Gym Etiquette Rant

Options

Replies

• LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    ^^Zoe, I'm suspecting they were body weight squats or DB squats or some such, not barbell squats.

And contrary to what one of the above posters said, I find the guys in the free weight area to be incredibly polite and friendly. Of course, I'm a 6'1" 230 lb black guy with huge arms and a shaved head, so YMMV. No, but seriously, when I've watched other guys at the gym interact with women, noobs, smaller lifters or whatever, I've found everyone to be extremely courteous. The trick is, almost no one LOOKS courteous and polite. Headphones on, aggressive music playing loudly, mind focused on defeated the iron, none of us looks like a Wal-Mart greeter. But if you ask someone for help, or space, or a spot, or how many sets they have left, they snap out of it and will answer you politely.

I'm sure they are exceptions, but I've been in and around gyms for 20 years and this is what I've seen pretty much everywhere. I was once a skinny and weak 20 year old that knew nothin bout nothin and was intimidated by the big monsters in the gym too. Then I asked one of them a question and they basically stopped everything to help me. I've seen much more of that than of the rude stuff

Definitely! And I am a woman! People love to help! I have even had those young kids who I taught in 3rd grade Sunday School come up to me and tell me how proud they are of me! Give them a chance! Develop an acquantinceship. You will find that most gym rats are really nice and helpful. The ones who aren/t usually don't stick around!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm also confused at what you were doing and where but in a small gym as you've described you are going to have to get used to being crowded. Some times at the gym just require a little more patience. But I also agree that if you were in your warmup, it should be out of the way of others.
    Like someone else posted I've never had people look down on me or give me bad vibes. I've always found the weight section friendly.
    FTR - I'm also 5'5 and I never considered myself small or looked down on. I always thought I was tall. Lol.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't the point of this thread, but you should never do static stretching prior to working out. Do a google search, but you can actually increase your chances for injury.

The only warm up that is needed is doing sets with a lighter weight.

Agreed. I NEVER stretch before any kind of workout, especially running. The few times that I have ever been injured were related to stretching. If I want to warm up I'll do some walking first or other light cardio. For weights, I always do a set with lighter weights to warm up before I switch to heavy. :flowerforyou:
  • magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So let me explain. My 'stretches' which consisted of aerobic type exercises and push ups were done in the stretching area, on the other side of the gym. 'Doing my thing' meant my actual lifting time. I merely meant he was getting in the way when I was trying to look in the mirror and focus on my form. It was downright rude of him and yes I should have said something but I decided to leave it. As for the area of the gym, you have only two real spaces for people. In the middle of the small rug of an area is a bench press. There are about 3 mirrors long on one wall and another mirror on the adjoining wall, but it's so close to the corner you can only see the weights anyway.
    These were school boys, just got back to school this week. What annoyed me was not their lack of warm up, it was them coming in, grabbing the biggest weights they could and trying to lift them. I saw their 'form' before I left and they will get hurt. Let them for all I care. If anything, they'll learn and come back nicer people for it. I can't be the only one who has a bad gym experience can I?

As for me stretching, let me figure it out on my own. I'm not lifting light enough or heavy enough, it's just right for me but that being said I like the stretching. I do 10 minute cardio warm up. I did aerobic style stretches and push ups then went to lift.
  • magentamorbid
    Options
    if you're "doing your thing" so close to the racks of weights that people have to wait for you to finish or squeeze in front of you to get to the dumbbells or plates, you're doing your thing in the wrong spot and you're the rude one, not the other person. yes, they should wait, but no, you should not be in a place that prevents other people from accessing the equipment.

Once again, 'my thing' is my lifting time. The end of the rug/area was just behind me and the weights in front of me. There are only two proper places for lifters. In the middle and taking up most of the room is the bench press. Not my fault if my gym is set up like that.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others--I think you're going to need to bite the bullet and join another gym, or find a way to cope with people walking/standing in front of you. Perhaps if you go at a different time your current place will be less busy? You might ask at the front desk for their least busy days/times.
    yeah, thats what i'd do! if your gym opens up real early,or stays open till late at night, you will beat the rush hour.
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    1000514_WSAW12508K_A_400.jpg
    Weider 25 lb SpeedWeight Adjustable Dumbbell $59.00 x2
    Universal UB300 Flat/Incline/Decline Bench $110.00
    Gold's Gym Door Gym $19.97
    Total $247.97

My suggestion is to replace the cost of your gym with a selective weight set like above and do your thing at home. Add an incline/decline bench and it will fit into your living space easily. Drop a mirror in front of you and problem is solved.
    Spend a bit more for a better set and you can do any workout you want.

My space is mine. When I was young I could go to a concert and get bumped around smashed like sardines and didn't care much. Now, my arm distance is your danger area. Stay out of my arm distance, or lose a finger or something more.

People today have lost all sense of common decency, I think the constant rude behavior is attributed to non stop reality TV and glorified outbursts that dominate the news...But hey that's me.

I've used weights for over 30 years and I have always stretched out prior to and during working out. Maybe because it's been 30 years, but my muscles need stretching to work right. For me, I'll tear something or pull something if I don't.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Find a bigger, 18 and older gym. Can't control what other people do - unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who only care about themselves. Life's too short to get mad over stuff at the gym.

Yes. A thousand times YES. :huh:
    I hate it when the place is mobbed with youngsters, they don't strip their weights are are generally oblivious to others. However. If you ask them nicely, they're likely to get outta your way.

More often than not, I've found (at least here in NY, Long Island) that they aren't trying to be buttheads, they're just not paying much attention and they kinda jostle each other vying for position, I think they don't realize that behavior doesn't wash in every situation. :laugh:

When my gym is crowded with kids, I personally get me a whopping case of tunnel vision. I only know about what's going on around me within a 6-8" bubble circumference that exists in only my head. :blushing:

I'm usually the only girl down there in the heavy weights section and sometimes folks park themselves right in front of me & when that happens, I turn inward & concentrate on my form visualizing all the youtube videos & .....:frown: .........just realized how people seemingly are 'rude' at the gym :laugh: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: woops :laugh: :laugh:
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you are determined to go to this gym, then you have to be willing to get your "Alpha" female on. These people who feel that it's ok to be rude or try and push you around (which is what they are doing either directly or subconsciously) then you have to respond in kind. It's like dealing with dogs, if you are in charge, you better really think you are the pack leader or the stronger dog will fill the void.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Wait, so the problem is that they blocked the view of yourself in the mirror? THAT'S the issue here? Lol. You only get the space where you're standing, not the entire plane in the front of you.

Double lol at a gym noob criticizing form and saying who is going to get hurt or not. The good people of this forum just gave you free advice to prevent you from hurting yourself by stretching before lifting and you seem put out by it. I'd concentrate on not getting hurt yourself if I were you.

Like I've said before, a lot of these gym etiquette rants really come down to the ranter not knowing what gym etiquette actually is
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if you're "doing your thing" so close to the racks of weights that people have to wait for you to finish or squeeze in front of you to get to the dumbbells or plates, you're doing your thing in the wrong spot and you're the rude one, not the other person. yes, they should wait, but no, you should not be in a place that prevents other people from accessing the equipment.

Once again, 'my thing' is my lifting time. The end of the rug/area was just behind me and the weights in front of me. There are only two proper places for lifters. In the middle and taking up most of the room is the bench press. Not my fault if my gym is set up like that.

There is no "proper place for lifters"

unless we are talking about squatting, OHP, or bench in which case.. you squat in the squat rack- over head press in the squat rack or bench on the bench.

seriously- you can pick up DB's and move them anywhere- I dead lift anywhere- we have like 8 benches- and 3 squat racks. I will only monopolize the squat rack for squatting and OHP and occasionally for my full dead lift sets depending on how crowded it is- I *prefer* to do them at the racks- but I have no shame moving the bar somewhere else to free up space.

PS- this has nothing to do with you being a woman.
    And contrary to what one of the above posters said, I find the guys in the free weight area to be incredibly polite and friendly. Of course, I'm a 6'1" 230 lb black guy with huge arms and a shaved head, so YMMV. No, but seriously, when I've watched other guys at the gym interact with women, noobs, smaller lifters or whatever, I've found everyone to be extremely courteous. The trick is, almost no one LOOKS courteous and polite. Headphones on, aggressive music playing loudly, mind focused on defeated the iron, none of us looks like a Wal-Mart greeter. But if you ask someone for help, or space, or a spot, or how many sets they have left, they snap out of it and will answer you politely.

I'm pretty much the opposite of you- white- hair- pasty... and only 5'8". I bump chests and rough house with the best of them for iron.... some of my best friends there are your size. I would fully concur with what you said- they LOOK mean- but everyone is often SUPER helpful- and super nice.

The regulars anyway... yeah there are ALWAYS a few douchcanoes but it happens. When I do walking lunges- usually by the time I'm done- I can't lift the bar over my head- someone always helps... and often it's not someone I actually know. Usually just some stranger. And I've come to aid more than one person who needed a spot or a lift.

It is what it is- that's the gym community.

If I had to rant one thing
    Like I've said before, a lot of these gym etiquette rants really come down to the ranter not knowing what gym etiquette actually is
    it would be women who tend to ***** about "all the guys in the free weight section" and "lack of smaller weights' who bogard all the 10-20 lb weights and walk off with them to some recessed corner and then don't feel like they are obligated to bring them back... same said people ***** about never having weights.
    grumble
  • magentamorbid
    Options
    Wait, so the problem is that they blocked the view of yourself in the mirror? THAT'S the issue here? Lol. You only get the space where you're standing, not the entire plane in the front of you.

Double lol at a gym noob criticizing form and saying who is going to get hurt or not. The good people of this forum just gave you free advice to prevent you from hurting yourself by stretching before lifting and you seem put out by it. I'd concentrate on not getting hurt yourself if I were you.

Uh yeah! Sorry but standing in front of someone for a fecking long time like that is rude, not just in a gym but anywhere! Focusing on form is my main goal at the moment and with someone in the way it becomes difficult no? Why are mirrors there in the first place? Not so someone can stand in front of it all day deciding what weight to use. Most of the other lifters there, having been there more than a week have common decency. Maybe I don't know everything about gyms but I know when someone is being rude to me.
    No, I'm not an expert, I've only just started lifting heavy, but I've been doing weights and been in this gym for months now so I do know a thing about gym etiquette. Standing around huffing and puffing, waiting for a spot is RUDE. Standing in front of someone when they're clearly lifting weight and watching themselves in mirror is RUDE. Almost hitting the person holding heavy weights is RUDE. I'm not being vain, I'm focusing on not hurting myself.
    And well done on your intelligence when you have to resort to calling someone a noob. That's very helpful.
  • magentamorbid
    Options
    There is no "proper place for lifters"

unless we are talking about squatting, OHP, or bench in which case.. you squat in the squat rack- over head press in the squat rack or bench on the bench.

seriously- you can pick up DB's and move them anywhere- I dead lift anywhere- we have like 8 benches- and 3 squat racks. I will only monopolize the squat rack for squatting and OHP and occasionally for my full dead lift sets depending on how crowded it is- I *prefer* to do them at the racks- but I have no shame moving the bar somewhere else to free up space.

PS- this has nothing to do with you being a woman.

If I had to rant one thing
    it would be women who tend to ***** about "all the guys in the free weight section" and "lack of smaller weights' who bogard all the 10-20 lb weights and walk off with them to some recessed corner and then don't feel like they are obligated to bring them back... same said people ***** about never having weights.
    grumble
    [/quote]

We do have a designated area for weight lifting as that's the only place with mirrors. Seriously there are only about 3-4. It wasn't about being a woman to me, but people in my area are like that unfortunately. It doesn't usually bother me, but yesterday it did.
    I'll get a pic of my gym if I can to prove how small it is as everyone seems in doubt. I would take weights with me to the stretching area but I don't like interrupting people lifting when I have to return the weights.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Uh yeah! Sorry but standing in front of someone for a fecking long time like that is rude, not just in a gym but anywhere! Focusing on form is my main goal at the moment and with someone in the way it becomes difficult no? Why are mirrors there in the first place? Not so someone can stand in front of it all day deciding what weight to use. Most of the other lifters there, having been there more than a week have common decency. Maybe I don't know everything about gyms but I know when someone is being rude to me.
    No, I'm not an expert, I've only just started lifting heavy, but I've been doing weights and been in this gym for months now so I do know a thing about gym etiquette. Standing around huffing and puffing, waiting for a spot is RUDE. Standing in front of someone when they're clearly lifting weight and watching themselves in mirror is RUDE. Almost hitting the person holding heavy weights is RUDE. I'm not being vain, I'm focusing on not hurting myself.
    And well done on your intelligence when you have to resort to calling someone a noob. That's very helpful.

No, but how do you REALLY feel about this :huh:
    :laugh: I keed I keed :blushing:

Apparently you feel very strongly about this, and so either decide it's a deal breaker and look for other viable options or start throwin' 'bows :wink:

Either way, it'll work itself out.
    Don't let it get you all riled up, there's plenty in the world to get your dander up about, this at least you have some control over if you choose to :drinker:
  • magentamorbid
    Options
    Sorry, I was editing and a lot of the quotes got cut out, but that's all quote before my reply. -_-'
  • magentamorbid
    Options
    1000514_WSAW12508K_A_400.jpg
    Weider 25 lb SpeedWeight Adjustable Dumbbell $59.00 x2
    Universal UB300 Flat/Incline/Decline Bench $110.00
    Gold's Gym Door Gym $19.97
    Total $247.97

My suggestion is to replace the cost of your gym with a selective weight set like above and do your thing at home. Add an incline/decline bench and it will fit into your living space easily. Drop a mirror in front of you and problem is solved.
    Spend a bit more for a better set and you can do any workout you want.

My space is mine. When I was young I could go to a concert and get bumped around smashed like sardines and didn't care much. Now, my arm distance is your danger area. Stay out of my arm distance, or lose a finger or something more.

People today have lost all sense of common decency, I think the constant rude behavior is attributed to non stop reality TV and glorified outbursts that dominate the news...But hey that's me.

I've used weights for over 30 years and I have always stretched out prior to and during working out. Maybe because it's been 30 years, but my muscles need stretching to work right. For me, I'll tear something or pull something if I don't.

Thank you, I'll have a look at getting my own weights at home. Also I 'm glad someone else stretches beforehand. Everyone's acting likes it the end of the world or something. I do a warm up first then static stretches after lifting for a cool down. That what I've been taught by my dad (PT) but if it's not for everyone then fine.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    so......

it's rude to call a noob a noob? it's not a criticism, it's what you are. we were all noobs once.

and get over the mirrors. mirrors aren't some gym right. my gym has a wall of windows across the two longest sides of the lifting area. lots of gyms don't have mirrors on many walls but that doesn't mean it's not a lifting area. it's a gym. any area that is safe to lift in IS the lifting area. access to mirrors has nothing to do with whether a spot is "designated for lifting" or not. Mirrors are nice and all, but there are a ton of exercises where staring at yourself in the mirror is a good way to lose your form.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

We do have a designated area for weight lifting as that's the only place with mirrors. Seriously there are only about 3-4. It wasn't about being a woman to me, but people in my area are like that unfortunately. It doesn't usually bother me, but yesterday it did.
    I'll get a pic of my gym if I can to prove how small it is as everyone seems in doubt. I would take weights with me to the stretching area but I don't like interrupting people lifting when I have to return the weights.

But everyone has to deal with this at some point. We have the rack of dumbbells with the mirror behind it and benches in front, just like every gym I've ever been in and people have to get their weights, and they have to return them. You shouldn't be hesitant to do that in front of someone's workout, it's a necessity. And if that is what was happening in front of you that has you all twisted, you may need to step back and consider that this is how people have to share space sometimes.

So this is what I am coming to understand, you are set up in this same sort of area doing your squats and are upset that people are stepping in front of you to get the weights they need and they are blocking your access to a mirror so you can check your form, right? Well, forget watching yourself in the mirror because that is a good way to not be in correct form. See Dave's comment about losing form. This is the absolute truth and he knows what he is talking about. I go out of my way to avoid looking in the mirrors or my form goes to crap. If you want to really make sure you are set right, you need to be video taping yourself and you don't need a mirror for that. Problem solved.
  • magentamorbid
    Options

But everyone has to deal with this at some point. We have the rack of dumbbells with the mirror behind it and benches in front, just like every gym I've ever been in and people have to get their weights, and they have to return them. You shouldn't be hesitant to do that in front of someone's workout, it's a necessity. And if that is what was happening in front of you that has you all twisted, you may need to step back and consider that this is how people have to share space sometimes.

So this is what I am coming to understand, you are set up in this same sort of area doing your squats and are upset that people are stepping in front of you to get the weights they need and they are blocking your access to a mirror so you can check your form, right? Well, forget watching yourself in the mirror because that is a good way to not be in correct form. See Dave's comment about losing form. This is the absolute truth and he knows what he is talking about. I go out of my way to avoid looking in the mirrors or my form goes to crap. If you want to really make sure you are set right, you need to be video taping yourself and you don't need a mirror for that. Problem solved.

I can understand what you're saying and thank you for putting it a bit nicer. Yes it's the internet but I still prefer talking to people who talk to me, not at me. Am I getting too hung up on my form then? I have a tendency to arch my back and bend my head down if I'm not watching myself. Maybe I was hyped up on adrenaline so it all became skewed. My point still stand though. If you can see someone is looking in a mirror, don't just stand there. In fact don't stand around the weights at all! Pick em and move on.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

What is wrong with these people?

They are male, Magenta. They think they have more right to be there than you do - simple!