cardio before weights? weights before cardio?

Options
I know there are different opinions out there, but my question is about maximizing my weight loss. Currently I run 30 minutes 5 times a week and just this week started weight training again after taking the summer off (kids out of school, no time for gym, etc.) I'm trying to fit in 45 minutes of weights at least twice a week, maybe three times if my schedule allows. So I've read and spoken to my trainer about the benefits of lifting first then doing cardio. Silly question, but do they have to be done together? Or can I, say, do my weights, go to work, have some lunch, then go for a run? Or is that like two totally separate workouts in one day?

Replies

• _liftnlove
    Options
    Sure, you can do them separately. If that's what works best with your schedule, then do it! I actually prefer to split it up like that, but it doesn't always work out for me. :flowerforyou:
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely split them up. I only do one day of both each week (which is my big workout) and the rest of the time I alternate. When I do them both, I do the cardio first, then the weights.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I always split it up (because I can't fit it into my day due to my job). 3 days a week cardio 3 days a week lifting/weights. I’m not saying that’s the best, but I do know that doing it is better than not doing it at all.
  • FrankieB127
    FrankieB127 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Commenting to keep tabs on this topic: I'm very curious about this as well, because I've heard arguments for both.

Example 1 Cardio first, weights second because weight lifting will fatigue your muscles and you could risk injury doing cardio afterword.

Example 2 Weights first because you want your muscles "fresh" to get the maximum benefit from lifting.
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do a 5 minute warm up on the rowing machine (Intervals), then my lifting routine (which changes daily) and then my cardio. Some days I have to split them up due to time restraints but I would say try to do a warm up, then lifting, then cardio if you can. That is what I learned from my trainer.
  • lysa4
    lysa4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Same here...Cardio to "warm up", then weights (which I alternate days - legs one day, arms another) and more cardio to "cool down"...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    They don't have to be done together. You can split them up just fine. However if you are going to do them together, then it's best to do some light cardio for warmup purposes, then weights, then the bulk of your cardio afterwards. The reason being is because for reasons involving both maximizing results and, more importantly, SAFETY, you cannot start a weight training session already experiencing fatigue.
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Each will sabotage the other to some extent (in terms of energy, that is - they will complement one another in other ways). So, if better cardio ability is your goal, do it first and then supplement with weights. If gaining strength and toning is your goal, do weights first and then cardio. Either way, it's generally considered best to have workout days and resting days (note that "resting" doesn't necessarily mean "sedentary"), otherwise your body won't have time to recover.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I do a 5 minute warm up on the rowing machine (Intervals), then my lifting routine (which changes daily) and then my cardio. Some days I have to split them up due to time restraints but I would say try to do a warm up, then lifting, then cardio if you can. That is what I learned from my trainer.

That would be ideal, but I don't have time to do it all at once...unless I get up at 4:30 am and that's not going to happen. Currently I get up at 6 and run, then get my kids off to school, go to work, have lunch, lift (2 times this week), then work, home, etc. My trainer says that for maximum weight loss, it would be better to lift first, then run. Not sure how I can squeeze this into my schedule, so I was thinking on lifting days I could lift at 6 am and run after lunch....but I was wondering if the maximum benefit would be to do one right after the other....this is where I get confused....
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works best for you, there's no right answer.

I lift Mon/Wed/Fri and do 30 to 45 minutes of cardio Mon-Fri after lifting. It's easier to push to the end of the cardio routine than it is to push heavy weights after a cardio workout. My body adapted.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've always done cardio first, then weights. That has always seemed to work for me.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    If I'm doing a full cardio 'workout', then I definitely do that on days where I'm not lifting weights.

I do, however do a 15 minute low-intensity (<- important!) run/elliptical immediately before and after lifting; before to warm up and after to maximize calorie and burn for that day's workout. Works for me.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Each will sabotage the other to some extent (in terms of energy, that is - they will complement one another in other ways). So, if better cardio ability is your goal, do it first and then supplement with weights. If gaining strength and toning is your goal, do weights first and then cardio. Either way, it's generally considered best to have workout days and resting days (note that "resting" doesn't necessarily mean "sedentary"), otherwise your body won't have time to recover.

My goal is simple: to not be fat anymore! LOL

Edited to add: of course I want to be healthy and strong and blah blah blah but bottom line I just don't want to be fat.
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In that case, your emphasis should probably be on cardio and supplementing with weights.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    weights before cardio otherwise you won't be able to generate as much effort as you could to lift heavier weights which is what makes you stronger
    cardio on the opposite days from weights

think of cardio as CV training not as something for weight loss ---- for weight loss, eat less and sleep more and hit the weights as increased muscle mass will allow you to burn more calories 24/7.

as a recent topic here on the forum was titled, "you can't outrun your fork"
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm a fan of the cardio warm up, lifting, cardio & cool down. I get up at 0430 and am usually on the treadmill by 0500, lifting by 0530, and back on the treadmill around 0630. That way I can beat the spin class to the showers ;)

Honestly though it's best to experiment until you find something that works best for you. I used to break it up into "cardio" days and "lifting days," but I lacked the motivation to *want* to do cardio on my cardio days. I was just too tired. Now I get the best of both worlds 5-6x a week!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    cardio after weights. only moderate cardio. Weights or intense cardio will burn into your glycogen which can last only 30-40 mins. after that you start burning muscle. so if burn all your glycogen doing weights then after do moderate cardio which will cut into your fat you will burn fat. if you do intense cardio after weights you will burn muscle. if you do weights after intense cardio you will also burn muscle.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    When I have a gym membership it includes: 20 minute cardio warmup, 40 minutes weights, 1 hour cardio (swimming). Yeah, I had a gym addiction when I was younger.

But always weights before cardio (after a warmup), you don't want to have fatigued muscles when lifting.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do both in one work-out session ... warm up for 5 minutes with some cardio ... even jumping in place will do .... then do the weight training. Follow that with 30 minutes cardio. Then do stretches.

Reason being is that you want to use your big muscles while you have more energy for them. Cardio does nothing for them but does help your stamina and cardiovascular system ... so work the muscles before you're tired out from all that cardio.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I always used to do strength then cardio (because that's how I was introduced to strength training), but a book i read recently on running suggested to do strength after. I figure that's because of the approach of doing what's more important first (as in do you want to improve your cardio more or your strength).
    I like running more, but I worry about proper form for lifting more than whether I can run at 100%, so I stick to doing strength first.