Lacking confidence...

Options
Does anyone have advise on how to improve your confidence? I've lost over 50 pounds but still don't have confidence in the way I look.. Accepting the way I am now is a struggle-- It was easy before to hide behind the chubbiness and know that I'm not that pretty because I have so much extra weight.. but after the weight is gone and I still don't like the way I look what do I do? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Ashykins
    Options
    I've got 37 gone and I still don't like my body also, but I have so much to go, and it's pretty rewarding to see my body slim down though, that and my mentally about food is what keeps me going. Plus all the healthy benefits too! Everyone has their "blah" point and I've been there, that where it's important to remember how hard you've worked and how much you've overcome and accomplished. 50 lbs isn't a small number!
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, this is one of the hardest things to figure out, in my opinion. I have always lacked confidence, and my friends would always say, you just need more confidence! Well, hello, I can't just DECIDE to have confidence. It's not really a conscious choice to be confident. Either you got it or you don't. But I think what can help you towards getting confidence is identifying the negative thinking patterns that you have and making a conscious, concerted effort to change those patterns. I'm talking cognitive behavioral therapy here, baby. :) I don't know specifically where you're falling apart, but if it's appearance-based, think about what the crazy, irrational things are that you tell yourself about your appearance, and then try to identify why they're irrational and what other options you could have as beliefs about yourself.

Also, per my faves Stacey and Clinton, a makeover can be very rewarding if you can afford it..... even if it's on a mini-scale, like a few new outfits and a hairdo polish...

Anyway, good luck!!! It's going to be an uphill struggle, but you can change your thought patterns if you're ready and able to work at it!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    you are a pretty girl heavy or smaller...you have to learn how to "see" yourself differently....learn to accept compliments for what they are, observations on how you are seen by the people around you....we are always our own worst critic....make yourself feel beautiful by maybe getting a makeover - buying a new outfit, new hairstyle that suits the new you, head to the makeup counter at the mall and let them "play" around with the colors and whatnot that work best for you....make yourself beautiful by someone else's eyes and then take a very hard look at yourself and SEEEEEEEE it for yourself.....get dolled up and "fish" for compliments with your great looks.....i can tell you it will be hard to take at first but the more you feel you look better the easier it will be to realize it is true....you are a pretty girl and you need to work on that....no one should feel bad about themselves no matter the shape or size they are.....
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Carrie- thanks so much! I've had this problem before my weight loss too and my friends have said the same things.. just be more confident! Not that easy... you said it! I'm going to research cognitive behavioral therapy a little... and a little makeover sounds nice.
    Thanks for helping me :)
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of reading lately on confidence as part of a leadership fellowship that I am involved in, and so I wanted to share a viewpoint that I found interesting. The idea is that many people go through their lives focused on their weaknesses- things that they are changing/need to change. There is a lot of research supporting the idea that people are more confident and effective when they focus on their strengths - things that they are already good at. The book was focused on the context of business, but I think it is just as applicable in real life. Instead of focusing on things that we need to change, we should focus on our strengths - skills that we have and things that we like about ourselves. This includes success in a program such as myfitness pal - it takes a huge amount of willpower and motivation to lose weight, and you should congratulate yourself for being a strong enough person to do so! And you can use this power that helped you become a more fit person and apply it to confidence and mental battles as well. Arm yourself with a list of things that you love about yourself, and when you feel yourself becoming unconfident, remind yourself of all of your strengths instead. It's like choosing to eat an apple instead of a cookie - its hard to do at first, but in time you won't find yourself reaching for the cookie in the first place.
  • melbhall
    Options
    I know how you feel. It's hard to suddenly find confidence when you've been missing it for so long. I like the idea of giving yourself a makeover, new you, new attitude. What about doing something new? Like, I've always been interested in photography and found an adults digital photography class I'm thinking about taking. Doing something I'm interested in and succeeding in something I'm interested in will definitely boost my self esteem! Good luck to you. I know it's not easy, but you will overcome this. Look how far you've come physically, you are just as strong mentally, you just have to believe it!
  • Julesaf
    Options
    This may sound strange, but I look at myself in the mirror multiple times a day and tell myself, "You are beautiful!" I then spend about a minute or two (when I'm alone) looking at myself and making a pretty face or something. I find a good angle of my face and just look at myself for a little bit. I'm aware this sounds a little crazy, but it's reeeaally changed from how I used to think of myself. And this isn't me at my happy weight, so it can work at any size.