My story- need help

Options
spencermag
spencermag Posts: 5 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Here it goes. I am a 31 year old that is having a very hard time dropping the pounds. According to MFP I am supposed to consume 1200 a day which I have been doing. I also have been working out at least 3 times a week for an hour. In 4 weeks I have only lost 3 pounds. I am getting very discouraged. I am open to any suggestions!!

Replies

• heleine28
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, you are losing weight which is the key just maybe not at the speed you would like. Alot of times people will start out slow with weight loss but the keys is too stick with a good/healthy eating plan combined with fitness.

Keep your head up... It may just be a matter of tweaking a few things or being patient. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here who will be-able to help. Just a few questions though, Are you eating back your calories after working out? How much are you trying to lose? How tall are you and your current weight?
  • GCanha
    GCanha Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged- you're trying to be healthier and that's all that counts.

1200 calories a day if you're working out 3 times a week seems a little low to me. When I consume less than 1200 (whether I work out or not), I do not lose weight- but if I stay a little above 1300 I tend to lose.

I think you just need to find the balance that works for you.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Have your measurements changed? It could be that you're shedding fat but gaining muscle or your muscles are holding onto water.

If your measurements are at a stand still too, my very non-medical advice is to up your calories. Everyone I've known who has done the 1200 calorie diet thing has either a. not been able to lose weight or b. gained it all back once they started eating at a normal healthy amount again.

Look into figuring your TDEE number and subtract 20% from that for your calorie goal. Or just slowly start upping the calories by 100 a day until you get to 1500 and try that if you prefer. Upping calories has worked for most of the women I've known who were on the 1200 plan. Upping calories gave them more energy for workouts, fueled their body better, and helped them start losing weight more consistently.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! Slow weight loss is the goal because it promotes good health for your body. Keep up the good work This will need to be a permanent lifestyle. Going on a strict diet to shed pounds and then going back to old bad habits just leads to regaining the weight plus more. It is the cliche "yoyo diet." Unfortunately it is a cliche based on reality. I know this from experience.
  • Jdavism
    Options
    Seek out a certified nutritionist in your area. Normally hospitals have them on staff, like the other posters said. Sometimes 1200 isn't right, especially working out that much. A nutritionist can help you put together a meal plan with proper portioning of carbs/protein etc.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Most of the other suggestions are great ideas and you are losing! Remember a month that you are down is better than staying the same or worse yet gaining! Be patient and keep exploring what you are doing... I've seen people with high sodium intake not losing due to water retention... T.O.M. is also difficult for many women... My sister had huge constipation issues with increased protein and insufficient green matter in her diet... Keep exploring things that you can improve and you will. I've been on here just over a year and have dropped 182 pounds and I am still figuring out new things everyday!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged- you're trying to be healthier and that's all that counts.

1200 calories a day if you're working out 3 times a week seems a little low to me. When I consume less than 1200 (whether I work out or not), I do not lose weight- but if I stay a little above 1300 I tend to lose.

I think you just need to find the balance that works for you.

I agree that 1200 is to low for working out three times a week. Back when I was working out that same amount of time, I averaged between 1360 and 1450 calories a day. I lost about 60 lbs this way.

Mow I run & weight train 3 times a week and walk (briskly) on the off days, and my calories are generally between 1400 and 1600, sometimes more, depending on how I feel. I have lost 21 lbs so far.

1200 is generally the lowest an average female should have to survive. If you exercise, you should try to eat some back.
  • spencermag
    spencermag Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you response. I only eat back about 200 a day when working out. My 1st weight lose goal is 30 lbs. My current weight is 186 and I am 5'4' so I have weight to lose.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    3 lbs in 4 weeks sounds like you are a success story. Enjoy your loss!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Yes please understand that 3 pounds in 4 weeks is actually great progress. If you have 30 to lose, then your loss is reasonable and expecting more will leave you frustrated. The only people who will consistently lose more than a pound a week are those with a lot more to lose.
    A lot of people begin MFP with unrealistic expectations, expecting a few pounds a week. It's a slow process, have patience.
  • kittiesandfarts
    kittiesandfarts Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Keep up your hard work, our bodies are very resistant to weight change. You'll see more results soon :)
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same as you when I first joined MFP over two years ago (we're the same height), and averaged no more than a one-pound-per-week weight loss. You're doing fine...really! : ) Best wishes for continued success.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Just remember, the slower you lose the weight the more time your skin has to adjust = less saggy skin when you reach your goal :)
  • roxypoxy123
    roxypoxy123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How much water are you consuming. Water is one of the most important parts of loosing weight which I don't think many people get. If you drink your eight glasses plus I will guarentee you will lose............
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I felt this way until I started tracking everything that goes into my mouth. I didn't know how much I was really eating. I just started measuring everything and not picking at food while I cook and lost 3 pounds this week. I know I can't/won't track every little thing forever, but I was logging "1 cup" when I was really having 1.5 or 2 cups and it really adds up. I'm almost exactly your height and weight... Hope this helps! Good luck :)
  • melissawrites
    Options
    I know it's hard to keep going if you don't feel successful. My theory is that if something isn't working, change it. And so I see your question as what should you change. I only know the basics, but I think basics are very important. One thing that I'd look at is the percentages of carbs, fats, and proteins. In this app, you can see a lovely pie graph on the home page of an ipad (but I can't find it for the life of me on the computer version). It's really shocking to me how mine stack up--and if I'm not at least 25% protein, I'm not losing as much. Second thing--are you drinking enough water (from the person who doesn't)? Third-- are your calorie counts accurate? Are you weighing or measuring your food and recording everything? Last -- Are the changes in calorie and exercise you've made significantly less than what you were doing before the diet? If you were only eating 1800 calories before and you exercised half as much, then you should expect to lose at a slower rate than someone who was consuming 2200 and never exercising. One more last thing, those people in the before-and-after diet ads who lose more than 1 or 2 pounds a week have that little disclaimer at the bottom -- “results not typical”.
This discussion has been closed.