You want how much money???

Options
OK - Have about 15 pounds or so to loose. And I am the CARDIO QUEEN - I love to sweat, it clears my head, it get my blood pumping. I feel GOOD after cardio. I workout 5-6 days a week - typically 30-50 mins of machine cardio or running. One day a week I up it to 60-90 mins and go for a 10-15 km run.

At the gym I look a the weight lifters with jealousy and admiration and longingly wish I had that motivation - you see I feel good after cardio - I just feel achy and sore after weights. However, I want a long, lean and strong body and deep inside I know that I need to do the dreaded weights to achieve that. So - I am gonna to weights, but need a little help getting me going.

So, I thought "hire a trainer!" - maybe 10 sessions at most, get set up on a program or two I can cycle through 3 times a week (max of 30 minutes each time). I was totally expecting $50-$70 per hour - kinda had a $500-$700 budget in my mind. So, I decided to check with the gym about a trainer to get me set up on my program - I am calling it in my mind the "Busy Mommy Program". Now, I go to a very well known gym that doesn't post prices of anything on there website. I was totally in the price range for my hourly rate except the "fine print" - you gotta sign up for a min of 24 sessions (which they don't even show you the price for) - 36 sessions is the lowest on their chart - over $2000 cdn. They even have payment plans. <sigh> I don't want to work out with someone for 36 sessions and don't want a commitment with payment plans. I'm not leasing a car - I want a program that I can adjust every now and then with a trainer and do merrily by myself at the gym 3 times a week (when I can fit it in - somedays it could be 5 am some days 9:00 pm after the kidlets are sleeping. Any suggestions. I am pretty sure I can't hire a private trainer at an hourly rate to get me set up on my "Busy Mommmy Program"…HELP and suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Does the gym offer a comlimentary initial consultaion with a trainer?? Most gyms I've been to do, but you should ask!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you have a planet fitness near you go talk to them about personal training, you may be able to do it there without getting a membership, just the training sessions. Really, talk to any other gym about it, again you may be able to get the training sessions without the membership.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I used to use a trainer once a month to keep me on track, change things up a little and keep my form correct. There is no reason to work with a trainer each session really.

I would tell your gym to stuff it, and find someone who is a trainer to give you a program (even if you have to go somewhere else) and work with them periodically and do the rest on your own
  • levenfyfe
    levenfyfe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with just a programme and not the personal motivation, I can recommend BodBot.com (there's a phone app, too). I've been using it for 2-3 months now: you put in your own details, your exercise goals, how often and how long you want to train, and it organises a programme for you. If I take my phone into the gym it works as a checklist, I can tap off the things I've done as I do them. Works well for me, anyway.

The basic version is free. I'm currently paying the $10 a month for the advanced version but not really using those features.

(Edit: This sounds like an advert, bad for my first post, I know. I'm not affiliated with them, I just like the service)
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've never heard of a minimum number of sessions. Most gyms (including mine now) will give you as many as you want. Maybe you can contact another gym and see what they offer?

My schedule is crazy, too, so I couldn't set a time in advance, but I do 20-30 min cardio and about 30 minutes of weights, bosu, etc. I just plan my own workouts. Most gyms will have a one or two time session just to show you how to use everything.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey check out venusindex.com if you join before Saturday you can get in on the last fitness transformation of the year. I have been athletic all my life and was lifting at the gym before I started this program but I don't think I would have managed to make the changes to my body that I have in such a short time on my own. Level one is pretty inexpensive and you get access to the community, it really helps to keep you motivated and asking questions of the previous Venus ladies that have managed to get to their goals. Believe my once you feel comfortable lifting you will never want to go back to only cardio, lifting changes everything!
  • _namaste_
    Options
    Don't bother with a trainer. Start with a beginner program that focuses on compound lifts, start light, learn good form, and do it on your own.

Here are two amazing programs. I started with strong lifts 5x5 and am now working with the All Pro routine. Learning proper form is key and although having a trainer could be nice for a few sessions it's not necessary and as long as you go slow and watch videos/etc. I feel proper form can be learned on your own.

Here is a link to Stronglifts: http://tracker.dailyburn.com/workout_programs/87561-StrongLifts-5x5-Beginner-Program

And a link to the All Pro routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

You are right - the body you crave will come from lifting. I used to do mostly cardio with lots of yoga/bodyweight and I didn't start looking the way I wanted until I made weights the basis for my training. I have come to really enjoy it and feel great after lifting just as cardio can make me feel. I still do some HIIT a couple of times per week if I have time too, cause it's great and gives a similar afterburn like lifting. You may want to consider investigation HIIT / intervals and make them part of your cardio routine. I get the same "cardio happy" feeling from HIIT as I did from steady state running but it can be so much better for you in terms of after burn / building and maintaining muscle than steady state cardio is.
  • KittyJoi
    KittyJoi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to use a trainer once a month to keep me on track, change things up a little and keep my form correct. There is no reason to work with a trainer each session really.

I would tell your gym to stuff it, and find someone who is a trainer to give you a program (even if you have to go somewhere else) and work with them periodically and do the rest on your own

Why would you tell them to stuff it? Rude much?! If you don't like the way they do things try another gym who has a different policy, it's a pretty simple fix.

Amanda
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This is a bit of a long shot ..... but do you have a community college in your area? Our local community college offers "adult continuation" classes in beginner strength training or beginner yoga. The prices were very reasonable.
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Join a good crossfit Gym. It will be around $100 a month. You will get a trainer everyday. They will have a different workout for you everyday. It will be with group. You will have the best workouts of your life and meet a ton of nice people. You will still have $ also ;)

My gym has Level 1, Level 2, and pro type workouts. Level 1 $100, Level 2 is more , Pro is more than Level 2

Believe me it will kick your butt. I lost 10 lbs in 3 months but most of my gain is from the last few weeks when I started using MFP seriously ( 3-5 lbs).

My gym trains you for about a 1.5 weeks before you are allowed to do the workouts. They will tailor t he workouts for you until you are ready to do a full workout. You need this time to get used to the exercises and condition your self for the full workout.

If you are looking for a cheaper solution this is it. If you think it's not enough do 2 workouts a day. There is schedule for the workouts also, usually really early to mid morning/lunch then starting at 4 PM to 6 PM. Workout times range from 30 mins to an hour not including warm-up which is workout itself. So a 30 min workout could be very intense. Again, it will kick your butt, you will not regret it and you get your trainer.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips - I think I am going to check out the online tools/apps. I am really happy with my gym (except for this personal training thing) and super excited as they are opening up a location next door to where I work - so I may even do weights on my lunch break. Personal motivation isn't an issue for me - I am pretty self-motivated (some may say stubborn :) so once I make up my mind I am going to do something I do it...I just want to do it effectively and efficiently.

I jsut hate putting out that much money - when I lost over 100lbs (on my own), one of my friends joined a SUPER expensive weight loss program - one that actually didn't encourage excercise. She was pushing me to join too so we could do it togehter. Then she paid lotsa money for the maintenance plan (sadly she regained it all and then joined again and regained....). She asked me once what motivated me to keep the weight off and I told her - I won't pay someone else lots of money to keep me fit - I pay myself by booking too hot holidays a year. It costs the same as her maintenance and loss program (perhaps even less) and nothing is more self motivating that wearing a bikini for 14 days in the winter. :)

Thats is what is riving me to get back to where I want to be...gained back 20 of my 115 loss in 5 very stressful months. I have kicked my *kitten*, I know how that feels and now I have 15 more to lose. You know, sometimes its the misteps that give you clarity (even if it is a 20 pound mistep).
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I agree with namaste, you will likely be fine starting a beginner program like Strong Lift or New Rules of Lifting.
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ok, it may not be for you but until you try it you will never know...

I was the same way(worked out on my own cardio weights,paid 2K for a life time membership at 24 hour fitness (rarely used it due to schedule, kids, etc...) and worked out in my living room. until I tried it.

Now I will never go back even if I have to live in a box to do it:laugh: . It's easy to keep going for me. I sit at my desk all day working and eating sometimes ;) . Bam at 4:30 o'clock, throw kids in the car and to the gym I go (There is a room for the kids there). 4 times a week crossfit and hockey on Sat night. No workout planning, it's already done.

3 months since I started (approximately 16 crossfit workouts or more a month, $6 a w/o)

Go luck and go Canucks unless they are playing the Pens!:bigsmile:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started lifting by reading "the new rules of lifting for women" and looking up the exercises on bodybuilding.com and YouTube. Then every once in a while I ask my hubby to check my form.
    I've got to get more into it again, but IMO you can get a decent start by reading up on and selecting a program, and then asking someone (who knows what they're doing) to have a quick look at your form. Maybe I am optimistic here, but if you keep your movements in the proper ranges for natural joint flexion and keep a straight back, your form can't be too bad.
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    Cant find another personal trainer? Here in Australia they range from $50 a session usually. At my gym $40 a half hour. I do a PT sesh every fortnight to get my technique right. Give it a go on the machines to start then move onto free weights.
  • sueclare38
    Options
    If you really enjoy the sweaty burn cardio gives you but want to include weights then try kettlebells. 10 minutes of fast squating while swinging a kettlebell through the legs gets me sweaty as hell and I don't feel at all sore lie I do with normal weights

this is my favourite kettlebell move.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9vEYM_CnZo
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    hmmm.... 10 sessions ends up going really quickly and most people are just getting the basics down when it's over so 24-36 tends to work better for a 3x a week lifter. that said, forcing people to commit to 2-3 months with a trainer they might not even get along with seems foolish to me. check and see if they have a 3-5 session intro package. nobody makes any $$$ on those so they'll be reluctant to mention it so you might have to ask *forcefully*. Explain to them that you're interested in a larger package but that you want to make sure that you and the trainer click before you commit. You might even get a free session out of that.

that said, check around for a nearby gym with a better policy. even better, instead of joining a gym, check around for free lance trainers. many trainers start in a gym for economic reasons, but once they get established (and experienced) they work for themselves. most will have access to a local studio with the right equipment and can train you there. then you don't have to pay gym fees for a new gym or leave the one you currently like.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You could also find someone who is studying to become a personal trainer. They will usually gobble the experience up and some might even do it for free for that. Just know that they are not certified, but they are working on it.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    save your money, pay yourself and get motivated. make up your own plan. There is alot you can do and you don't have to pay someone else. Pay YOURSELF and when you reach goal you have money to buy new clothes.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You could also find someone who is studying to become a personal trainer. They will usually gobble the experience up and some might even do it for free for that. Just know that they are not certified, but they are working on it.

i'm gonna say that this may be a bad idea. there are spme certified, working trainers that suck, so getting someone that hasn't even started yet is a real crapshoot. you'd probably have better luck finding a friend that lifts and having them help you. there's a big gap between book learnin and actual hands on experience