Weight Watchers to kill my plateau?

Options
Yesterday I made this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1090633-plateau-from-hell. Please look at it first. Who thinks that doing WW might help break my plateau?

I don't want to quit MFP. I'm not saying that, but honestly, I followed their requirements and it's not getting my body going...

PS The link has to be copied and pasted... don't ask me why! lol

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The link doesn't work
  • The link doesn't work

It has to be copied and pasted... don't ask me why! lol
  • Uh... helllllppp?
  • Uh... helllllppp?

Or not... so much for support... lol
  • if you separate out the period from the link, the link will work.

As for weight watchers, do it if you think it would help change things up. *shrug* Have you recalculated your calories lately? After you've lost that much weight (and congratulations, by the way!) you should click on the "goals" tab and run the calculation again. The number of calories needed at 170 is a lot different than what you needed when you started!

Bravo for sticking with the running! I started trying with Couch to 5K, but kept hurting myself. (Pulled something that wound up feeling like plantar fascitis, Achilles tendonitis, rolled an ankle...)
  • mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you think it might help, go ahead and try WW for a while. It's a very successful program and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything. Maybe your body just needs to get out of it's routine for a little while. Good luck!
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You had some great suggestions on your previous thread, I would follow those first. If you really want to join WW go for it, but not sure it will break your plateau...
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I thought you were so excited about this approach? What happened in the last two days?
    First think I'd say is that you aren't eating enough. Way too many 900 calorie days in your diary, and that's not enough food, and eating too low isn't giving your body any reason to want to burn fat.

If I were you - first thing I'd do is go read this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 Read it twice, or ten times if you need to, but read it and understand the info there. Then grab a measuring tape, and using the tools and step by step instructions in the thread, run your numbers and find your BMR and TDEE. Make sure you follow the steps in the thread, which are slightly different than the instructions on the calculator.

Once you're armed with these numbers you have your boundaries - you want to eat in between BMR and TDEE, probably about a 20% cut from TDEE to get your daily goal.

You mentioned strength training - if you have access to heavy weights, like barbells and all the big stuff, start a lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules Of Lifting for Women. If you enjoy running, keep at it, but don't go crazy with it - three days of lifting, three days of running (or walking, or kickboxing, or whatever cardio you want to throw in there). Take rest days.

Absolute best results I've had with losing the fat has been since setting my goals according to that thread. And I don't even lift heavy - no gym, and no space at home for the big weights, but I do the best I can with dumbbells at home, and running - my workouts are rarely over an hour per day, and if they are it's usually because of a 20 minute dog walk. :tongue:

Eat well - food is fuel! Eat your calories, drink water, exercise, get good sleep, take rest days, repeat.

I am seriously excited to try this out! Can you add me and help me out? It's so frustrating to me that I can have fast food for my meals for 3 weeks, be 176 and then run 5k 3x a week for months and be 6lbs less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FML!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    weight watchers basically has you eating 1200 calories a day.. so I doubt that is going to break your plateau.
  • sbenner17
    sbenner17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Actually Weight Watchers is based on carbs, dietary fiber, protein, and fat. They no longer calculate calories. I use both Weight Watchers and MyFitnessPal to keep myself in check. I personally love going to the meetings and making friends that understand your struggles and are constantly giving you new ideas.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I read your original and, Weight Watchers probably isn't the answer you're looking for.

I was a WW lifetime member for years, and then GAINED about 16lbs on their most recent program! (I'm okay, MFP helped me take it right back off.)

Fruit and most vegetables are "free" on WW - but they're not free - they have calories in them. If you'd like to know what kind of dolt can gain weight eating too many green beans and bananas, have a look at my pictures, because the answer is, "Me!"

GOOD NEWS: If you've had some success with MFP, you're already on to something better than WW and FREE, really free! (I kicked myself for paying for WW for so many years.)

You may want to change the kinds of food you're eating, how much you're eating, or revamp your exercise program for a kick start, but stay with it.

I wish you every success.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps keep me on track with WW is the weekly weigh in. It gave me accountability and helped keep me on task. I didn't want to pay just to see a gain!
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1090633-plateau-from-hell. Please look at it first. Who thinks that doing WW might help break my plateau?

I don't want to quit MFP. I'm not saying that, but honestly, I followed their requirements and it's not getting my body going...

PS The link has to be copied and pasted... don't ask me why! lol

It's because you have a period in the link. Put a space after your link and then the period. Once you take the period out, the link will work.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I had stalled for almost 18 months. Rejoined Weight Watchers and have lost 15 more pounds. It works for me. So, I do WW and MFP and that makes me doubly accountable. ;) Whatever works for you. But Weight Watchers isn't a bad way to go to help with the accountability and also more support.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I only looked back 3 days in your diary and not one day is complete (or you are eating ~500 cals a day....)

If you aren't being accurate here, why will you be accurate on WW?

This program works, immensely, as long as you work it!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on losing weight! Your food diary shows a very low carb/low calorie diet but your post is a little confusing to me. You've stalled in your weight loss and want to know what to do to continue to lose weight and build muscle? Is this correct? I would try upping the carbs a wee bit, going back to a consistent exercise schedule, and in general eating more. If WW can help you do this, go for it!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. WW might help you look at your food choices in a different way, which could help you break your plateau. As for WW=1200 calories, thats not necessarily true. When I was leaving WW (for the cost not the program) I plugged in my usual food log and MFP and WW were within a few calories of each other. With all things related to weight loss, it depends on HOW you are spending your calories. I disagree overall with the calories are calories mentality.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I thought you got some really great tools in that thread yesterday. Why pay for WW?