Would you eat poop to be skinny?

Options
GiddyupTim
GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
New York Times today has an article showing that the bacteria in your gut may determine whether you are skinny or chubby. They found this out be having mice eat poop from skinny people and heavy people.
Eating poop from skinny people produced skinny mice, and eating poop from fat people prodcued fat mice.
Which raises the question: Would you eat poop if it could make you skinny? Would it matter if it was a little or a lot?
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/health/gut-bacteria-from-thin-humans-can-slim-mice-down.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    NO! :angry:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    that explains why the actresses in 2 girls 1 cup are so skinny.
  • JimDandy4
    Options
    No.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    326.gif
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    annnnd barf.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    :sick: no no no no.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mbpfw9kww91rg7q18o1_500.gif
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    That IS NOT what that article says! They injected the bacterica into the mice first and saw the result. THEN the chubby mice were caught eating the skinny mices poop cuz well that is what animals do. They then saw the chubby mice's metabolism speed up and get skinny.

Unless you are out to just get crazy conversation started, you really need to read things like this completely and then quote them correctly. Atleast you posted your source so people can get the correct info.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    47321-Felicia-Day-oh-hell-no-gif-Bh6N.gif
  • M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Where the poop at?
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Do you really expect a yes answer from anybody?
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mseikxmYDY1qmqfpm.gif
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    in... for the funny gifs!

200x200px-ZC-e349a839_Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Man, if there is some sort of judgement day in the end of time, it will be rough for humanity if we are judged by our treatment of mice & rats.

I really wish I was there for that meeting when they decided to go with this research.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't to save my life!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    there are much safer and more hygienic ways to get a particular strain of bacteria into your gut, than by eating poo

NOT recommended!!!

oh and eating poo on a regular basis probably will make you skinny through repeated bouts of gastroenteritis.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Mary Roach discusses this a bit in her new book, GULP. People DO get "poop transfusions" to correct bowel issues. Although I have not heard of it being done for weight loss, or by eating it.

Heck, if I have "chubby" gut flora, I'd certainly like to know it and would have a poop transfusion if it would help me manage weight long term!

I did eat a big chunk of the placenta (raw, in a berry smoothie) from my last pregnancy to help restore iron levels post birth (it certainly helped!) so I'm not opposed to eating a skinny person's ___ I guess, if they could capsulate it? Or I will just stick to a transfusion and keep the whole experience out of my mouth.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    47321-Felicia-Day-oh-hell-no-gif-Bh6N.gif

^^^^THIS
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Gross. The study DIDN'T have the mice eat people poop (or any poop) they 'transfered gut bacteria'. The mice on their own eat each others poop but thats not how the study was administered.

If I was unable to lose weight through normal exercise and healthy eating I'd definitly try a bacteria transfer :)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mbpfw9kww91rg7q18o1_500.gif

heck no