should still have a protein shake each day especially after a workout.

I would stop listening to this person if I were you. You don't *need* a shake if you're getting enough protein from the foods you eat. However, keep in mind that the default protein setting that MFP sets you up with is low. So if you end up going "over" on protein, that's not a bad thing :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well... firstly, MFP really has a low setting for protein. My macros are at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats. I don't get the 40/30/30 most days, but that's why its a "goal." I have to challenge myself to meet those goals.

That being said, a 40/30/30 macro ratio puts my protein at 135g daily. I can NOT make that goal without protein powder. Does that mean I use protein powder every day? No... some days I am just content to get 100g of protein, and sometimes, that can be done with a double portion of meat at dinner.

So... to answer the question, no, you do not have to use protein powder if you can get enough protein from food, BUT it depends on your macro ratio and your goals. You are fine like you are, but you might consider adjusting your macro ratios, especially if you are lifting.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If you are getting enough protein from food?
    MFP has my daily goal as 54g. Today I had 76g of protein from food, yesterday I had 74g from food.

You don't "need" protein powder. Depending on what your goals are and how you work out you may "want" protein powder for convenience. I consider MFPs recommendations for protein too low for optimal maintenance of lean body mass while dieting. On heavy lifting days I use a whey protein to sip during and immediately after my workout. On cardio days I just eat normal food. Eggs are the most quickly absorbed "normal food" protein so they would be the best post workout nutrition in my opinion.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein. Powders are good for convenience when you aren't getting enough.
    This is not exactly true, Protein shakes (whey protein) are quick absorb protein sources compared to protein you get from, tuna, chicken and other sources of meat.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    You don't need protein powder and you certainly don't have to have a shake after a workout. That being said, I do use protein powder throughout the week to add to my protein levels since I shoot for about 130g a day. I add it to plain greek yogurt, oatmeal and lots of recipes to help boost the protein levels.

She speaks the truth. I'm around 225g of protein. I try to preplan my meals as much as possible. If I'm short, I'll drink a shake (the most I'll take though is 48g via shakes). I do not necessarily have the shake after I lift either. Since I practice IF, lift in the mornings and my first meal comes at noon the shake doesn't fit.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Do you need protein powder?

No

The real question is if 76g of protein a day is sufficient.
  • musclemama78
    Options
    I prefer actual food post workout. I use protein when I need something quick as a snack because I have 2 kids. I use plant based protein. I am lactose intolerant and whey causes many issues for me.
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Oh I didn't realise MFP default protein levels were low, how much protein should I have each day ?

I have tuna for lunch and chicken breast for dinner.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Oh I didn't realise MFP default protein levels were low, how much protein should I have each day ?

I have tuna for lunch and chicken breast for dinner.

It is usually recommended to eat 0.7 - 1 g of protein per lb of lean mass. But that means you would need to know your body fat percentage, and there really isn't a way to accurately determine that. I just adjust my macro settings to 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbs. Of course, that means I'm supposed to eat 135 g of protein daily which can be hard so I just shoot for 100 g a day.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Here is a rule of thumb I have used over the course of time throughout my weight loss/ lifestyle change. I take in enough protein to equal my desired weight. For instance I wanted to weigh in at 165 pounds so I shot for 165 grams of protein daily. I started this last year when I weighed in at 205 pounds. I have hit my goal using this little formula and now I am in the best shape of my life at 42 years old. I still keep my protein intake level at 165 grams today. I hope this helps you. Take care and have a great day!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Here is a rule of thumb I have used over the course of time throughout my weight loss/ lifestyle change. I take in enough protein to equal my desired weight. For instance I wanted to weigh in at 165 pounds so I shot for 165 grams of protein daily. I started this last year when I weighed in at 205 pounds. I have hit my goal using this little formula and now I am in the best shape of my life at 42 years old. I still keep my protein intake level at 165 grams today. I hope this helps you. Take care and have a great day!!

Man, I would like to try this. But I don't think I could get that much protein in a day without heavy supplements. I rarely make 135 g of protein in a day. How do you manage it? Would you mind opening up your diary?

*By this formula, I would be at 170 grams a day. I'm tall and big-boned.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Each shake that I do is 26g of protein, 150 cals. I will do 3 a day, sometimes 4. Its the EAS 100% Whey protein. Best tasting I have found and I have tried several different kinds.