Gym Etiquette Rant

Options
13»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

What is wrong with these people?

They are male, Magenta. They think they have more right to be there than you do - simple!

Sometimes I get crappy service at a restaurant and I wonder if it's because I'm black. Maybe. But most of the time it's just a crappy restaurant or server and everyone is getting treated to crap service. Those guys at her gym would have done the same thing if I was trying to look in the mirror. No one owns mirror rights. It's not a man vs woman thing
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

They are male, Magenta. They think they have more right to be there than you do - simple!

That's not been my experience at all actually. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's a pretty generic stereotype. Also, the girls are much worse than the guys at my gym. They are hardcore and pretty awesome.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So, I have a solution.

Find a gym like this.
    http://www.chromepersonaltraining.com/

Cost will prevent pile ups, and you can get your liftin' on without having to worry. Plus, when you have a question, the folks there will be on point with answers. Done and done.
  • dbmata
    Options

That's not been my experience at all actually. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's a pretty generic stereotype. Also, the girls are much worse than the guys at my gym. They are hardcore and pretty awesome.

Unga, me man. Me have club. Me own world.

Unga. Boobs.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

And with that kind of attitude you will likely find it to be the case.

I work in a male dominated profession. I never approach a situation with the attitude that I am being treated different because I am a woman. Surprisingly, I've never found that I am treated differently because I am a woman.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Unga, me man. Me have club. Me own world.

Unga. Boobs.

157hvk5.gif
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    They should have waited until you were completely done with your workout before they went and got weights for themselves that is so frikking rude omg!!!!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Wow, that's quite the sweeping generalization you have there. You might want to get that checked out.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I work in a male dominated profession. I never approach a situation with the attitude that I am being treated different because I am a woman. Surprisingly, I've never found that I am treated differently because I am a woman.

^This is an excellent point. I have noticed this for myself at well.
  • dbmata
    Options
    157hvk5.gif

That rocks!
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    if you're "doing your thing" so close to the racks of weights that people have to wait for you to finish or squeeze in front of you to get to the dumbbells or plates, you're doing your thing in the wrong spot and you're the rude one, not the other person. yes, they should wait, but no, you should not be in a place that prevents other people from accessing the equipment.

I agree with OP - In my gym there isn't another place to "go". They will not let you take the free weights or the barbells out of the "cushioned" area...and they just keep encroaching on the free weight/bench area with silly machine thingys that no one uses! drives me nuts...do we REALLY need a ladder hanging from the sky?? Instead, we just stand around and wait for each other and YES there are the occaisional Poo Heads that think they own the world; and yes, there are days i threaten to go to a different gym. However, i have learned to put up with the inconvenience becasue the price is right, the location is great and the cardio room kicks butt.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    When I lift my sessions are front ended with a larger muscle group and my warm up is lighter to heavier sets of that, so don't judge based on what you think is acceptible warm up.

As far as shuffling around, I suppose I'd need more information, but I workout in a small gym and a large gym. The large gym is nice, but at the small gym we tend to jockey around each other to exercise. You get it in where and when you can, that's it. It's funny because instead of scowling at each other it's become a really comfortable environment where we all lift, occassionally ask about the kids or holiday plans or whatever, and get along all friendly like.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I was unaware that being male was a problem- it's just a state of being- plumbing issues as it were.

It isn't a problem. You're high horse though on the other hand... might be more of an issue- how do you get any lifting done up there on that thing?

this

to the millionth degree. I've been working/living/functioning in a male dominated world since I was 18. I have never been treated any differently as long as I assume we are all there to get a job done.
  • micheleb15
    Options

to the millionth degree. I've been working/living/functioning in a male dominated world since I was 18. I have never been treated any differently as long as I assume we are all there to get a job done.
    [/quote]

Can't agree enough - male dominated world here too. Honestly, the women that have the "I have to prove something, because I am a woman" are the biggest pains in the butt for everyone. I'd much rather just work with the guys.
  • micheleb15
    Options
    dup. I suck at quoting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    [quote

[/quote

just add an end brackets- should do it for you.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Well, this thread got interesting.

I'm a woman in my early 40's (41 to be exact, yeah I'm getting old), and I have never once felt out of place or intimidated in the gym lifting weights. I started in my late 20's.

Regarding form: the only way to check your form is to video yourself or have someone qualified to watch you. If you're relying on the mirrors, your form will not be correct. You will injure your neck.

Also, as a noob, please don't assume that someone else's form is off. I was doing heavy clean pulls once and someone (well meaning I'm sure), told me I was doing deadlifts wrong. I simply explained that I wasn't doing deadlifts and told him about clean and snatch pulls. I also know my form on these is fine because I take olympic lifting classes twice a week and have a coach to critique me.

My current gym is small and I have had problems with the elderly walking behind me while doing heavy overhead squats. And people woking out right in front of the dumbbells! That is the worst. ! My solution is to find another gym. I love the hours of my current gym, I just want something that is more suited to my current goals. I will miss the old folks, but if I want to improve my snatch, I need a place with platforms and bumper weights.

So, OP, if your current gym isn't suited to you, find another place.

(And don't stretch before working out, really a good way to injure yourself).